Singapore Expats

Any divers out there?

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
ansonlahlahlah

Any divers out there?

Post by ansonlahlahlah » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 10:00 pm

Really looking to do some serious diving around SEA while I'm in Singapore. Anyone out there shares the passion? Thinking about doing a trip in a few months' time.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 11:20 pm

Real divers or bottle babies?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 5:34 am

Plenty of quite decent dive spots in the vicinity. But best not wait too long, because in a few months' time, the monsoon won't be all that far away. By October, things could be taking a turn for the worse.

If you're looking to cut your teeth in the area, have a go off Tioman. Not the bestest diving to be found here, with Sipadan and Layang Layang within reach, but given its proximity, a good place to see what's out there.

Once you've got your bearings, head out for the most awesome diving experience available pretty much world-wide: Sipadan.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 11:16 am

Asia is a heaven for diving. Our fav dive sites are Layang Layang and Bali.

We went to Layang Layang end of April this year and managed to see schools of hammerheads and a few thresher sharks. We were also in Layang Layang 2 years ago around Aug, but did not see any hammerheads but the visibility is fantastic.

For Bali, Aug/Sep is the best time to see Mola Mola. We usually stay in Nusa Penida but going to stay in Nusa Lembongan this time, to see if the dive sites are better.

If you need information on any of the above, feel free to drop me a note!

olivier_singap'

what (and not where) is better to practice

Post by olivier_singap' » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:01 am

Hi

I've just arrived to singapore too and I wish to dive with my level 2 (CMAS), no PADI. I am from France.

I do not know how it works here so I am asking the question: what is the best to practice from Singapore: be a member of a singaporean diving center that organises some diving wkend, trip... or go directly to the spots and find a diving center there?

Thanks in advance for your help
Olivier

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 10:56 am

We've done both. Both work. Doing it through a Singapore outfit tends to be a bit smoother logistics-wise; your van, ferry seat, hotel room, dive gear etc. all waiting for you.

If you go on-the-fly, then, generally, expect a somewhat more adventurous trip, since you have to get your trip package together yourself. That said, some people like this free and easy approach. Obviously, it's cheaper.

Perhaps you join a Singapore operation once or twice. Once you've got your bearings in Tioman, you have a go at it on your own.

olivier_singap'

diving center

Post by olivier_singap' » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks for the answer Max.
Do someone have any good diving center in mind? My research through google show me plenty of adresses. I am located at Balmoral but I cannot decide which one is "better" that the other ones... :)
Thanks in advance

chaaraard

Post by chaaraard » Sat, 14 Sep 2013 4:16 pm

PADI Advanced open water dude here, got certified when i lived in Aus. WOuld be great to find like minded divers in Singapore. Do pm me if you get a group together.

Cheers

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 8:40 am

My husband is thinking of going to Layang Layang to dive again next year for HammerHeads. We did it this year and the dive is unbelievable. We saw schools of hammerheads and thresher sharks along with other gorgeous marine life.

We will go around end Apr - early May, to take advantage of the public holiday. That period is also one of the best weeks to dive for hammerheads. Price wise, we paid $3216 for two, excluding flights to KK.

If anyone else are interested to join us, let us know. We won't book anything now, but will probably do so around end Dec. Happy to coordinate the dive trip, if there are enough interest.