Singapore Expats

PR chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Mag1972

PR chances

Post by Mag1972 » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 7:12 pm

Hello,

Wanted to check my chances of getting a PR. Need suggestion.

Race: Indian
Family: of 4 (spouse with 2 daughters)
Salary: 300K+ (annual)
Education: Engineering plus EMBA (from HSE, Singapore)
Work: with a MNC - IT Senior role - Regional responsibilities.

- Was in Singapore for 7 years earlier - 1998 until 2005 (on a EP, then changed it to a P2 pass)
- Moved to the US for 4 years
- Moved to SG again in 2010. Have been on PEP for the past 3 years. Valid till Jan 2016.

What are my chances on a PR application.

Thanks,

Mag

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 8:03 pm

Personally, I don't see your chances as very good. In fact, I'd be surprised if you did get it as you have already shown the government that you will leave the country, just like the majority of your countrymen, for a couple of grand more or any better opportunity and then, position available will return. They may see you as just another mercenary expat, I fear. I don't think your ethnicity will make any difference, nor will your income. Your exhibited opportunistic habits may sink you, I feel.

For the record a P2 IS an EP. As is a P1 and a Q pass. All are EPs.

The fact that they gave you a PEP three years ago may well be your saving grace, albeit it was approved before the 2011 GE. Apply and give it a chance. The worst they can do is say no. If that happens, you work on Plan B.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 2:00 am

I am wondering what did you do so great to move from P2 in 2005 (~5-6k pm) to 300k annual now. Is most of this 300k income your spouse's income?

Please share a bit more about your spouse too.

Mag1972

Few more details...

Post by Mag1972 » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 6:36 am

Yeah, certainly things have changed a lot from 1998. I did setup a IT consulting firm in 2001 (before dot com bust) and grew it to a 70 people entity until 2006. Ofcourse one cannot take much salary as you are ploughing back monies to grow the business further. That's when the P1, P2 classification was introduced.

Moreover, I moved to the US as my company was sold to a US firm which wanted me there (globalisation). By the way, I am part of regional sales team and the income includes incentives. Per month salary exceeds the minimal the gov wants for PEP. Spouse does not work (though she is a management graduate).

After 2011 GE, knew that the policies have changed. Hence did not apply until now. Just wanted to show that I am keen to stay and contribute. Have moved enough.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:51 pm

Ah, so your fixed income is much lower than your total income. This, in addition to the fact that you moved to US for 4 years make your chances low.

I will say, give it a shot now so that you have clarity on how things are going for you and can make a plan.

IndianPR

Post by IndianPR » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 5:55 pm

Bro, wht's your age ?
I hav read from other threads, 40+ slim the chances...

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 01 Sep 2013 8:44 pm

I don't doubt it's true that they would look poorly on people leaving for better opportunities elsewhere. But seriously...you would think they would want people with a global view and vision in this day and age. If Sing only wants people who are going to stay on this sinking ship no matter what...well...

PRconsultant

Post by PRconsultant » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 4:44 pm

It would be good to start applying for PR before Year 2016 when your PEP is gonna expire. If you are serious in settling down in SG for good I would say no harm to start trying now :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 4:58 pm

tic...toc...tic...toc....

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 8:05 pm

movingtospore wrote:I don't doubt it's true that they would look poorly on people leaving for better opportunities elsewhere. But seriously...you would think they would want people with a global view and vision in this day and age. If Sing only wants people who are going to stay on this sinking ship no matter what...well...
Lateral thinking ? Singaporeans.