Singapore Expats

Making the Car distribution system fairer?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 27 May 2013 10:21 am

PNGMK wrote: My forester comes up in 2017 - that's how I plan to renew it's COE.
My Legacy is due mid-2016 and we're putting funds away between now and then to either renew the COE or put a deposit down on a new motor. Three years and ticking.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 May 2013 6:12 am

Wd40 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I noticed an article in the ST today about this and blaming the 'blame the rich' mentality for the unhappinesss about cars and housing prices...

Whatever... let me let you in on a secret. If you own property here and you have had if for awhile a $100,000 COE is not out of reach - the banks will lend you the equity on your house at SIBOR or thereabouts (1% or less plus a margin).

My forester comes up in 2017 - that's how I plan to renew it's COE.
2017! Wow, you plan that well ahead? COE is like stock markets. It could be 10k or 200k anything is possible.
Sure - if it's 10k I'll pay cash - if it's 200k I'll borrow from equity. The only good thing about COE renewals is that if the price does crater on them after I've renewed I'll just scrap the car and cash in the remaining COE value.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 May 2013 6:53 am

+1 ^^^
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 8:07 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
iamsen wrote:If buying a Honda Fit costs $185k (last time I checked), I might as well get a BMW whatever for ~$200k. I'm going to be sh!t poor and deep in debt anyway, I might as well enjoy it.

I mean, why not? You're already getting yourselves into a ton of debt, what's a few thousand more?
Pity you guys man. I was on vacation in India couple of weeks back and my Brother in law bought the recently launched Renault Duster for the equivalent of S$24k. Just look at it man. :)
It's a Dacia. (Of Dacia Sandero fame for top gear fans). Not sure if I'd rather drive that or be on a b'lore bus :P

Also, how are car prices/taxes/etc in India? Isn't anything imported rather pricy due to tariffs? A friend has a tiny Hyundai hatch there, and it cost about double what it would have in the US (still a fraction of the Singapore price).
ZZM, Ford has just launched the Ecosport SUV in India. Priced at about 6.5 lakh INR on Road, that is about S$13,600.

http://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosport#

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 8:13 pm

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote: Pity you guys man. I was on vacation in India couple of weeks back and my Brother in law bought the recently launched Renault Duster for the equivalent of S$24k. Just look at it man. :)
It's a Dacia. (Of Dacia Sandero fame for top gear fans). Not sure if I'd rather drive that or be on a b'lore bus :P

Also, how are car prices/taxes/etc in India? Isn't anything imported rather pricy due to tariffs? A friend has a tiny Hyundai hatch there, and it cost about double what it would have in the US (still a fraction of the Singapore price).
ZZM, Ford has just launched the Ecosport SUV in India. Priced at about 6.5 lakh INR on Road, that is about S$13,600.

http://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosport#
Rather ugly, but I'll admit it seems like a really good deal for the price. Has India lowered tariffs, or is Ford building it in India?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 8:18 pm

Ford builds it in India. Actually they have been building cars in India for quite sometime already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_India_Private_Limited

Ever since India opened up its economy in the 90s, Ford, GM, Toyota, Suzuki and others have been building cars in India.

The Ford Ecosport is also manufactured in Thailand for ASEAN markets
Last edited by Wd40 on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 8:24 pm

Look at the positive side of it all, now that I am used to sg prices, when I return to the UK or anywhere else in the world, exotic cars will seem dirt cheap.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 8:58 pm

I used to have a limited edition 1976 Ford Cortina that was built here in Singapore complete with special paint, badges and interior! 50th anniversary edition of Ford in Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 9:04 pm

QRM wrote:Look at the positive side of it all, now that I am used to sg prices, when I return to the UK or anywhere else in the world, exotic cars will seem dirt cheap.
Heck, when a car commercial shows up on TV outside of Singapore, I think, "I could go out tomorrow and just buy that car."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:11 pm

nakatago wrote:
QRM wrote:Look at the positive side of it all, now that I am used to sg prices, when I return to the UK or anywhere else in the world, exotic cars will seem dirt cheap.
Heck, when a car commercial shows up on TV outside of Singapore, I think, "I could go out tomorrow and just buy that car."
In India, buying a car is the easiest thing. Fuel expenses is India as a ratio of total car ownership cost is a bigger headache. Next headache is driving the car in the traffic jams. But if you love cars, you will learn to deal with it ;)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 9:03 am

What I pay for my Honda Fit is going to afford me an Aston Martin when I go home.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 9:05 am

Wd40 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
In India, buying a car is the easiest thing. Fuel expenses is India as a ratio of total car ownership cost is a bigger headache. Next headache is driving the car in the traffic jams. But if you love cars, you will learn to deal with it ;)
Same as the US as I'm sure you can imagine. Almost anyone can walk in to any dealership with no money in their pocket, and just an ID card, and walk out with a car a hour or two later.

The week long paperwork ordeal and hassle of buying a car in Singapore was a shock to me. But then everything in Singapore that involves paperwork is a hassle.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 09 Sep 2013 2:25 pm

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 09 Sep 2013 4:16 pm

Hurry up and buy that 1.4TSI Golf.

Short Jardine C&C

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Sep 2013 6:14 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Hurry up and buy that 1.4TSI Golf.

Short Jardine C&C

Haha yeah, I really wanted one of those before I bought my Fit. Twin Turbo 1.4l? Sure. I have a Fit 'RS'. so even my car won't be Cat A anymore.