Singapore Expats

Fitness

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Fitness

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 11:44 am

Ever since I had done a casual health screening and found out that my Triglycerides are high, my outlook towards fitness and diet has completely changed :)

Earlier I didnt even know what % daily values on the ingredients meant or never even cared about them and always shunned veggies and fruits and the only excercise I did was rolling on the bed, lol.

But that has changed now and I am most focused on eating right and also started going for evening jogs to get groceries from a far away place rather than my house and also I have started climbing stairs from level 1 to 12 in my HDB, once a day, lol.

I am not overweight mind you, my BMI is close to perfect its just that my body fat % is 27.7% and the max should be 23%. So I need to replace those extra fat with muscles.

How about you guys? What do you do to stay fit?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:11 pm

Walk 5kms each morning in East Coast Park. Nice way to start the day.

But the big one for me is cycling.

Cycle to work several days a week and cycle in the weekends. The fitness thing is a side benefit, I just love cycling.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 1:09 pm

The trick is to find something you like to do, better yet, love to do, that keeps you fit because this thing you love to do involves getting your heart rate up into the strenuous zone.

The problem with physical exercise is that 9 times out of 10 it's boring. Even if you're a gym rat or a fitness freak and you love the endorphins and all that, bottom line, having to do that pumping iron routine or jogging outing or treadmill sesh again and again will get boring eventually.

Sure, once you've got some traction going and you're beginning to see results, like the spare holes in your belt and people are telling you you're looking spiffy, it's rewarding. But you'll still hit plateaus and spells every now and again where you wonder wtf you're doing it all for. After all, the mission to stay fit never ends. Once motivation wanes and you lay off for a while, the threshold is ever so high to get going again. Why? Because you remember how boring it was.

But once you've got something you luuuurve to do that happens to be good for you as well, the staying fit part is just a fortunate side-effect and it's easy to keep at it.

On the one hand this is pretty obvious stuff. But on the other, it's not easy to find a passion that offers these health benefits. Oh, and golf isn't one of them. But mountain-biking is, as is dragon-boating and windsurfing.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 1:49 pm

Max Headroom wrote:The trick is to find something you like to do, better yet, love to do, that keeps you fit because this thing you love to do involves getting your heart rate up into the strenuous zone.

The problem with physical exercise is that 9 times out of 10 it's boring. Even if you're a gym rat or a fitness freak and you love the endorphins and all that, bottom line, having to do that pumping iron routine or jogging outing or treadmill sesh again and again will get boring eventually.

Sure, once you've got some traction going and you're beginning to see results, like the spare holes in your belt and people are telling you you're looking spiffy, it's rewarding. But you'll still hit plateaus and spells every now and again where you wonder wtf you're doing it all for. After all, the mission to stay fit never ends. Once motivation wanes and you lay off for a while, the threshold is ever so high to get going again. Why? Because you remember how boring it was.

But once you've got something you luuuurve to do that happens to be good for you as well, the staying fit part is just a fortunate side-effect and it's easy to keep at it.

On the one hand this is pretty obvious stuff. But on the other, it's not easy to find a passion that offers these health benefits. Oh, and golf isn't one of them. But mountain-biking is, as is dragon-boating and windsurfing.
^This

Do what you love for exercise, you never feel like you're exercising :P

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 2:02 pm

Yeah, I agree with both Maxheadroom and Lynx and I have considered it before.But the activities I like are sports like table tennis, badminton etc and these are best if you live in a condo. But I dont. I have colleagues who book badminton courts at sports stadiums and play, but those guys are already very fit and play very serious stuff. I on the other hand need to first get some basic fitness to reach there.

The ironic thing is people who really workout or in some sort of sports are already extremely fit. For example I see some locals here running and they look as if they are preparing for the next olympics, lol.

On the other hand those that aren't fit are not doing or cannot to do even basic excercises. So its extreme! I want to sort of in between want to get fit enough to be healthy but dont need to go win the next badminton title, lol.

Also getting into serious sports has its risks of injury. I know a couple of my friends quit playing badminton after back pain another one had to undergo knee surgery.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 2:24 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yeah, I agree with both Maxheadroom and Lynx and I have considered it before.But the activities I like are sports like table tennis, badminton etc and these are best if you live in a condo. But I dont. I have colleagues who book badminton courts at sports stadiums and play, but those guys are already very fit and play very serious stuff. I on the other hand need to first get some basic fitness to reach there.

The ironic thing is people who really workout or in some sort of sports are already extremely fit. For example I see some locals here running and they look as if they are preparing for the next olympics, lol.

On the other hand those that aren't fit are not doing or cannot to do even basic excercises. So its extreme! I want to sort of in between want to get fit enough to be healthy but dont need to go win the next badminton title, lol.

Also getting into serious sports has its risks of injury. I know a couple of my friends quit playing badminton after back pain another one had to undergo knee surgery.
How naive. Obviously everybody's gotta start with something somewhere. Nobody is born with Olympian body.

I didn't start running until I moved to Singapore. My first attempt to run, I only lasted for 2km or even less. But persistence paid off, that I can assure you.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 2:28 pm

If you can run 2km you are fit already. I am talking about those that cant run even 500m. I belong to that category.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 2:29 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yeah, I agree with both Maxheadroom and Lynx and I have considered it before.But the activities I like are sports like table tennis, badminton etc and these are best if you live in a condo. But I dont. I have colleagues who book badminton courts at sports stadiums and play, but those guys are already very fit and play very serious stuff. I on the other hand need to first get some basic fitness to reach there.

Yeah, I understand.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 2:34 pm

Nice one :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 2:38 pm

Wd40 wrote:If you can run 2km you are fit already. I am talking about those that cant run even 500m. I belong to that category.
If your BMI is ok and you can not run even 500m you are either extremelly lazy or you need a doctor.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 2:48 pm

Yeah, I dont have the stamina. BMI doesn't give the full picture. My BMI is 24 and ideally it should be less than 23 for Asians, so I am not too much overweight. But my Body Fat %age is 27.7 and it should be 11-22%. So a disproportionate amount of my weight is fat and I need to get rid of the fat and build muscles.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 3:39 pm

x9200 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:If you can run 2km you are fit already. I am talking about those that cant run even 500m. I belong to that category.
If your BMI is ok and you can not run even 500m you are either extremelly lazy or you need a doctor.
Or you have a 30 year history of gout that has made your ankles and knees crook!
:(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 3:39 pm

x9200 wrote:
Or you have a 30 year history of gout that has made your ankles and knees crook!
:(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 3:43 pm

No, its just breathlessness, no ankle pain or anything.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 3:56 pm

Wd40 wrote:No, its just breathlessness, no ankle pain or anything.
Most likely it is your breathing habit. Some people, by habit, breathe shallowly or only use their nose all the time, etc.

Or you just have bad stamina. Build it up :P