Singapore Expats

Pasir Panjang Road Widening

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Pennywhistle

Pasir Panjang Road Widening

Post by Pennywhistle » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 2:25 pm

I thought I had just nailed down a family friendly, and relatively quiet place to rent when I came across an article on a random Google search stating plans to widen Pasir Panjang Road from a two lane road to a 4 lane road starting in 2014 and ending in 2017! Bah! :(

After using Streetview to confirm its ideal location (one stride to Haw Par MRT, walking distance to a group of shops with the footpath set well back off the road with a large nature strip in between making it relatively safe for a toddler just learning to walk (and my dog on a leash!) WITH the added bonus of beautiful old shade trees lining the walk) it's super disheartening to find out that it's all going to be bulldozed to make way for roads to stop traffic jams. (which from all of the existing residents account that it is minimal and widening the road in spots to allow for buses to pull off would be the solution).

Such a sad situation for all of the locals in that area that the government won't listen to their collective voices. I understand they want to stop the traffic jams and open the area up for a planned population increase in the west corridor, but sacrificing a quiet neighborhood and making a safe road for pedestrians (shock horror!) unsafe again is crazy. I know Singapore infrastructure isn't overly cyclist or pedestrian friendly (nor is the weather!), why don't the government take this as an opportunity to make a route that expats would take advantage of?

I don't know, maybe i'm annoyed because my perceived planned morning shaded stroll will now be dodging construction workers, jack hammers and trucks. *sigh* Back to the drawing board! Sorry for the rant.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Pasir Panjang Road Widening

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 2:52 pm

Pennywhistle wrote: Such a sad situation for all of the locals in that area that the government won't listen to their collective voices.
Did they actually raise their voices on this issue outside of coffee shop chatter? I'm guessing not.
Pennywhistle wrote: I understand they want to stop the traffic jams and open the area up for a planned population increase in the west corridor,
Well this tells you why it's being done. Can you imagine tearing up the road to widen it when it is already regularly jammed every day with traffic? You'll have numerous more people complaining about how the government didn't properly plan or think ahead about improving infrastructure before building out residential areas in the west.

Rant noted. We all do it. :D

Pennywhistle

Post by Pennywhistle » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 3:05 pm

:D Thanks! I was also appalled at myself for saying something along the lines of they should make it better for the expats, while at the same time noting how unfair it was that locals weren't having their voices heard!

It seems as though they have been writing letters to the government and partitioning them to stop the road widening. From what I have now read about it, there is a neighborhood group of some type that wasn't even consulted about the proposed widening, they just kind of usurped them and laid down the law as such. It still seems to be going ahead regardless of the protest. Such a shame, and possibly also why it had me riled as I can't stand little people being trod on unfairly. (Even if it's all for show just to appease their concerns, then did the widening anyway).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 3:24 pm

Pennywhistle wrote::D Thanks! I was also appalled at myself for saying something along the lines of they should make it better for the expats, while at the same time noting how unfair it was that locals weren't having their voices heard!

It seems as though they have been writing letters to the government and partitioning them to stop the road widening. From what I have now read about it, there is a neighborhood group of some type that wasn't even consulted about the proposed widening, they just kind of usurped them and laid down the law as such. It still seems to be going ahead regardless of the protest. Such a shame, and possibly also why it had me riled as I can't stand little people being trod on unfairly. (Even if it's all for show just to appease their concerns, then did the widening anyway).
I'm surprised the neighborhood group said anything, but I'm not surprised that it didn't change anything. Singapore has remove historic buildings and relocated cemeteries for infrastructure projects.

This giant monstrosity (but in a pretty convenient location) and all of the residents inside are being relocated for the North-South Expressway:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochor_Centre

If they're going to move thousands of families into new housing, I don't think a shaded walkway and some foilage has any chance :lol:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 4:05 pm

Why should they worry about what expats want? They tryin' to get rid of us!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers