Singapore Expats

Surf coach - looking to relocate from Australia to Singapor

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Rhett

Surf coach - looking to relocate from Australia to Singapor

Post by Rhett » Sat, 24 Aug 2013 6:09 am

I am considering an international move and I'm thinking of Singapore as an option.
I have been a professional coach in surf life saving for ten years which has involved teaching all athletes from eight years old to sixty.
I have dealt with beginners who require basic learning techniques and professional athletes who have succeeded at the highest levels.

In case there are no options in the fitness industry in Singapore please advise if there are other opportunities within the Asia region.

Thanks

Rhett

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 8:53 am

Not many options for Surfing!!

Have you thought about sports teaching in International School?

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

not much detail supplied

Post by The Ref » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 12:14 pm

As mentioned above - there is no surf in Singapore.
There are a large number of local first aid / life savers in Singapore which means the pay would not be that great, and employment options limited to a few International clubs or water parks.
There are a number of swimming coaches in the higher end (eg ex Olympic swimmers) but I don't know how much work they get - again a lot of local swimming coaches service he local market so the market for you would be predominantly expat and that market is already well serviced.
There are a lot of fitness coaches/personal trainers here already and some seem to make quite good money. it is a different skill set but might be suitable.
katbh mentioned International Schools which would be a good option but you may need training or certificates.

As a pro coach in Surf Life Saving you would realise that a pro coach in another sport would not be as good a coach in SLS as you are, so you have to realise you would be that "other sport's coach" here. Look to where your strengths are and then think of what scenarios would want those skills. You have not put much in the post for us to give much advice.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 12:51 pm

There is a real short supply of private swimming coaches. These come to your condo pool and teach your child to swim individually or in small groups. They are very much in short supply - as are any sort of good swimming coaches. Once upon a time i coached swimming in aus and I think any swim coach in aus is going to be of a very high level when compared to local coaches. No offence intended up Dom Pfaff was the only local who was any good and he is Swiss!
But your issue would be getting an employment pass to do this. You should look at the threads on getting employment passes and how to go about this if you want to be self employed.
Also, I assume you will have relevant life saving certificates - SLNSW etc.

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Re: not much detail supplied

Post by thismyvoice » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 10:58 am

The Ref wrote:As mentioned above - there is no surf in Singapore.
There is a Wave House in Sentosa, Siloso Beach. Quite fun actually.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sun, 01 Sep 2013 3:38 pm

Yep, but suspect those cute young malay guys have no issues with EP!