Singapore Expats

Singapore PR for Brit - Any advise helpful

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 1:59 pm

For the record, I quoted his entire first post.

Just in case.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 2:18 pm

I thought about at 6:30 this morning while mopping up spammers before heading to work. Then said I'd do it when I got to the office. When I got a chance to log on it was 5 to 12 so had forgotten about it! :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

guyg

Post by guyg » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks SMS and likewise I respect your right to an opinion and to disagree with my views but I'd really appreciate a response to my main point. Why label the op an abuser?

My point re achieveing PTS PR under 2 years was just to clarify facts that it does happen (even in current climate) but I totally accept in this case highly unlikely hence why I though bgd's advice was spot on and as nut nut has said that message can be communicated far more politely.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 3:22 pm

guyg wrote:Thanks SMS and likewise I respect your right to an opinion and to disagree with my views but I'd really appreciate a response to my main point. Why label the op an abuser?

My point re achieveing PTS PR under 2 years was just to clarify facts that it does happen (even in current climate) but I totally accept in this case highly unlikely hence why I though bgd's advice was spot on and as nut nut has said that message can be communicated far more politely.
Yeah, I surprised as well, with the tone of some of the posters here for the mere mention of "I dont want to take up citizenship". Ironically, many regulars from this board are exactly maintaining that position. Granted that some of the regulars have strived hard and contributed a lot, but you need to give the benefit of the doubt to people. I think the moment someone mentions "Indian", some angry responses are automatically triggered. Spend sometime on the forum you will understand soon.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 3:29 pm

Well, if OP expects a polite response then don't call people names.
guyg wrote:, ... nut nut has said that message can be communicated far more politely.
Well I don't agree with the very mention of Indian that would trigger emotions. The OP is clearly an arrogant abuser. Does not want citizenship, wants PR in a short time because of job change. Bragging of triple masters from some leagues
Wd40 wrote:... I think the moment someone mentions "Indian", some angry responses are automatically triggered.
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 3:32 pm

yogaloungeforever wrote:Well, if OP expects a polite response then don't call people names.
guyg wrote:, ... nut nut has said that message can be communicated far more politely.
Well I don't agree with the very mention of Indian that would trigger emotions. The OP is clearly an arrogant abuser. Does not want citizenship, wants PR in a short time because of job change. Bragging of triple masters from some leagues
Wd40 wrote:... I think the moment someone mentions "Indian", some angry responses are automatically triggered.
When did he say he wants PR for job change? He said he wants to raise a family. He brought up his degrees, to ask about his PR approval chances. So I was right, after all :roll:

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 3:43 pm

adi_ wrote:...The key bit with PR is I cna switch jobs at will if I find something better and also gives more security...
Wd40 wrote: When did he say he wants PR for job change? He said he wants to raise a family. He brought up his degrees, to ask about his PR approval chances. So I was right, after all :roll:
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 3:46 pm

adi_ wrote:are you always a p***k or is today a special day for you, I am asking a question if you cant help then keep your gob shut dude, i want to know the reason why i need to wait for 2-3 years. what a knob!!
PNGMK wrote:
adi_ wrote:Yikes!!, are you serious...I would say thats a long wait, any specific chain of thought....that suggests I should wait for 2-3 years. The key bit with PR is I cna switch jobs at will if I find something better and also gives more security...
If you're not interested in taking PR to become a SC then piss off.

(At least that's the view of the ICA according to TRE).

Seriously just go away. We don't want people like you freak up the PR system anymore.
I'm always like this but your post aggravated my herpes itch (kudos to Hanni) more than usual. Seriously - if you're as well qualified as you claim you are (and your wife) then why not look for a greener pastures? Singapore is pretty much a done deal.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 3:49 pm

yoga, you have to admit, amongst locals, the trigger point is the mention of any one of three nationalities/ethnicities here. Indian, Pinoy or PRC. From an Expat/PR point of view it is Indian alone or at least on this board as we rarely ever see a PRC here. Most from the 'peens aren't really applying for PR here as they have no real desire to stay where they are hated so much by the locals (and frankly I don't blame them). But the majority of Indians here are those who were in the US/UK/Aus/Canada and either got tired of it, got retrenched or wanted to be "closer to India". "But if we can get PR we can buy a flat and rent it out after we return to India or eventually get PR in Aus/UK, etc., etc".

Permanent Resident was not EVER meant to be a long term employment visa only. It was for those who want to sink roots here for the long term. It was meant, originally, before it started being abused, as a stepping stone towards becoming a Citizen. This was easily understood as 3rd world countries like India, Indonesia and the rest of Asean, PRC, Taiwan, etc would take up citizenship easily (or so they thought). 1st world'ers, of which there are some long term PRs here are a different kettle of fish as they don't really see much sense in giving up a 1st world passport for a developing country that's not much more than a long term experiment that currently looks like it's getting ready to enter a maelstrom that could conceivably derail the whole country.

