Singapore Expats

Microsoft Has Killed Skype for Android

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Microsoft Has Killed Skype for Android

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:02 pm

With the release of version 4.0, Microsoft has destroyed what was once a pretty good software product.

a) I don't have the menu icon (the 3 dots)
b) There is no way to search contacts. I have to scroll through more than 500 contacts. This is ridiculous.
c) When selecting a contact with multiple numbers, I don't get to see a list of numbers to select one... Skype just starts dialing.
d) International numbers dropped while dialing with message, long before an answer.

I'm looking for an alternative. I used Skype for long distance and international calls.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:48 pm

Try Vonage. Quality varies, but at least you can buy credits from the Google Play :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Microsoft Has Killed Skype for Android

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 1:22 am

Strong Eagle wrote:With the release of version 4.0, Microsoft has destroyed what was once a pretty good software product.

b) There is no way to search contacts. I have to scroll through more than 500 contacts. This is ridiculous.
c) When selecting a contact with multiple numbers, I don't get to see a list of numbers to select one... Skype just starts dialing.
d) International numbers dropped while dialing with message, long before an answer.

I'm looking for an alternative. I used Skype for long distance and international calls.
I was wondering what the f..k happened to it. I've found it unuseable the last week or so.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 8:27 am

Strong Eagle wrote: I'm looking for an alternative. I used Skype for long distance and international calls.
Google Voice. I find the rates better than Skype's to many places, the browser solution works great, and Android is their native platform.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 3:35 pm

Yeah, I find the new icon on the desk to be very annoying with the pulsing Skype symbol. Reminds me of the funny video on "Microsoft repackaging the iPhone" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 3:41 pm

The Window8 tablet version of skype is unuseable as well.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 4:35 pm

PNGMK wrote:The Window8 tablet version of skype is unuseable as well.
You actually bought a Windows8 tablet? :o :shock:

I shall try to stay with Windows 7 until they fix Windows 8 to have... well... Windows again. :wink:

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 5:31 pm

AngMoG wrote:

I shall try to stay with Windows 7 until they fix Windows 8 to have... well... Windows again. :wink:
No - I had Win8 on a PC and the tablet part had Skype on it which didn't work. I took it back and had it changed to Win7 Pro. See my post on Windows 8 sucks donkey dick

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:19 am

PNGMK wrote:
AngMoG wrote:

No - I had Win8 on a PC and the tablet part had Skype on it which didn't work. I took it back and had it changed to Win7 Pro. See my post on Windows 8 sucks donkey dick
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:52 am

PNGMK wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:With the release of version 4.0, Microsoft has destroyed what was once a pretty good software product.

I was wondering what the f..k happened to it. I've found it unuseable the last week or so.
I found the 3.2 APK for Android... main problem is that one must turn off auto updates or the piece of crap 4.0 magically reappears.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 3:40 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

I found the 3.2 APK for Android... main problem is that one must turn off auto updates or the piece of crap 4.0 magically reappears.
Ok well I have all auto updates off (roaming data charge suck byte mother).

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 5:31 pm

PNGMK wrote: No - I had Win8 on a PC and the tablet part had Skype on it which didn't work. I took it back and had it changed to Win7 Pro. See my post on Windows 8 sucks donkey dick

You should have just installed the Desktop version on the Win7 portion of the PC instead of using the tile version in Win8. I only use Win8 as a 'Start Screen' if I haven't got a shortcut on the desktop.

I've not been able to log into Skype on my Android tablet for weeks so, given I still haven't worked out what I need a tablet for, it basically sets in the corner collecting dust.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 8:26 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:
PNGMK wrote: No - I had Win8 on a PC and the tablet part had Skype on it which didn't work. I took it back and had it changed to Win7 Pro. See my post on Windows 8 sucks donkey dick

You should have just installed the Desktop version on the Win7 portion of the PC instead of using the tile version in Win8. I only use Win8 as a 'Start Screen' if I haven't got a shortcut on the desktop.

I've not been able to log into Skype on my Android tablet for weeks so, given I still haven't worked out what I need a tablet for, it basically sets in the corner collecting dust.
See I don't care - and that's the problem. If it doesn't work without a lot of farking around I don't want it.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 9:48 am

PNGMK wrote: See I don't care - and that's the problem. If it doesn't work without a lot of farking around I don't want it.

I think you went into it looking for an excuse.

Nothing works without putting in some effort, even Win7 and I know that myself after just upgrading another machine to Win7Pro from XP a couple of weeks ago.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 11:00 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:
PNGMK wrote: See I don't care - and that's the problem. If it doesn't work without a lot of farking around I don't want it.

I think you went into it looking for an excuse.

Nothing works without putting in some effort, even Win7 and I know that myself after just upgrading another machine to Win7Pro from XP a couple of weeks ago.
Actually I didn't. I was excited to try a new OS and bitterly disappointed in it.