Singapore Expats

Kindly advise Q1 employment pass to PR chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
meiyee

Kindly advise Q1 employment pass to PR chances

Post by meiyee » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 9:15 am

Greetings,

I just graduated from a university in New York, US, and a big financial company offered me an internship position for 1 year.

Nationality: Malaysian
Race: Chinese
Work experience: Around 1.5 years, which consists of internships on Wall Street, NYC, and different countries like Japan etc. It's not really full-time work because I study full-time as well, so I'm not sure if that counts.

The financial firm in Singapore is applying for an employment pass for me to start in Oct 2013, and I did some research and found out that Q1 visa can apply for Permanent Residence with at least 6 months pay slips. My salary will be 3.1K, and the company is sponsoring my flight.

So my question is should I try to apply for PR after 6 months of work (early April) so that if I get rejected, I can at least still apply after another 6 months or so. The thing is, my company sign contract with me that my work will only be 1 year, ending October 2014, so I'll prefer to have at least tried twice for PR. I heard that there is potential for full-time employment after the contract, but it is very competitive.

What are my chances based on my profile and situation? Kindly advise. Thank you :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:18 am

Your racial demographics are ideal, your employment and salary not ideal. Hard to say. Get married or work here for a few more years and you'll get it for sure.

meiyee

Post by meiyee » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:04 am

so should I still try after 6 months? I understand that I'll need to ask my employer to sign some section of the PR application... don't know what my employer will think...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 12:02 pm

I wouldn't bother, if I were you, until I'd been here on an employment pass for at least 2 years (minimum). Unless, you have don't have problems with rejection letters. Some do.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Wed, 28 Aug 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 12:23 pm

Please excuse my bluntness, but why the big rush to get PR? If I read your posts correctly, you're not even living here yet, but you're already wanting Permanent Residence? How can you be sure that you really want to permanently settle in Singapore if you've not even moved here? Surely it would be better to work on an Employment Pass for a few years before deciding whether this place suits for the long haul?
Be careful what you wish for

meiyee

Post by meiyee » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 1:29 pm

it's okay @MiAmigo. I grew up in Malaysia for the first 19 years of my life and visited Singapore quite often for family and close friends reasons. honestly, being treated as a second class citizen in my own country sucks. thanks for your input :)

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks for clarifying; I understand your POV better now. As zzm implied above, the anecdotal evidence that we've repeatedly seen is that your 'category' (sorry for using such an inhumane sounding word) is still favoured in PR applications, so with a couple of years' work experience you'd likely be a shoo-in.

As SMS says, if you're not afraid of rejection, you could try now, but if I were in your situation I'd at least wait until the first employment stint in SG is well underway. Just re-reading your first post, I see that you were considering applying after 6 months (April). Whatever you decide to do, please update this thread with the status and outcome as that info could be helpful to other folks in a similar situation later on.

Good luck.
Be careful what you wish for

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 2:06 pm

meiyee wrote:it's okay @MiAmigo. I grew up in Malaysia for the first 19 years of my life and visited Singapore quite often for family and close friends reasons. honestly, being treated as a second class citizen in my own country sucks. thanks for your input :)
A similar argument can be made for an Indian, Filipino or Burmese anxious to escape poverty. Or a Chinese anxious to live with a Singaporean spouse. Or...you get the idea.

Just be patient; their country, their rules, albeit unpublished.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Local Talent

Post by Local Talent » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 8:43 pm

I would think you stand a very good chance of getting PR , after working and living here for a few years.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 9:16 pm

Local Talent wrote:I would think you stand a very good chance of getting PR , after working and living here for a few years.
#-o ](*,) Yep, Local Talent alright. Didn't bother to read the thread.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers