Singapore Expats

Maid hire

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Maid hire

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 4:04 pm

Just had my maid application rejected on the grounds that another employer already has a maid registered at this address. I suspect this is yet another instance of the Landlord or a member of her family using the address we live at. We have had several 'official' visitors looking for people who do not live here but have their mail sent to our address.

:x

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Maid hire

Post by the lynx » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 4:12 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Just had my maid application rejected on the grounds that another employer already has a maid registered at this address. I suspect this is yet another instance of the Landlord or a member of her family using the address we live at. We have had several 'official' visitors looking for people who do not live here but have their mail sent to our address.

:x
Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Sounds like you're in a tight situation. Your address is probably blacklisted for whatever the owner/former tenants did there. Any chance of consulting MOM regarding this?

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 4:25 pm

Actually I suspect they have a maid now in one of their other apartments but have registered her to ours. The rejection was on the basis that there is one maid in the apartment already.

I feel like calling MoM now and reporting them but should probably wait 24 hours and see what unfolds in the unlikely event that my suspicions are wrong.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 6:28 pm

Confirmed the Landlord employed a maid elsewhere using the address we rent.

Our agent tells me this is not unusual in Singapore and Landlords with multiple properties often do this for convenience. She also said that multiple maids registered to one address used to be acceptable but MoM has tightened the rules in the last year and Landlords are not always aware of the latest rules.

Can anyone confirm or refute the above statement? Doesn't sound overly plausible to me!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 7:40 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Confirmed the Landlord employed a maid elsewhere using the address we rent.

Our agent tells me this is not unusual in Singapore and Landlords with multiple properties often do this for convenience. She also said that multiple maids registered to one address used to be acceptable but MoM has tightened the rules in the last year and Landlords are not always aware of the latest rules.

Can anyone confirm or refute the above statement? Doesn't sound overly plausible to me!
This sounds perfectly plausible. I'd show the MOM your lease and explain you are the sole tenant.