Singapore Expats

Evening Snack

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Evening Snack

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 4:15 pm

When hit "Evening Snack" in Google Singapore, I get primarily webpages based in India. :?

Do you guys have Evening Snacks? What are good options for quick and healthy snacks?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 4:19 pm

1. Baby carrots (either raw or boiled)

2. Unsalted unsweetened nuts (good for office boredom)

3. Fruits (berries are the easiest)

4. Steamed/boiled edamame (my favourite!)

To be honest, I've weaned myself off evening snacks so I no longer have the need for that. :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 5:35 pm

I have to stop the Evening Snack again! I had it stopped for 4 years and somehow, in the past year I've allowed it to start happening again. So it's cost me around 7 kg that I've now got to lose all over again. Sure which my knees were better! :-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 7:21 pm

roti prata and a tea tarik for me :D

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 8:35 pm

One or two squares of chocolate.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 8:37 pm

Turnips, celery stalks, carrot sticks or whole heads of lettuce should fill you up. Drink plenty of water while you're at it.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 8:47 pm

Wah, chocolates yum yum(but 2 squares not enough), turnip yuck yuck :) Cant there be something that tastes nice and healthy as well?

Currently I do 2 slices of whole wheat bread with peanut butter, but I want to diversify.
Last edited by Wd40 on Wed, 18 Sep 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 8:49 pm

Put a little salt then.

Bread and peanut butter? Tsk, tsk...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 9:41 pm

A family sized bag of kettle chips and 3 beers.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:28 pm

Hannieroo wrote:A family sized bag of kettle chips and 3 beers.
And she needs it ;)

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:46 pm

lots of water and some melon - just finished, if still hungry see Hanieroo...
nutnut

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:18 pm

The only fruits that give me the feeling of "eating" are banana and papaya. Everything else feels so watery.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:53 pm

If this is related to your earlier "fitness" thread then you should ideally be doing 5-6 meals a day for the most appropriate lifestyle. Each meal comprising a good mix of carbs, veggies and proteins.

I have been doing 3 meals a day in the recent past and sometimes only 2. Most often my evening snacks is just 2 cigarettes and some drink.
Trying to revert back to the 5 meals a day schedule.

I am assuming you realize that doing a heavy dinner ( esp a couple of hrs before bed) does more harm than good.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:02 am

bloodhound123 wrote:If this is related to your earlier "fitness" thread then you should ideally be doing 5-6 meals a day for the most appropriate lifestyle. Each meal comprising a good mix of carbs, veggies and proteins.

I have been doing 3 meals a day in the recent past and sometimes only 2. Most often my evening snacks is just 2 cigarettes and some drink.

I am assuming you realize that doing a heavy dinner ( esp a couple of hrs before bed) does more harm than good.
Thanks. Yeah, I too have read that having 4-5 small meals a day is better than 3 grand meals for losing fat. Also, guess what being an Indian vegetarian means even those 3 meals were not so grand calorieswise or qualitywise in the 1st place. That convinced me more than anything else, that its ok to have a proper evening snack. I mean you need 2000 calories a day. There is no way you can get that much calories in 3 meals, if there is no meat in there.

For dinner, its kind of heavy. I am trying to reduce the rice and increase the salads. Also I take dinner at 8:30-9:00 but go to bed only past midnight, sometime even later, so that helps.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:25 am

Wd40 wrote:
bloodhound123 wrote:If this is related to your earlier "fitness" thread then you should ideally be doing 5-6 meals a day for the most appropriate lifestyle. Each meal comprising a good mix of carbs, veggies and proteins.

Thanks. Yeah, I too have read that having 4-5 small meals a day is better than 3 grand meals for losing fat. Also, guess what being an Indian vegetarian means even those 3 meals were not so grand calorieswise or qualitywise in the 1st place. That convinced me more than anything else, that its ok to have a proper evening snack. I mean you need 2000 calories a day. There is no way you can get that much calories in 3 meals, if there is no meat in there.

For dinner, its kind of heavy. I am trying to reduce the rice and increase the salads. Also I take dinner at 8:30-9:00 but go to bed only past midnight, sometime even later, so that helps.
2000 cals is only if you are trying to maintain your weight/increase it. If you are trying to shed your body fat you might want to consider decreasing it by 300-400 cals ( 1700 cal/day ) and doing cardio which burns off another 300 cals/day. That way you would be shedding 600 cals/day ( 9000 cals in 15 days or 2 kgs/month ).
For dinner I have heard nutrionists hinting towards a decently heavy carb meal ( whole grains/complex carbs ) and low protein as your body needs sugar/glucose to run your system while you are at rest and burnt fat at the same time ( you can burn fat only if you have sugar/glucose in your blood ).

Most of my Indian colleagues who get their lunch from home have their boxes loaded with carbs and and veggies only. I have tried to convey the message of a more balanced meal, only to fall on deaf ears. The concept of "home cooked food" seems to be more appealing to them than the concept of a balanced diet. I would never buy into this concept.