Singapore Expats

3 Year waiting period for new Sg PR's to buy Resale HDB

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
tidus12000

Post by tidus12000 » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 6:11 pm

I share a common room with some strangers i dun know.

tidus12000

Post by tidus12000 » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 6:13 pm

i live in singapore

IndianPR

Post by IndianPR » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 6:33 pm

If i attain citizenship, can i buy a HDB ?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 6:55 pm

IndianPR wrote:If i attain citizenship, can i buy a HDB ?
Why not? In fact you may get a brand new HDB at subsidized rates with grants etc.

But then the "if" that you are talking about is a very very big "if"

IndianPR

Post by IndianPR » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 7:06 pm

wd40,

mean, irrespective of spouse status, citizen can buy HDB new/resale ?

This door is shut already ... lets knock the other! (Im not an Idle kid!)

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 7:13 pm

IndianPR wrote:wd40,

mean, irrespective of spouse status, citizen can buy HDB new/resale ?

This door is shut already ... lets knock the other! (Im not an Idle kid!)
There is a rule that allows citizens who are Single and above 35 to buy HDB flats but you are married to foreigner. Thats an interesting case. I am not sure. Maybe others can advise.

But typically you need to collaborate with spouse or sibling and that person has to be a SC/SPR to buy a HDB flat.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 7:35 pm

SC with foreigner spouse can buy under Non-Citizen Spouse

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf ... itizenship

You, the applicant must be a First-timer, and your spouse who is not a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident

But your spouse who is a non-citizen must have a short or long-term social visit pass.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 7:41 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:32 pm

Sorry folks, but I really object to the underlying tone of some of the posts here. The purpose of obtaining PR or SC status is NOT to enable someone to buy an HDB flat. It is intended for people who want to settle for here the long term and contribute to the country. If your only goal is to obtain housing at a favourable rate then frankly I hope you do not succeed.
Be careful what you wish for

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:45 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Sorry folks, but I really object to the underlying tone of some of the posts here. The purpose of obtaining PR or SC status is NOT to enable someone to buy an HDB flat. It is intended for people who want to settle for here the long term and contribute to the country. If your only goal is to obtain housing at a favourable rate then frankly I hope you do not succeed.
The PR benefits have now been reduced quite considerably and citizenship is something that also comes with a great price(read: you cannot withdraw your CPF even after your death) so don't be so concerned, if people are really taking PR/SC, at this time, to abuse it, they will pay a heavier price for it, and perhaps it serves them right for being so naive

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:00 pm

Wd40 wrote: (read: you cannot withdraw your CPF even after your death)
I'm not too sure where you get this information.

My understand is you can do a nomination for your CPF.

If don't have nomination, you family member still will get it.

Quote from http://ask-us.cpf.gov.sg/efa/answer/ind ... EFA_003739
When you are no longer around, we will pay your CPF savings to the Public Trustee for distribution to your family member(s) in accordance with the intestacy laws or inheritance certificate (for Muslims) in Singapore. This ensures that the welfare of your dependants is provided for.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:14 pm

therat wrote:
Wd40 wrote: (read: you cannot withdraw your CPF even after your death)
I'm not too sure where you get this information.

My understand is you can do a nomination for your CPF.

If don't have nomination, you family member still will get it.

Quote from http://ask-us.cpf.gov.sg/efa/answer/ind ... EFA_003739
When you are no longer around, we will pay your CPF savings to the Public Trustee for distribution to your family member(s) in accordance with the intestacy laws or inheritance certificate (for Muslims) in Singapore. This ensures that the welfare of your dependants is provided for.
I think I got that info from TRE :).
I believe not even your family member gets it, instead it goes to the family member's CPF account and when that member dies it goes into another's so basically the money never comes out of the loop.

Its ok if you are in it for the true reason for being a citizen, but imagine those who take up citizenship just to buy a HDB!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:15 pm

There is nothing wrong with therat's statement. You cannot withdraw your CPF even after your death. You can make a nomination, yes, but the monies will go into the nominees own CPF account. It will not be paid out in cash/cheque to the bank of your choice, unless you are a PR and subsequently give up your PR. That's the only way you will lay your hand on the monies. If you are a citizen it goes into your CPF account and will be treated like any other CPF top up.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

IndianPR

Post by IndianPR » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:14 am

Hello folks,

My atmost's desire is to settle in singapore, that's the reason i have been here for 8+ years and persistantly appy for my wife's PR. I am paying rent for 8+ years and must continue paying for next 4-5 years (even my wife's PR gets approved now), so should not think about other options to settle happily? Pl, think from my shoes & answer,

skipper
Regular
Regular

Post by skipper » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:01 am

IndianPR wrote:Hello folks,

My atmost's desire is to settle in singapore, that's the reason i have been here for 8+ years and persistantly appy for my wife's PR. I am paying rent for 8+ years and must continue paying for next 4-5 years (even my wife's PR gets approved now), so should not think about other options to settle happily? Pl, think from my shoes & answer,
I didn't mention my savings like the others, just what I spent on rent over the past 5 years :)

I guess you just have to take your lumps and wait it out until your wife's PR is approved. Maybe by then, resale flat prices will have dropped offsetting your rental payments from hereon..