Singapore Expats

Is the Angry Board dead?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:43 am

x9200 wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:No, we're talking about the one with the database error.
And how is it now?
"Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator."

Doubt it's really a database error. No database error takes this long to fix. I bet that page is just a placeholder.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:34 pm

Max Headroom wrote: Doubt it's really a database error. No database error takes this long to fix. I bet that page is just a placeholder.
If the database keeled over and died (or something killed it on them), and they lack backups, sure it could.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 6:15 pm

Yes, the moderator was mighty cranky there. Deleted my account for no apparent reason, no explanation, but I set it back up without any problem. Odd. He allowed guest postings so there was regular spam on it. We've not lost anything.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 8:37 pm

I reckon if you lost your backups, you best just whack the thing back online with what you little do have. Get it up and running and pretend all is well.

Then, if/when you retrieve the rest of your archive from, let's say, your crashed HD, then you do a quick and dirty overwrite to re-complete the whole thing.

Something is better than nothing eh. This blank page is wreaking havoc on their ad income, advertisers' loyalty, Google ranking, readership, reputation.

The only time this would happen for this long is if something major is up.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 10:45 pm

The never had much of a reputation. Well, they did. It was so bad it spawned a whole slew of other expat forums (four that I can remember) of which two still exist to this day. This one and Singaporum (where I've been a member even longer than here-It was my first new home before this board was created.

This board lost around 8 months worth of posts a few years ago thanks to a bad backup and a former regular who decided to try to delete the text out of 3K+ posts in a snit. But the Angry Board, couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch of wackos.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:53 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The never had much of a reputation. Well, they did. It was so bad it spawned a whole slew of other expat forums (four that I can remember) of which two still exist to this day. This one and Singaporum (where I've been a member even longer than here-It was my first new home before this board was created.

This board lost around 8 months worth of posts a few years ago thanks to a bad backup and a former regular who decided to try to delete the text out of 3K+ posts in a snit. But the Angry Board, couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch of wackos.
I thought you and the Angry Board had merged a few years back. But reading some posts in this thread, I think it's safe to say that's not the case, haha.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:22 pm

..........Image
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Re: Is the Angry Board dead?

Post by Chantikki » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 3:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Looks like it went for an upgrade or something and it died. It's been dead for a while now, but not sure for how long. Hope all the trolls done try to migrate over here, as they'll be in for a rude awakening. :devil:

If it is, it couldn't have happened to a better forum! :lol:
It doesn't load for me. BTW I'm a migrating troll, so look out!

Actually that board got boring in the last few years.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Mon, 26 Aug 2013 2:38 pm

What forum are you talking about? Why so cryptic?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Aug 2013 3:22 pm

Nobody's being cryptic. We just forget there are noobs on this board! :oops!: :shit: ;-)

The 'angry board' or 'other board' is our "nicks" for ExpatSingapore. The not so competitive competitor who was the original board here but was run by wackos and it descended into anarchy back in 2002 to the point that heaps of us left and started other boards like Singaporum and this one as well as a couple of others that died on the vine.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 4:07 pm

Definitely a lot of noobs on here this week (not to Singapore for sure, but on this board). Looks like the migration from the Angry Board has started in earnest. Fun times ahead until they learn this isn't the AB! :lol:

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 4:15 pm

The AB is dead! Long live the AB!

:lol:

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 4:35 pm

Good point SMS. Plus the fact that we've ratlled the TRE cage - the troll quotient may increase over the coming days and weeks.

Having said that, all genuine new posters who are sincere and keen to engage in (relatively!) civilised dialogue are of course very welcome!
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 4:40 pm

And Nak, x9200 & myself will take care of the rest. :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 4:41 pm

After giving you guys some time to play with the trolls of course! We'll not keep the fun to ourselves. :cool: