Singapore Expats

Changing Passports with PR and EP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Changing Passports with PR and EP

Post by katbh » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 4:50 pm

My children (PR and Student Passes) hold two citizenships. We would like to change their PR to the other passports. Is this possible? I have had a look at ICA and MOM and can not see anything about this. Are there any downsides of letter ICA and MOM know that you have second citizenship?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 4:55 pm

As long as one of them isn't a Singapore one, it should be not too much of a problem, but they might try to say something, but I reckon they'll still probably do it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 5:23 pm

Why does it matter? Is one passport a lot more expensive to renew than the other?

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 6:48 pm

^ got it in one! But also, getting visas for china is easier on one than on the other.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 8:37 pm

katbh wrote:^ got it in one! But also, getting visas for china is easier on one than on the other.
Expensive passports and expensive Chinese visas? Oh hi, you must be American!

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 8:46 pm

^ Not, sorry.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 10:16 pm

It is not an issue. Call ICA. They will set up an appointment to have the second passport registered in the system. I did this to get REP stamp in my British as well as American passport. There is no facility to do it online. Once done, you get the same old PDF REP letter that you are supposed to carry in your passport.

Adding a second passport does not negate the first.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 10:22 pm

PNGMK wrote:Why does it matter? Is one passport a lot more expensive to renew than the other?
If you wish to travel on an alternate passport, the country you are entering wants to see evidence that you can go back to the country you came from. Example: I had a blank British passport... would certainly let me into the UK... but without a REP, Hong Kong, for example, would not let me board a plane to Singapore.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 7:26 am

Thanks Strong Eagle. Do you think it would have an impact on the renewal of the REP? If PR is seen as a 'pathway to citizenship' do you think that they would think twice about someone who already has dual nationality? The nationalities are British and Australian if this is of any relevance.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 9:45 am

katbh wrote:Thanks Strong Eagle. Do you think it would have an impact on the renewal of the REP? If PR is seen as a 'pathway to citizenship' do you think that they would think twice about someone who already has dual nationality? The nationalities are British and Australian if this is of any relevance.
I don't see it as an issue... and that's just me. You could also get a second REP for a second passport of the same nationality... quite a few people who travel extensively have two passports because of the long processing times to get Indian and other visas.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 11:51 am

Can you get two passports of the same nationality? Never knew that. It would make things a hell of a lot easier. One country just had my passport for 2 months - you have no idea how weird it felt being on the little red dot and knowing I could not leave!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 12:18 pm

katbh wrote:Can you get two passports of the same nationality? Never knew that. It would make things a hell of a lot easier. One country just had my passport for 2 months - you have no idea how weird it felt being on the little red dot and knowing I could not leave!
You can, but the requirements vary. For an American (which yes I know you're not), you could see this:

http://singapore.usembassy.gov/second-passports.html

SE's example of visas from countries with slow turn-arounds is one valid scenario. A second is if you have an Israel stamp and need to travel to some countries which would deny entry based on that.

As all things with passports and consulates, every consulate is different and has varying degrees of difficulty. I know the US Consulate in London makes it almost impossible (per a coworker), while the one here in SG pretty much told me to come back with the money and write a letter pretty much giving one of the two previously stated justifications and it was mine.