Singapore Expats

Badly Need Advice of all of you

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:49 am

parivinu wrote:Thanks everyone for all your valuable replies..

that is a nice idea.. that is what I am thinking..we have paid 3 months advance rental since he we bargained the rent and he said he will give concession if we pay him 3 months advance rental..
we want to play safe and act sweet.. and also he said PUB bills 224$ where we came just a month ago.. just wondering how come it is so much where it includes gas+water+power where we dont even use AC since AC is not working.. We asked for the bills he was telling "you pay first and then will issue the receipt and bills". he was pressurizing so finally we paid..

Now we thought if he is the owner he cant do anything since he is already getting lots of ppl coming home and telling that they would take legal action against him..that is first point
second point is legally he is not supposed to rent a house where one room being locked..
third point is he is in need of money and he cant just let us go..

we liked the house very much.. and the spot is also is nice and near to our office.. so
what my husband and I thought, Lets not pay him rent for another 3 months and lets not pay PUB bills.. let him do.. if he asks then we would tell as you guys suggested "we still have not got our pay". now let us play the game :)

what do u guys think shal we go for stamping the paper or not ??
See I knew it! 3 months is a bit too long to put up with a crack landlord without paying him the rent. Wish you good luck!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:22 am

Wd40 wrote:

that is a nice idea.. that is what I am thinking..we have paid 3 months advance rental since he we bargained the rent and he said he will give concession if we pay him 3 months advance rental..
we want to play safe and act sweet.. and also he said PUB bills 224$ where we came just a month ago.. just wondering how come it is so much where it includes gas+water+power where we dont even use AC since AC is not working.. We asked for the bills he was telling "you pay first and then will issue the receipt and bills". he was pressurizing so finally we paid..

Now we thought if he is the owner he cant do anything since he is already getting lots of ppl coming home and telling that they would take legal action against him..that is first point
second point is legally he is not supposed to rent a house where one room being locked..

we liked the house very much.. and the spot is also is nice and near to our office.. so
what my husband and I thought, Lets not pay him rent for another 3 months and lets not pay PUB bills.. let him do.. if he asks then we would tell as you guys suggested "we still have not got our pay". now let us play the game :)

See I knew it! 3 months is a bit too long to put up with a crack landlord without paying him the rent. Wish you good luck!
Singapore's version of advance fee fraud....

Dert42
Regular
Regular

Post by Dert42 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:28 am

you need to get out of there.
don't pay anything more.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:07 pm

The PUB bill sounds about right.... I think you're strangly enough in a good position - he needs you and you need him.

The one room locked business means that you are staying as his guests in the house and not his tenant. It's an old ploy that is wearing thin with the HDB but it might still fly.

parivinu

Post by parivinu » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks for reponse.

Ok.. we will stay for another 3 months and move out .. So I dont think I will have any problem if I do not get stamp paper..

till then will be sweet with him and will no more pay him any penny...

Thanks. we are realaxed now after reading thru the replies..we are strong now ..

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 8:30 pm

parivinu wrote:Thanks for reponse.

Ok.. we will stay for another 3 months and move out .. So I dont think I will have any problem if I do not get stamp paper..

till then will be sweet with him and will no more pay him any penny...

Thanks. we are realaxed now after reading thru the replies..we are strong now ..
Well - no one here is guaranteeing this strategy will work.... but it's probably worth trying.

Kay7400

Post by Kay7400 » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 1:48 am

It seems that tenancy advise should be part of introduction to any foreigners coming to work in Singapore. Even those with rental arranged by their companies are not immune to unpredictable headaches with landlords, agents...

Kay7400

Post by Kay7400 » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 1:52 am

katbh wrote:^ well said.
Just act local. People here rarely say 'no'. They will either ignore you or say 'can' but then not do.
So just string him on in hope that you can avoid confrontation
Enligthening advice. Thanks.
:-k

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 11:24 am

Kay7400 wrote:It seems that tenancy advise should be part of introduction to any foreigners coming to work in Singapore. Even those with rental arranged by their companies are not immune to unpredictable headaches with landlords, agents...
I am a bit thick skinned, so let me put it this way

Foreigners coming here should be taught some common sense

if they get themselves caught easily in Singapore, I dread to think how they will survive in some other countries nearby - they maybe eaten alive.

