Singapore Expats

Part Time Maids (PR or SPR)

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 1:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So you can hire a PTM who does services on her own under an informal "contract for service". She is responsible for her own CPF (not liable) and her Medisave payments (mandatory).
So I have to buy a wine to X9200 ?? case closed lah :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 1:57 pm

I settled it. Bottle each! :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 2:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I settled it. Bottle each! :P
Double confirmed :D :D (or double confirm ??? :)

kio

how to find

Post by kio » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 2:09 am

How to find a helper (SC or SPR) without agency?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: how to find

Post by the lynx » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 8:50 am

kio wrote:How to find a helper (SC or SPR) without agency?
Personal recommendations. Perhaps you could ask your neighbours if they know someone good.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 8:51 am

1. Classifieds
2. Word of mouth (highly recommended)

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 2:07 pm

I know this post is a few weeks old but I still wanted to toss in my thoughts on this subject:

If you don't go through an agency (which should screen its workers) to get part-time help, please CHECK THE MAID'S ID CARD to be sure she's a PR or SC before she starts working for you. If she's a foreigner and has a work permit, she's only allowed to work for the employer listed on her permit. Doing side jobs is illegal.

We got a recommendation from my husband's co-worker when we first moved here for a maid VERY SIMILAR to what you're talking about. She came in once a week and did good work and we liked her a lot. But we were led to believe she worked for herself and got jobs based on word-of-mouth recommendations. However, I had to let her go because I found out she wasn't a PR or a SC and actually worked for another family. How did I find out? She told me her employer needed her during the time she usually came to our place and wanted to switch days. When she said "my employer," I started asking questions and found out she wasn't a PR and she admitted to violating her work permit.

I then thought about the hours she'd come here: After the parents would have gone to work and after the children had been sent off to school, but she'd be back in time for them when they returned home from work/school. Not bad planning on her part.

In the meantime, I'm doing the cleaning myself and it's not fun, but it's not killing me. Going through an agency, such as A-Team Amahs & Cleaners seems like a safer option. We might end up going that route eventually.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 3:09 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:...
I then thought about the hours she'd come here: After the parents would have gone to work and after the children had been sent off to school, but she'd be back in time for them when they returned home from work/school. Not bad planning on her part. ....
Actually some of the employers knowingly allow the maid to freelance, since they don't mind (as they say) or care about the penalty

Such practice was a bit rampant in the 99-2000 time period, when many employers couldn't afford to pay the maid the basic pay -so, in lieu, they let the maid freelance ..

And same for some employers who are always travelling :)

I don't know if MOM does it now, but sometime ago, MOM officers used to stop maids coming out of condos, on weekdays and weekends, and check those maids who had no reason to be in the condo - 9 out of 10 apparently admit they were freelancing ...

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 3:46 pm

Interesting point about MOM checking maids. Maybe they should start doing that again if they aren't already.

She did say her employer allowed her to work side jobs but I don't know if her employer really said that or if she was just saying that. Regardless, it's illegal and it was a situation we needed to get out of.
Last edited by BedokAmerican on Mon, 15 Apr 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 3:55 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:Interesting point about MOM checking maids. Maybe they should start doing that again if they aren't already.
If the economy hits another serious recession .. maybe they will do it .. or if anybody tips them off :)
She did say her employer allowed her to work side jobs but I don't know if her employer really said that or if she was just saying that. Regardless, it was a situation we needed to get out of.
Most likely presume that she wasn't lying .. as I said, one too many employer did find out that they prefer the maid do some side-line than let her grumble about low pay or transfer out .. especially when the employer has no need for full time maid ..

WIN-WIN situation .. for the employer and maid, though both know it is illegal ..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 4:59 pm

The big difference is the local employer only get banned from having a FDW but the Expat employer has a much bigger problem.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 5:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The big difference is the local employer only get banned from having a FDW but the Expat employer has a much bigger problem.
+1 .. and then again, it is mostly the local employers who let the maids freelance - due to financial constraints .. Want maid, but cannot afford one .. then how ?? :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:47 pm

Regarding part time maids, I had a conversation online tonight with a company by the same name: "Part Time Maid Singapore". They hire out part time maids on a variety of packages and prices. The maids are Singaporean, PR & FWs. The foreigners are brought in on WPs as "cleaners" and are legal. As they are a Service Company, they will be subject to the 45% dependency ratio which mean over half of their staff must be local/PRs. They work as cleaners for the company, who pays all their medical, housing, levies & wages & Insurance. The company bills the client an hourly rate based on 4 hour blocks. I've not used them, so I'm look for one of our readers who may have done so. They could well be the solution some of our members are looking for as they done live in your home. Their website is here:

http://www.part-time-maid.com/

They are accredited by bizsafe3, TrustSG and have applied to Casetrust as well. Somebody.........

My wife isn't really up to it anymore since her heart attack on National Day last year so I'm looking for solutions as well.

importantmum2012

Post by importantmum2012 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 4:17 am

Dear all, Here's a VERY IMPORTANT SUMMARISED ADVICE TO ALL.

If you employ a foreign "part-time" maid, domestic helper, they must either be

- Singaporeans /w compulsory CPF contributions (so that they can get government workfare bonus. THE CPF BOARD IS GETTING VERY SERIOUS ON THIS, TAKE NOTE!). If you employ a Singaporean, you MUST pay her CPF. See issues with private cash deals below.

- Singapore PRs
OR

Cleaners WITH PROPER WORK PERMITS DIRECTLY UNDER THE PAYROLL of the cleaning company.

If they do not get their CPF, they can go to CPF Board to sue you and you will be liable for criminal charge. Even if they ‘agree’ to take cash in private, if things go sour between you and them eg. accident, incident, accusations of damage, bad relationship, they may ‘still decide’ to go to CPF Board to sue you and CPF will still go after you, you have to pay EXTRA CPF PENALTIES on top of the CASH you have already paid to her and also 1.5% CPF PENALTY FINE. It is critical that Singaporeans get their CPF as CPF Board has a system of detecting and checking.

Any filipino / Indonesian/ or other country maids working OUTSIDE their original employer's houses ARE DEEM TO BE CONDUCTING IN ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES, can be ARRESTED and CHARGED in SINGAPORE COURT and DEPORTED BACK TO THEIR HOME COUNTRY. THIS IS NO TRIVIAL MATTER. THEY WILL BE DETAINED IN A FACILITY BEFORE THE TRIAL.

The employment agencies supplying such 'part-time maids' are liable of up to S$80,000 fine by MOM and the house owner employing the part-time services of the filipino / Indonesian / or other country 'part-time' maids is also liable to be fined up to S$15,000 by MOM. Pleading 'ignorance' is not an excuse of violating Singapore Law. All parties will be seriously affected.

MOM Officers are stepping up their inspections from 500 to 5,000 per year.

Seriously, It doesn't pay to pay less for illegal maids.
Look for cleaning companies who only supply Singaporean or PR helpers, OR foreign helpers with PROPER WORK PERMITS. These come at a premium cost, but at least you can be assured you are acting in accordance with Singapore Law and you can sleep in peace. More and more have been caught and charged.