Singapore Expats

WSJ report on PRC bus driver strike, and foreigner reliance

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

WSJ report on PRC bus driver strike, and foreigner reliance

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Aug 2013 2:10 pm

Last edited by zzm9980 on Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 26 Aug 2013 2:19 pm

I was far more interested in the heavy handling of the volunteer migrant support workers.... and how, once again, Singaporean's are so ignorant of their own constitutional rights and how easily cowed they are (ignoring of course the 'emergency act' that has been continually renewed since the 50's that is the basis of law for this sort of stuff).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Aug 2013 2:25 pm

Well I thought I was just starting to read it, but then realize it cuts off and continues tomorrow. I guess we'll have to wait to see if WSJ just paints this a bright rose color, or what.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:31 am

Part 2:
http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2013/0 ... od=WSJBlog

Covers complaints and SMRT's treatment of the Chinese. Apparently SMRT fires anyone that complains and used to confiscate passports until MOM intervenes.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:44 am

I reckon we'll see the WSJ in court for besmirching Singapore's good name. Again. Looks like they are doing a good job so far though.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 1:48 pm

Interesting article(s). I did have a little giggle at the comment about Singaporeans complaining that folks from the PRC have a 'weak grasp of English'. Hmmm. Pot, kettle, etc...?
Be careful what you wish for

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 1:53 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Interesting article(s). I did have a little giggle at the comment about Singaporeans complaining that folks from the PRC have a 'weak grasp of English'. Hmmm. Pot, kettle, etc...?
Well, relatively speaking Singaporeans are better than PRCs, Taiwanese, Japanese, Koreans etc in their English skills.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 1:55 pm

You will notice that they don't say anything about the PRC's weak command of Mandarin, considering the locals only are able to manage Sindarin and that, apparently just about as badly as the Singlish.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 1:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You will notice that they don't say anything about the PRC's weak command of Mandarin, considering the locals only are able to manage Sindarin and that, apparently just about as badly as the Singlish.
I have, however, come across cases where Singaporeans complain that they have been looked down upon by PRCs for their poor mandarin skills.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 1:59 pm

Wd40 wrote:Well, relatively speaking Singaporeans are better than PRCs, Taiwanese, Japanese, Koreans etc in their English skills.
Among my colleagues at the office, the best English speaker (and writer) is from China. Maybe that's an exception to prove the rule, but are your sure of the above blanket statement?
Be careful what you wish for

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 2:14 pm

Yeah, there are exceptions. But if you pick an average chinese from even a top city like Beijing or Shanghai, I will be surprised if he/she can string an English sentence together.

If they could, they would have become a super power already with all the services outsourcing going to them instead of India and Philippines.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 2:18 pm

You will notice that damn few outsource to Singapore. That should tell you something as well.

Wd40, Well the PRC should look down on the lowly class of Mandarin they speak here. They look down on poor mandarin the same way as the Natural English speakers tend to look down on Singlish. Again, rightly so. Singaporeans are a jack of all trades (languages), but a master of none.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 2:21 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yeah, there are exceptions. But if you pick an average chinese from even a top city like Beijing or Shanghai, I will be surprised if he/she can string an English sentence together.

If they could, they would have become a super power already with all the services outsourcing going to them instead of India and Philippines.
No, because in top cities like that they cost more money. You should really visit these places you make sweeping statements about. You would find Shanghai or Beijing, and its middle-class residents, more sophisticated than the comparable in Singapore.

I think we talked about this recently in another thread. The better educated Chinese who speak decent enough English will either A) Stay in China to make their fortune (Something you WD40 of all people should respect :P) or B) Go to the West or Australia. Singapore is seen as a second-tier destination for those who need the Mandarin-speaking safety-blanket or want to hide their dirty money. Almost none of my coworkers in China have a desire to come to Singapore. Many of them would like to go to the US though.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 2:24 pm

To the articles...

They're interesting but tell us (expats here) mostly what we already know. I'm interested to see the conclusion a source like the WSJ comes to. Pro-business/PAP, or with the people/opposition? Or just leave it open ended.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 27 Aug 2013 2:27 pm

zzm9980 wrote:To the articles...

They're interesting but tell us (expats here) mostly what we already know. I'm interested to see the conclusion a source like the WSJ comes to. Pro-business/PAP, or with the people/opposition? Or just leave it open ended.
And I can't wait for the third article...

This is like trying to catch a movie sequel!