If he is just looking for a longer term visa, let him apply for a PEP. Most who file for PEPs are also just applying so as to abuse it's original intent as well, using it instead as a means to not having to leave the country after a local take the PMET's position back. Now that that is starting to expire (5 years, one time only) they are trying to apply PR for the same reason. he as much as said it. I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Being a PTS PR is of no consequence. PR is still PR regardless of how it's gotten. A PTS who is any good can stay on the EP. If he wants to buy a condo, still can. No problem.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sat, 31 Aug 2013 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 3:57 pm

Wd40 wrote:
yogaloungeforever wrote:Well, if OP expects a polite response then don't call people names.
When did he say he wants PR for job change? He said he wants to raise a family. He brought up his degrees, to ask about his PR approval chances. So I was right, after all :roll:
Not interested in getting a Singapore passport or citizenship at all.
He has no interest in being permanent at all. Full Stop.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 4:03 pm

yoga, you have to admit, amongst locals, the trigger point is the mention of any one of three nationalities/ethnicities here. Indian, Pinoy or PRC. From an Expat/PR point of view it is Indian alone or at least on this board as we rarely ever see a PRC here. Most from the 'peens aren't really applying for PR here as they have no real desire to stay where they are hated so much by the locals (and frankly I don't blame them). But the majority of Indians here are those who were in the US/UK/Aus/Canada and either got tired of it. Got retrenched or wanted to be "closer to India". But if we can get PR we can buy a flat and rent it out after we return to India or eventually get PR in Aus/UK, etc., etc.

Permanent Resident was not EVER meant to be a long term employment visa only. It was for those who want to sink roots here for the long term. It was meant, originally, before it started being abused, as a stepping stone towards becoming a Citizen. This was easily understood as 3rd world countries like India, Indonesia and the rest of Asean, PRC, Taiwan, etc would take up citizenship easily (or so they thought). 1st worlders, of which there are some long term PRs here are a different kettle of fish as they don't really see much sense in giving up a 1st world passport for a developing country that's not much more than a long term experiment that currently looks like it's getting ready to enter a maelstrom that could conceivably derail the whole country.

If he is just looking for a longer term visa, let him apply for a PEP. Most who file for PEPs are also just applying so as the abuse it's original intent as well, using is instead as a means to not having to leave the country after a local take the PMETs position back. Now that that is starting to expire (5 years, one time only) they are trying to apply for the same reason. he as much as said it. I have no sympathy whatsoever.

guyg

Post by guyg » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 6:31 pm

As much as I dislike the suggestion of judging the motives of an applicant based on whether he has 1st or 3rd world passports there is doubtless some truth to it. But that is not relevant here as the op is a British Citizen. Therefore he is no different to me or other long term PRs on this board. I'm not clear on what "abuser" actually means but if it includes trying to maximise benefits whilst not contributing to society I think he would be better off staying in the UK eg free maternity care etc. Whilst Singapore is a great place to live, life here as an EP can be costly and insecure (relative to living in UK) and when starting a family one understandable looks to try to reduce risks.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 7:04 pm

That's what PEP is for - 3 year visa for professionals earning good money.

PR is for those who wish to settle Permanently, hence the word Permanent in the name of the visa! The way he has written above seems to me and obviously everyone else that he is indeed not looking for a permanent move (why otherwise would he be so upset about having to wait 2-3 years)

Not everyone wants citizenship, that's fair enough, that's not a problem, for those who want PR and want to stay here for 3-4 years then give it up, these are the abusers as they are using a Permanent pass for the purpose of temporary stay, again, what the PEP is made for!

So my suggestion would be - get a PEP (you can apply after 1 or 2 months pay on a P1 pass), then apply after 2 years for PR if you are serious about staying, the more the gahmen see people leaving in the first 5 years the harder it will be for the rest of us to renew our REP and the fewer the "perks"of being PR will be.

nutnut
nutnut

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 7:05 pm

Oh, and for information, I don't care if he's black white brown or purple or which country he comes from this applies across the board as far as I see it!
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 7:14 pm

You seem to be forgetting one very important premise laid out by the government and understood by most EP holders. That is the fact that EPs are given out as ''Temporary Residency Permits" to allow the country to get the knowledge from "Foreign Talent". EPs by their very nature are temporary in nature and that's why they are only given for 1 to 5(rarely) years with 2 or 3 being the norm. Foreign Talent are by their very nature, short timers. Any EP holder who thinks he is coming here to migrate is sadly mistaken. Yes, one may eventually accomplish it, but the Government is going to make damn sure you are serious about it. That's why the normally long drawn our time frame to obtain it. If you want it bad enough, it's worth waiting for. Of course, if you are not the talent, or race, or both, that they think they'd like to keep around for the future, you will get rejected. You will not know why and rightly so, otherwise they start getting tailor made applications. Is the OP a British Citizen by birth or Naturalization? If they are Indians, they still have the right to return to India even if they were not born there. But that is immaterial. Should the guy be given PR, he will be classed as an Indian. Remember, the NRIC is categorized not by Nationality but by race. Deal with it.