Singapore Expats

Young Dubliner found dead

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Young Dubliner found dead

Post by Fortan » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 9:35 am

I was made aware of this article about the death of a Dublin girl in her 20's, here in Singapore, by a friend. I was wondering whether any of you have read the story or heard anything about it here in Singapore? From what I understand there was only a little notice about this in one of the smaller papers here saying police was treating the death as being suspiscous .... So sad :(

Rest In Peace

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/du ... 85475.html

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Young Dubliner found dead

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:01 am

Fortan wrote:I was made aware of this article about the death of a Dublin girl in her 20's, here in Singapore, by a friend. I was wondering whether any of you have read the story or heard anything about it here in Singapore? From what I understand there was only a little notice about this in one of the smaller papers here saying police was treating the death as being suspiscous .... So sad :(

Rest In Peace

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/du ... 85475.html
It was / is in the news ..

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 71496.html

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:21 am

I see..... police investigation still on-going apparently. Just wondering why it has got very little media attention that such a young girl mysteriously dies?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:48 am

Fortan wrote:I see..... police investigation still on-going apparently. Just wondering why it has got very little media attention that such a young girl mysteriously dies?
Pretty standard practice here. The SPF although competent are not exactly good at media releases.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:18 pm

Probably not much press as it did not appear to be a violent crime from what I've read.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 1:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Probably not much press as it did not appear to be a violent crime from what I've read.
You are probably right. Just as tragic though if there is a crime behind it. No one should leave us at that age....

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 2:30 pm

Lot's of my mates did, before that age. :-( And yes, I consider the VN war as criminal.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 2:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Lot's of my mates did, before that age. :-( And yes, I consider the VN war as criminal.
Yep. Offshore life was rough back then. I rememeber sitting on the Danwood Ice watching bodies (dead ones) floating past.

As for the young Irish lass, I hope she didn't die as a result of stupid behaviour (i.e. drowning in Guiness) but something undetectable took her out.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 2:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Lot's of my mates did, before that age. :-( And yes, I consider the VN war as criminal.
Sad to hear that :(

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 3:23 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Yep. Offshore life was rough back then. I rememeber sitting on the Danwood Ice watching bodies (dead ones) floating past.

As for the young Irish lass, I hope she didn't die as a result of stupid behaviour (i.e. drowning in Guiness) but something undetectable took her out.
I thought the Danwood Ice wasn't finished being converted to a Drillship until the mid '70's around 75? I must be getting forgetful in me old age.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 3:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

I thought the Danwood Ice wasn't finished being converted to a Drillship until the mid '70's around 75? I must be getting forgetful in me old age.
Yes - the bodies were from the DB that overturned in the typhoon off HK in 90.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 3:56 pm

One of the guys on the crew of the DB29 on that fateful day was at my wedding way back in '83. He's back in Colorado now as he was lucky, in so much as he survived, but ended up with a bum knee which kind of put paid to his rig days.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Aug 2013 4:24 pm

I was on the DS Seacrest and was on time off when she went over during Typhoon Gay in '89. I'd spend a total of around 1.5 years on her but in two different time spans/wells.