Yes, in Dubai/ME paying 1 year rental in advance is normal, but for heavens sake, before coming to Singpaore, do they even bother look up the norm here ?

Foreigner: I want rent apartment
Agent/LL: sure
Foreigner: I will be 1 year rent in advance
Agent/LL: Eyes turned into $ signs "Sure that is the normal thing for 'expats' .. "
Foreigner: I am so happy to have agents who service expats like me
Agent/LL: of course, we don't make $, we are here to help you only

Over and out

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 12:02 pm

Ecureilx, it is a bit like you would go to a very fancy, good looking place, with a lot of nice people and expect that they are going to abuse you. This for the reason of plain greed or low mores and despite them being filthy rich and you paying premium prices. Where is a common sense in that?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 10:11 pm

x9200 wrote:Ecureilx, it is a bit like you would go to a very fancy, good looking place, with a lot of nice people and expect that they are going to abuse you. This for the reason of plain greed or low mores and despite them being filthy rich and you paying premium prices. Where is a common sense in that?
well, seriously, many foreigners I met have no clue on how to do things .. as probably this is their first stop out of their comfort zone

Including a guy, who was viewing an apartment, loudly said "3000 ? well, I am sure this is worth more than the 5000 apartment we saw .. " and in a while the agents says "oh, landlord is undecided, as he has better offer. can you stretch your budget? "

or the other, who negotiated, signed and then asked "is use of aircondition included ? the other place said we have to pay more for use of A/C" and the agent goes "oh, 200 $ more for use of Aircon .. "

Me facepalm ..

Another, I was there when rental came for renewal, and agents said 'LL said increase by 500 $' and I was like "why ? outside market is slow you know ?" and the tenant goes "we have been paying an increment every year, should be normal right ?? "

Me facepalm ..

And more and more ..

it takes two hands to clap, and it also helps when more than a few gullible 'expats' don't bother to do their basic research and then complain they been ripped.

In the business of property agents, when the income is not fixed, you can't always pin the blame on the agents, for taking a bold step to 'help' expats .. with DEALS !!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 10:27 pm

The examples you have given would be considered a facepalm in any country. On top of this, I would do the same for the 3k-5k example if I didn't care about the place and the LL p*d me off for some reason.

parivinu

Post by parivinu » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 6:10 pm

Hi ,

It is Time for us to vacate the house , so we told owner that we are vacating the house and compensate the rental amount. we are very much sure that he will not pay us our advance since many finance people are still coming home and looking for him..
he is telling that he will complaint the police and inform our company and threatening us if we dont pay the rent..( he has collected copy of EP or any details from us)
my husband was so sweet with him and whenever he asked for money to pay the rent in advance , he was paying by listening to his financial problems.. now he is telling that legally one should compensate the advance for last month rent and if you dont pay will put the interest rate everyday for the rent u have not paid..

I feel since he is not supposed to rent a non-approved unit. and in the rental it states that he rented only a room and also asked us if anyone come and ask u tell them owner is staying..

and also we were telling him to repair the bathroom from day1 of our arrival,but he kept on postponing.. now he is claiming that previous tenants never complained and after u occupied i am hearing all these things. he is just playing the game.. we are sure that tomorrow he may claim it is we who did it and compensate our advance for the repair..

Please suggest us what to do..

these people target foreigners since we can not do anything here..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 7:42 pm

parivinu wrote:
these people target foreigners since we can not do anything here..
He can't do anything ..

Just tell him you what you can and pack up and go ..

Don't get into arguement about what he can do or taunt him ..

If he goes to court, just keep all evidences, so you can prove your case, as you were unduly stressed.

About the non-approved thing, don't pull that .. per law, you are also guilty for knowingly renting a non-approved unit

btw ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... posit.html

hairy legs

Post by hairy legs » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 5:01 pm

Hi,

Do you have children or it is just you + husband?

I think it is important to think about safety vs $ or matter of principle.

So manay things can happen to you + family; the money lenders, this landlord etc etc...

I would suggest you move house asap.. forget about whats right or wrong, how much money you may lose etc...