Singapore Expats

Where to buy: Sriracha (see-ra-cha) made by Huy Fong

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Where to buy: Sriracha (see-ra-cha) made by Huy Fong

Post by Fortan » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 9:59 am

Also known as Rooster Sauce. Do anyone know where I can buy this is Singapore. I love it so much but haven't been able to find it anywhere. Last I tried at Golden Mile and they didn't have it either :P

Image[/img]

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 1:48 pm

Right next to the shop selling Egg Rolls and Chop Suey. :P

Sorry, it's an American thing, doesn't really exist in Asia. There are however numerous similar sauces you can find, you'll just have to experiment.

edit: From Wikipedia, this looks like the closest thing to it, and they'll probably have it at Golden Mile:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _sauce.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 1:50 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Sorry, it's an American thing, doesn't really exist in Asia.
IIRC, the guy who made it (THE rooster branded sauce) is an immigrant.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 2:02 pm

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Sorry, it's an American thing, doesn't really exist in Asia.
IIRC, the guy who made it (THE rooster branded sauce) is an immigrant.
Oh sure maybe. Everyone in the US is an immigrant though. I just meant that branding/formulation won't be found here.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 2:35 pm

All over Europe as well that's where I got the taste for it. Very popular there as well.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 3:50 pm

Fortan wrote:All over Europe as well that's where I got the taste for it. Very popular there as well.
Maybe he didn't distribute in Asia because Thailand's so nearby or that stores have their own homemade recipes.

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 6:40 pm

Thai version does not taste remotely close to the Rooster Sauce, to me.

The rooster sauce .... I've seen at ALL Vietnamese restaurants in California and a very important part of my pho' enjoyment. I didn't know it was American thing until I came out here. The sauce, which I've taken for granted as standard condiment for Vietnamese cuisine, was nowhere to be found in any Vietnamese restaurants I tried in SG and BKK (which seriously dampened my Pho' enjoyment).

Until .... *THE ONLY* place I've ever seen that sauce is at Bangkok's "Vietnamese and More" restaurant which happened to be owned by a Vietnamese American from SoCal who can speak fluent French, English, Thai and Vietnamese. Next time I go, I plan to siphon off small bottle's worth. The broth at this place taste just like pho' from California which makes me happy ... the portion is more Thai size though which makes my waist size happy :(

I'd also be very interested in knowing where I can get my hands on that stuff in SG (either restaurants or a grocery shop).

Nakatago, I'm also Asia-born and immigrated to US as a kid. I consider myself a proud American ... is that OK?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 7:10 pm

Why wouldn't it?

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 3:37 pm

I might have mis-read your posting but somehow I thought you pointing out that the rooster sauce maker being immigrant meant not an American thing.

As a 1st generation American, I'm on PMS on the subject.

Apologies in advance if I misunderstood your statement.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 6:12 pm

There's a shop called "Cut the Mustard" over on Greendale Avenue sort of behind the Cook & Baker shop. They have a number of spicy sauces including the one you are looking for. They even have a special cookbook for the sauce.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 6:50 pm

If Scarbowl's tip doesn't work out (that shop is rather inconveniently located if you lack a car), try this one made by Chin Su:

It's not exactly like the Sriacha sauce, but it's close. I like it more, but haven't had the Sriacha in a few years now.

The Thai grocery store on the second floor of the mall at Golden Mile has it in their Vietnamese section.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Where to buy: Sriracha (see-ra-cha) made by Huy Fong

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:26 pm

Fortan wrote:Also known as Rooster Sauce. Do anyone know where I can buy this is Singapore. I love it so much but haven't been able to find it anywhere. Last I tried at Golden Mile and they didn't have it either :P

Image[/img]
Lots of this stuff on the shelves at HEB here in Houston. If someone wants to pay the freight (via USPS or other), I'll ship it over.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 7:02 pm

So it's made by an ethnic Chinese from Vietnam who came to the US on a boat named Huy Fong. The name is a town in Thailand.

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/14- ... nunciation

VA2HK2SG

Post by VA2HK2SG » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 3:18 pm

I found a bottle this weekend. There is a little retail and cooking class shop in Holland Village located in the strip of shops on the opposite side of the street from the main shopping centre. Near Original Sin restaurant.

VA2HK2SG

Post by VA2HK2SG » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 3:20 pm

I found a bottle this weekend. There is a little retail and cooking class shop in Holland Village located in the strip of shops on the opposite side of the street from the main shopping centre. Near Original Sin restaurant.