Singapore Expats

Commuting to Singapore from Johor

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
altair

Commuting to Singapore from Johor

Post by altair » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 9:05 pm

I know this is an old topic, but i just need some help on the current scenario. I have recently relocated to singapore from india on an employment pass. My workplace is near Tuas. As usual, plummeting rents in singapore has led me to think about commuting from Johor. But i have struck off the causeway as that will take me several hours. However i am seriously considering the 2nd link. Since my workplace is not very far from the 2nd link, i was wondering if it would be a possibility to stay in Johor and commute. I was thinking of a motorcycle may be. Could somebody throw some light on the traffic conditions at around 6:30-7:00 in the morning. How long would it take me to cross the link? And also what could be the expenses in doing so?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 9:45 pm

Lots of issues;

Malaysian visa
Malaysian crime
Malaysian residence

Traffic is not the issue at that time in the morning. The 2nd link costs MR8.00 plus some on the Singapore side I think ($2.80?).

Suggest you consider visa issue first, then consider location and cost of residence. A large oil service company moved all their people back to Singapore out of Johor recently due to crime issues. Not to be underestimated. The robbers simply show up with many more guys than guard, tie them you and them up and empty your house. Nothing can be done and they're almost certainly in cahoots with the police anyways.

altair

Post by altair » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:50 pm

Holy crap! Thats terrifying as shit. Anyway, thanks for the heads up PNGMK. I plan to visit and check out a few places in malaysia before taking the decision any further.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Commuting to Singapore from Johor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:58 pm

altair wrote:As usual, plummeting rents in singapore has led me to think about commuting from Johor.
I don't think it means what you think it means.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:01 pm

altair wrote:Holy crap! Thats terrifying as shit. Anyway, thanks for the heads up PNGMK. I plan to visit and check out a few places in malaysia before taking the decision any further.
There's a reason there's 5.5MM of us jammed on this island and only 1.37 MM in JB.

Malaysia | 90.6 people/km^2 (people per square kilometer)
Singapore | 7716 people/km^2 (people per square kilometer)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:37 pm

I know an Indian IT worker, working in Mapletree business park commutes from JB. But then his wife is Malaysian passport holder and thats how he got a long term visa to stay there.

If you sort out the visa, everything else is workable.

altair

Post by altair » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 2:56 pm

My mistake zzm9980. i got confused. i meant rising rents 8-)

Hey Wd40, could you maybe provide me with a little more help in this regard? It would be a great help if i could know the area he stays in, the time taken to commute, the exact toll expenses, etc. Or if you could give me some way to contact him that would be really great. About the visa problem, i will be looking into it. I hv heard that buying a property in Johor will allow one to stay in malaysia on a long term visa. I am talking to people and trying to smoothen out these issues.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 26 Aug 2013 10:19 am

altair wrote:My mistake zzm9980. i got confused. i meant rising rents 8-)

Hey Wd40, could you maybe provide me with a little more help in this regard? It would be a great help if i could know the area he stays in, the time taken to commute, the exact toll expenses, etc. Or if you could give me some way to contact him that would be really great. About the visa problem, i will be looking into it. I hv heard that buying a property in Johor will allow one to stay in malaysia on a long term visa. I am talking to people and trying to smoothen out these issues.
It is under MM2H scheme. You can Google for it. But it has to worth MYR1mil, I think.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:58 am

If travelling by bike then traffic will be a problem at that time. You really need to look at travelling off peak, i.e. much earlier or much later. And you will also get it at the other end of the day.

There are thousands of Malaysians who work in Sg and travel to and from by bike every day.

I met one guy who has been doing it for 18 years. He travels through at around 10am and says it's okay then. Any earlier would add 2 hours to his journey - his words.

I know people who commute by car and they don't have issues. Less cars commuting due to cost I guess.

On the weekends it's the opposite. You are much better on a bike then.