Singapore Expats

iPhone 5C ........

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

iPhone 5C ........

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 9:58 am

Should be a winner in Singapore :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:25 am

I doubt. I heard some analysts reviewing, especially for the China market. They said Iphone is bought by the highly aspirational people to show off their money and considering there isn't much gap b/w the 5C and 5S, these people will just buy the top end to make the statement. I agree with that logic.

Singaporeans being kiasu, will have nothing but the priciest.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:34 am

I was basing my comment on the name...
:o
Life is short, paddle harder!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:13 am

An iPhone 5 can easily be upgraded into the 5C by an OTA update and an under 20 SGD candy color case.
:P

People are predicting the golden iPhone will sell like gangbusters to the Chinese.

Gold=auspicious or whatever slightly racist stereotype fits.

To add another stereotype courtesy of Team Coco: http://allthingsd.com/20130911/viral-vi ... ng-to-rafi/
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 12:04 pm

My 12 YO son informed me today that 'all' his school friends have bought a 5C pre paid at the expo. They might have hit the target market. (PS he wants a Sony Experia).

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 12:11 pm

PNGMK wrote:My 12 YO son informed me today that 'all' his school friends have bought a 5C pre paid at the expo. They might have hit the target market. (PS he wants a Sony Experia).
+1. That was what I thought as well. The kids will now get the "cheaper" Iphone :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 12:38 pm

nakatago wrote:An iPhone 5 can easily be upgraded into the 5C by an OTA update and an under 20 SGD candy color case.
:P

People are predicting the golden iPhone will sell like gangbusters to the Chinese.

Gold=auspicious or whatever slightly racist stereotype fits.

To add another stereotype courtesy of Team Coco: http://allthingsd.com/20130911/viral-vi ... ng-to-rafi/
5C also has a slightly larger battery and will support more LTE bands. Otherwise, yes essentially the same thing in a candy colored case.

See the thing that a lot of us in Singapore don't see or care about is that in the US and other major markets where they subsidize phones, the iPhone 5C is half the cost of the 5S. $99 vs $199. That's a huge deal over there.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 12:42 pm

Barnsley wrote:I was basing my comment on the name...
:o
+1 :D

I didn't get it at first either, but now I do. :lol:

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 12:46 pm

I got it too, only now, though :)

vivek23

Post by vivek23 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 2:46 am

iphone actually lost its plot since 4s. hardly any noticible improvement compated to its predicissors. I guess in a year or 2, they will end up like blackberry.
the girls in my office have note 2 or the mega5.8/6.3 and they really love it and carrying them is not a prob as they can put it in their handbag. also once u have u a bigger screen mobile, u wont like to go to a smaller one. so I really doubt the 5s/5c will be as much as a hit like the previous ones.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 7:41 am

vivek23 wrote:iphone actually lost its plot since 4s. hardly any noticible improvement compated to its predicissors. I guess in a year or 2, they will end up like blackberry.
the girls in my office have note 2 or the mega5.8/6.3 and they really love it and carrying them is not a prob as they can put it in their handbag. also once u have u a bigger screen mobile, u wont like to go to a smaller one. so I really doubt the 5s/5c will be as much as a hit like the previous ones.
So your implication is the only improvements that would keep them from losing the plot is a larger screen? What exactly are you looking for? What kind of major improvements have Android phones added besides larger screens, stability improvements (which iOS was arguably already ahead of them on) and incremental software improvements (which iOS has also been adding)? Just some examples would be nice.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 9:59 am

http://geekaphone.com/compare/Samsung-G ... e-iPhone-5

I think it is specifications to the cost ratio. Galaxy S4 is a better phone specificationswise and also the look and feel of it is better than an iphone 5.

Ever since Samsung released Galaxy S2 they have slowly but surely been taking away the marketshare from Apple. S3 launch further solidifyed that trend.

Apple had great product and a great brand which no one did until Iphone 3GS. But with Galaxy S2, Samsung had an even better product and a brand as well.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:39 am

Wd40 wrote:http://geekaphone.com/compare/Samsung-G ... e-iPhone-5

I think it is specifications to the cost ratio
It's not a PC though, most of those specs are meaningless in the real world. S4 has a bigger battery, but then iPhone wins battery longevity tests. You can't realistically compare specs in a vacuum and expect it to mean something on a device like a phone, unless it is between similar models of phones from the same company. E.g., S3 vs S4 or iPhone 5 vs 5S.

And if that guy's "losing the plot" really was just comparing specs, then I'm not sure how Apple lost it because each phone is has significantly more processing power, etc. He implied it needs new features. Well what features are really needed? Did Samsung lose the plot on S3 vs S4? Because most major reviews compared it to iPhone 4 vs 4S. Nothing groundbreaking was really changed or added.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 12:05 pm

The technical spec really matters for the majority if it translates to something subjectively noticeable. Battery life (nb. WD40's link showed Samsung to be the winner) hardly translates in real life to anything visible. After more than a decade of cheap mobile phones around everybody knows that 15 days of standby time can be very well 2 days if one is not lucky (and the one is not lucky very often). Both Samsungs and Iphones can play movies and an average Joe is not going to use them to solve time consuming computational tasks or play PS4/Xbox level sophistication games so no use for any extra processing power.
At the and of the day it all comes IMHO to perceived novelty, fashion, trends, whatever all of them subjective and not much to do with the technical spec.

Yes, there is a group of wanna be geeks (probably many among SG males) that buy something just because the spec is "better" but I don't think they are the majority.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 12:30 pm

iPhone5c (fully paid - no contract) from Apple Store is SGD $898. I think they missed the mark on pricing. That's a lot of money!