Singapore Expats

Work Emails During your Holiday Away

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 7:09 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I've had a standing business email rule for a long time. If I am in the "To" line, it goes into my inbox. If I am in the "cc" line, it goes into my, "Maybe I'll Read This At Some Point in Life, But Then Again, Maybe Not" folder.

People who cc me:

a) Want the people in the "To" line to think that somehow their point of view will carry more weight when cc'ed to me.

b) Think that emailing the known world somehow makes their topic more important.

c) Are trying to drag me into an argument that I want no part of.

I've really not been affected by not reading the "cc" email folder.
I'll cc people when they ask me something that they very easily could have asked the person I'm in the 'To:' field themselves.
To: SMS
CC: SE

Hey SMS, Strong Eagle wanted to know...
It lets me be lazy by not having to forward the reply, and passive aggressively let everyone know that the CC'd person is lazy. :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 8:25 pm

Email is an insane waste of time. When did work become 'just' communicating?

I rememebr not using email much at all until I moved back to Singapore in 05 where suddenly it became THE thing to do at work.

I'm personally trying to use phone calls a lot more and email for documentation / spreadsheet etc transfer only.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 8:48 pm

PNGMK wrote:Email is an insane waste of time. When did work become 'just' communicating?

I rememebr not using email much at all until I moved back to Singapore in 05 where suddenly it became THE thing to do at work.

I'm personally trying to use phone calls a lot more and email for documentation / spreadsheet etc transfer only.
It works great for code monkeys. For example, if I want to ask someone about something and calling just won't cut it, at least I can put code, diagrams or figures in email.

Moreover, if you have a list of questions/issues, they can be addressed point by point. Having people to do so, however, is another thing.

And if used properly, email leaves a trail so that further down the line, someone can say "but you said so in that email" and have proof without resorting to a formal document.

Those said, a lot of people do misuse email--like you suggested, some people regard sending/replying to email as work when it's just another tool.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 8:53 pm

E-mail pushing. Sounds like an easy job.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 08 Sep 2013 11:12 am

the lynx wrote:E-mail pushing. Sounds like an easy job.
A lot of people in Singapore probably only do that and think they have a job. Unfortunately real jobs involve other work and intelligent use of email. :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 08 Sep 2013 11:19 am

zzm9980 wrote:A lot of people in Singapore probably only do that and think they have a job. Unfortunately real jobs involve other work and intelligent use of email. :)
You mean actual thinking?! Oh the horror!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 1:09 pm

Back and I have to admit to checking my email last Saturday knowing everything was in the trash :(

In the event though, telling people their emails will be deleted did help lower the amount coming in over the subsequent days so it's made things much easier on the return.

I also was more confident after checking on Saturday that it would be fine to switch off for three more days and whilst I did think about work emails on and off I think it is a natural thing in any case. If I could find a way to permanently delete mails as they come in it takes it that one step further but it was good to at least try a half:half measure this time and it worked well getting today's return to the office off to an easy start.

I recommend it! ;)
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 2:33 pm

So, Scooby, you back. You gonna make it tomorrow night? Juban Stand?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers