Singapore Expats

Need advice - Unfair security deposit deduction

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
dbfile

Need advice - Unfair security deposit deduction

Post by dbfile » Mon, 09 Sep 2013 2:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

Need some advise.

I am also having a problem with my deposit after vacating the apt last month. Landlord deducts more than 50% of my deposit without breakdown and receipts. We handover the apt in good tenable condition in fact I saw ads that the apt is open for rental, this shows that the apt is tenable. During hand-over LL raises only minor issues which will cover under wear and tear condition. Then later, he added few more issues such as aircon servicing even though we handed the contract to them and wash the curtains which is not in the TA. I cannot imagine how professional service personnel he hired to fix this issue that cost us to 2K deduction to our deposit.

For more than a week, I’ve been sending email and messages to LL, LL agent and my agent to provide us the breakdown of the deduction but no reply from them. I think they ignore my mails for they could not justify the deduction.
Any guidance on how should I address this issue? Is LL allowed to deduct from the deposit that is not agreed upon earlier? Do I have a case here to file a claim to SCT? If yes, how do I prepare for a hearing and how much does it cost to settle this issue in SCT?

Thanks in advance.
db8

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Sep 2013 3:06 pm

Have a read of this thread. It's long but it's got a lot of good stuff innit that will help you.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic60579.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 09 Sep 2013 3:21 pm

After resolving your issue, we'd appreciate it if you'll post an update to that thread as well so that future readers will have up-to-date information and an additional example of an issue and a matching resolution.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."