Singapore Expats

Booze costs

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Waffer Theen Meent

Booze costs

Post by Waffer Theen Meent » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 7:11 pm

Hi everyone,

Just trying to decide whether or not to import my wine and spirits into Singapore, and it comes down to how expensive it would be to buy the equivalent in Singapore.

So here are my calculated import costs. Can someone tell me if this is more or less than it would cost in a Singapore supermarket?

Thanks!

750 ml Champage : 6.30 SGD
750 ml red wine : 8.14 SGD

1 l Absolut vodka : 28 SGD
700 ml Sambuca : 18.60 SGD

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 7:14 pm

Substantially less. The prices here are ridiculous. 6 corona are about 20 dollars.

Waffer Theen Meent

Post by Waffer Theen Meent » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 7:38 pm

Including for the spirits?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 7:39 pm

Waffer Theen Meent wrote:Including for the spirits?
Especially the spirits
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 8:48 pm

I get my vodka duty free but a litre of decent gin ranges from 70 for bombay to 120 for Hendricks. Cognac is even worse.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:06 pm

If you already have it it is probably worth to import everything. If this is a new supply you are going to buy I would only import the spirits. You can buy things like M&C NV locally for S$70-85. I think the difference after the import tax is marginal or non-existing.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:20 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I get my vodka duty free but a litre of decent gin ranges from 70 for bombay to 120 for Hendricks. Cognac is even worse.
The absolute best place to buy hard liquor is a small store in Little India on Serangoon. If they don't have your brand, they can typically order it.

Examples: JW Red - $42 versus $60 at Jasons, Fair Price, etc.

It's on Serangoon... a block or so before Mustafa's

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=230+Sera ... Q50v3VUQUg

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Booze costs

Post by Saint » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:17 am

Waffer Theen Meent wrote:Hi everyone,

Just trying to decide whether or not to import my wine and spirits into Singapore, and it comes down to how expensive it would be to buy the equivalent in Singapore.

So here are my calculated import costs. Can someone tell me if this is more or less than it would cost in a Singapore supermarket?

Thanks!

750 ml Champage : 6.30 SGD
750 ml red wine : 8.14 SGD

1 l Absolut vodka : 28 SGD
700 ml Sambuca : 18.60 SGD
Quote here total cost you will pay and what for, spirits yes, but others need more info. I can quite accurately tell you if good deal or can get cheaper here.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:21 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:I get my vodka duty free but a litre of decent gin ranges from 70 for bombay to 120 for Hendricks. Cognac is even worse.
The absolute best place to buy hard liquor is a small store in Little India on Serangoon. If they don't have your brand, they can typically order it.

I think I know that place. We have passed by it several times :) It kind of looks wierd for a liquor selling shop, haven't seen that kind of shop selling liquor anywhere else in SG.

There is another place further down serangoon road called i-Tec supermarket at 371 Serangoon Road.

They are wholesalers for lots of beverages including liquor. I have seen some good deals for certain beers. Not so sure about hard liquor though.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 1:21 am

Other alternatives - there is a bottle store 3 doors down from the one I just mentioned above - larger selection but about 10 percent more.

There is also a place in the back side of Furama City center... not as good a selection but also cheap.

naanwar

Post by naanwar » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:42 am

Strong Eagle wrote:

what is the name of the store?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 11:11 am

naanwar wrote:what is the name of the store?
Chandna mart, don't worry, from outside you can see nothing but liquor bottles ..

Strong Eagle: Did you say JW RED ?? ouch .. that's the least palatable blend I have ever tasted ..

PS: Whiskey, unless exposed to sun, doesn't get bad .. so .. I never worried about the quality of NEW bottles, unless the lable looks weathered - a la been sun burnt ..

Waffer Theen Meent

Post by Waffer Theen Meent » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks for all the info guys!

Not only do I have the answer to my question, but I also now have lots of suggestions to buy stuff once I arrive 8-)

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 11:08 pm

ecureilx wrote:
naanwar wrote:what is the name of the store?

Did you look at the street view picture?
Chandna mart, don't worry, from outside you can see nothing but liquor bottles ..

Strong Eagle: Did you say JW RED ?? ouch .. that's the least palatable blend I have ever tasted ..

PS: Whiskey, unless exposed to sun, doesn't get bad .. so .. I never worried about the quality of NEW bottles, unless the lable looks weathered - a la been sun burnt ..
OK, OK - I've also bought Dewars White Label ($42), plus MacCallan 12, JW Black, and others... I can't remember the specific prices except to say still far less than Cold Storage, Fair Price, etc.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 2:26 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Substantially less. The prices here are ridiculous. 6 corona are about 20 dollars.
Not sure where you're shopping but I'm buying cases of Corona (24 x 330ml bottles) for $39.99 at the shop outside Giant at Turf City. Cases of Peroni were also on offer but I've think that's finished. Also noticed that the Cellarbration chain had M&C at $56 a bottle down from $118. These guys always have case deals as well.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.