Singapore Expats

Live wires in tha wall

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
x9200

Live wires in tha wall

Post by x9200 » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 9:38 am

How deep they go to the wall in Singapore for residential properties? Typically?
We moved to a new place and the live wire detector I use just shows metal almost everywhere. Probably the walls are reinforced with some some metal bars/brackets (yes, the partition walls). For obvious reason I don't want to hit a live wire when drilling holes.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Live wires in tha wall

Post by the lynx » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 9:26 pm

x9200 wrote:How deep they go to the wall in Singapore for residential properties? Typically?
We moved to a new place and the live wire detector I use just shows metal almost everywhere. Probably the walls are reinforced with some some metal bars/brackets (yes, the partition walls). For obvious reason I don't want to hit a live wire when drilling holes.
Is that a HDB unit? As far as I know, wiring is not allowed at slab, beam, column, wall and in wall plaster or other finishes.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 9:32 pm

x9200 wrote:How deep they go to the wall in Singapore for residential properties? Typically?
They chase the walls about 12 to 19mm deep in a channel and lay the wires in it (if it's retro work). New installs have the wires run much deeper (in the brick work).

If the RCB/ELCB is working you're not at much risk of electrocution. I hardly worry about it myself.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 08 Sep 2013 6:27 pm

the lynx wrote:
Is that a HDB unit? As far as I know, wiring is not allowed at slab, beam, column, wall and in wall plaster or other finishes.
Correct. Although a poster here was claiming you could chase HDB walls I'm certain you can't - at least not legally. All HDB wiring is exposed in conduits or hidden behind false walls / ceilings / architraves.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 08 Sep 2013 7:43 pm

It's a condo and rather new (a few yo). The walls here are really weird. I already hit some cavity in one wall behind the built-in cabinet while drilling holes for the tv set. I don't think it was an in-brick electric conduit. The whole wall resonates like half empty when you knock on it.