Singapore Expats Forum

English/Mandarin for your French/Bahasa Indon/Cantonese

Want to learn a new language? Find someone who can help here.
JenKJ

English/Mandarin for your French/Bahasa Indon/Cantonese

Postby JenKJ » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 3:03 pm

To the amazing people out there, I want to learn the following languages and looking for sincere language partners who have the patience to teach and practice with me. I do have some basic understanding of French and Cantonese but none for Bahasa Indon. To the kind soul who is willing to guide me, I am willing to do help you improve your English or Mandarin in return. If that does not interest you, I am also offering my sincere friendship and my professional skills or anything which I can be of help to you. My personal email is kwokjenb@gmail.com so email me if you are unable to pm me. See you soon =)

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 4:55 pm

Perhaps you are one who does not know it, but saying Bahasa Indonesia as Bahasa "Indon"...or calling us Indonesians in the quoted word, when you're a foreigner, is an insult.

If you are a true newbie, and does not understand the meaning of it, I believe you are forgiven, as it is an honest mistake.

But if you do not apologize in this forum, I take it you actually mean it as an insult. And besides, in Singapore and I believe in Malaysia also, our language is just merely called, "Bahasa".
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

JenKJ

Postby JenKJ » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 6:23 pm

I am sincerely sorry about that as I have no clue about it. No wish to insult anyone.

MitulP
Regular
Regular

Postby MitulP » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:04 pm

Surely calling an Indonesian, Indonesian can't be an insult? It's like calling an English person, English.

I'd take that as a compliment

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:46 pm

He apologized, so no harm done.

And yes, MitulP, it's not an insult if you say it like that.

What was wrong was the way he shortened the word bahasa "Indonesia" to bahasa "Indon"

To us, what is acceptable (what we call ourselves regularly when we feel that the wording is too long) is calling ourselves "Orang Indo" which in literal translation means Indonesian man/woman...it is the same if you say "Orang Indonesia".

An Englishman such as yourself, we would call you in our tongue as "Orang Inggris"

The condensed word with the "n" at the end is used mostly for flaming, usually when Indonesians and Malaysian debate against each other in forums or such (a really ugly and pointless debate actually) well that's what I had last anyway.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.