Singapore Expats

From PR to Tourist Visa in a day

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
RobSg
Regular
Regular

From PR to Tourist Visa in a day

Post by RobSg » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 9:06 am

Yesterday afternoon I was at the ICA building waiting to talk to someone about PR and giving it up. I was almost glad that it was a little crowded so that I could see the kind of people that were applying for PR. They seemed to be certainly a lot younger than myself (I’m 67), and if I had to make a subjective observation, they were people WANTING PR for work related advantages. I really do understand that, as I was the same.

As one who is trying to experience retirement for the first time, I have enjoyed walking along the streets looking at help wanted ads in the windows of many stores, and wondering if I should try that type of customer service job for fun. That’s the advantage of being a retired PR in Singapore. However, when I look at the salary of $5 or $6 per hour, I think that regardless of part-time work being fun, a respectable salary would be nice also. I smile at those signs, and walk on.

I asked the lady at the ICA building if she meets a lot of people that do what I am doing, renounce PR status at an older age. She said of course, but also many of those that retire as PR’s, have a home that they’ve bought, or have family still remaining. That keeps them tied to Singapore, and I can really appreciate that. The prospect of me living as a single PR retiree, perhaps being a substitute teacher, just did not seem exciting. Even as a sub, you are on the outside of interactions at a school, because you’re not permanent. I crave good interactions with others, and being here now does not offer that.

Sometimes it’s better to just sever the ties. I’m now on a tourist visa for a month. When I put everything in perspective, it was the right thing to do. I will buy a permanent home in the States (Washington state), near family and close friends, and finally have a home base from which to venture out and still teach. I’ve never liked going for overseas trip from Singapore knowing that I’m leaving my expensive apartment unused. When you rent like that, it cramps your travel opportunities.

I’ll still pop in here now and then to find out what is happening in Singapore from this forum. However, I am looking forward to change of seasons, travel, and even working (teaching) in Central and South America if something comes up. I crave taking continuing courses at the university, taking the Amtrak train up to Vancouver, Canada, gardening, and walking my dog(s). I can still visit Singapore as much as I like.

Cheers.

RobSg

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 9:37 am

Rob, glad you have finally come to an affable solution. I can understand your reluctance as I'm in a somewhat similar situation with the exception of being one of those with paid for home & local family. I think you've made the right choice in the long run and if Singapore does tug from time to time, a vacation here for a couple months might do the trick. Please do stop in from time to time as I, in particular, would like to know how you are getting on.

Regards,
sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 9:47 am

Rob - I'm sure that in time (6 to 18 months) you'll look back and wonder why the decision was so hard to make and why you didn't leave earlier.

My ex wife and I left Singapore for about 5 years in the late 90's and although she moved back when we split (and hence forced me to move back to be in touch with my son) I did not miss it is a single iota - it's truly just a little red dot.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:48 am

Good decision Rob, Wish you good luck!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 12:57 am

Wd40 wrote:Good decision Rob, Wish you good luck!
+1

Good luck Rob!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 8:51 am

Reading your post really had a profound effect.

Glad you have made your decision. Wish you wonderful retirement back in the States, where you're closer to family and friends.