Singapore Expats

Expiring PR - can I continue to work?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
aaaaa81

Expiring PR - can I continue to work?

Post by aaaaa81 » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 3:50 pm

Hi

My friend PR status is expiring and unfortunately they have been told that they cannot renew their PR status.

Is it possible to continue working in Singapore and contributing to CPF as long as they don't exit the country?

Cheers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Re: Expiring PR - can I continue to work?

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 4:05 pm

aaaaa81 wrote:Hi

My friend PR status is expiring and unfortunately they have been told that they cannot renew their PR status.

Is it possible to continue working in Singapore and contributing to CPF as long as they don't exit the country?

Cheers
Assuming that it's actually their Re Entry Permit (REP) that has expired (and they have not actually had their PR revoked due to some transgression), then I believe the answer is yes, since in that situation their PR has not actually 'expired'. For the longer term, if they wish to travel outside of the country they may need to get their employer to apply for an Employment Pass (EP). However, given that the REP (?) has not been renewed, there is a chance that an EP application would also be rejected.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 4:48 pm

I was both unemployed and employed a portion of the time that my REP expired. It stayed expired for 15 months before I renewed it. I didn't lose my PR as I didn't leave the country (not even JB or Batam - that would be enough). But if your PR has been revoked as opposed to your REP not being renewed, yeah, you can work and contribute to CPF as well as you are still a Permanent Resident until you leave.

NB: unless that has changed recently and I'm not aware of it, that is.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 4:52 pm

Some more background would be nice too...

How long has your friend been here? Does s/he have gainful employment, at a decent salary level? Has the salary been increasing over the years? Has s/he been here for the duration of the PR, or worked in another country in-between?

Interesting, yet worrying if they don't renew PRs of people who live here.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Expiring PR - can I continue to work?

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:29 pm

aaaaa81 wrote:Hi

Cheers
Has your friend been residing and working in Singapore for the last 3 years of his/her PR?