Singapore Expats

Landlord keeps 1 access card to the unit. Common practice??

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:10 pm

Hannieroo wrote:It's not illegal in the UK. I've done it. In Texas it's mandatory for the LL to change the locks and only the tenants have the keys.
Unless the tenants agree in the lease terms for the landlords to have a key. Ours did... then again, they are great tenants and we are great landlords. :)

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:35 pm

Our LL never asked. We would have said no but only because he was overseas, never met him and the previous tenant had been a hooker so we had some initial security issues.

I did have a LL that let himself in several times a week when I was out. I started leaving my dogs in the hall. Cured him.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 7:43 am

Sometimes there are warning signs. Our previous LL when asked how he would like to have the mail addressed to him delivered said he would just come over from time to time and check the mailbox.

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Landlord keeps 1 access card to the unit. Common practic

Post by teck21 » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:18 am

abbym wrote:Are you allowed to change the locks on a property that isn't yours?
Yes, but they enjoy telling you you cannot. Unless it's written into the TA, which presumably people read before they sign.

Roy_alt

Post by Roy_alt » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 4:03 pm

In the UK, it is common that the landlord give a set of keys to his letting agent to visit the unit for any repair, bringing new tenants etc... even though the tenant is not present.
They will just call the tenant and let him know about the visit 24 hrs in advance.
I was surprised when I went for viewing a house in the UK, the agent just knocked the door few times, no answer, just opened the door using the keys and entered the unit asking "hellooo Is anybody there ?"

bradtok

Post by bradtok » Mon, 26 Aug 2013 12:11 am

Great thread. Managed to resolve my issues too. My LL was trying to ask for weekly inspections of the unit.

Thanks everyone.