Singapore Expats

LTVP / LTVP+ for spouse of SC

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
saief

LTVP / LTVP+ for spouse of SC

Post by saief » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:03 am

Hello! This is my first post here and have found this forum already very helpful. I have some questions in regards to LTVP as I'm realizing from reading other posts, it's not that easy to receive a LTVP for a foreign spouse.

I do surrently live and work in France and my singaporean wife is in Singapore .. this situation is gonna remain unchanged for quite sometime.

My questions are:

1/ Is it possible to have a LTVP just to be able to visit my wife in Singapore and for the sake of avoiding visa applications each time I travel to see her ?

2/ Are there any obligations for LTVP holders to stay in Singapore ? Work in Singapore ?

I am only considering the LTVP for the time being as a replacement to a visa. Is that possible?

many thanks for your help!

Cheers,

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:18 am

Shouldn't be any problem but you have to be here to get it issued. (You would have to return to Singapore if you are not currently here. LTVP holders are not allowed to work so as long as you ensure you get the multiple-entry on the LTVP (Additional $30) you will not have to worry about getting a visa.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

saief

Post by saief » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:37 am

Excellent - that's great, thanks a lot for your quick reply sundaymorningstaple

Would there be any disadvantage of having held a LTVP / LTVP+ without having stayed regularily in Singapore (e.g. 4 trips a year with a stay of 1/2 weeks each time) ?

thank you again for your help

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 6:46 am

Aside from it being not what the visa is meant for, as long as you qualify for it, I don't see any real reason why it would adversely affect anything in the future.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:09 am

a little note from what I know .. if you get a 1 year LTVP initially, and spend less than 6 months of the 1 year, next renewal is also for 1 year.

Now within the 1st year if you spend more time here, subsequent renewals are giving 3 or 5 years .. :)

Now if you get a 5 years LTVP on your approval, case closed !!!

saief

Post by saief » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 6:15 pm

Perfect ! Thanks a lot guys for your replies. Very helpful

Do you know what are the conditions to have to obtain the 5-year LTVP ?

I understood from what I read that ICA criterias are not always very clear, but do you have an idea about any particular criterai (duration of mariage prior to application, income, etc.) ?

When renewing the LTVP do we have to also go through the same process as per the first application ? (presence in Singapore for few weeks to make the application and then wait for the outcome etc.) ?

Thanks a lot for your precious advise !

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 8:14 pm

saief wrote:Perfect ! Thanks a lot guys for your replies. Very helpful

Do you know what are the conditions to have to obtain the 5-year LTVP ?

See below

I understood from what I read that ICA criterias are not always very clear, but do you have an idea about any particular criterai (duration of mariage prior to application, income, etc.) ?

Sadly, we do not know the internal criteria that they use. We assume it's a point spread based on a lot of factors, but we couldn't even begin to guess.

When renewing the LTVP do we have to also go through the same process as per the first application ? (presence in Singapore for few weeks to make the application and then wait for the outcome etc.) ?

Maybe squirrel can answer that, but I would assume the answer would be yes as it's a new LTVP, not a renewal.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:25 am

saief wrote: I understood from what I read that ICA criterias are not always very clear, but do you have an idea about any particular criterai (duration of mariage prior to application, income, etc.) ?
Well, ICA thinks if you been married for more than 3 years, you are really Married .. LOL

Don't ask the logic, but more than 3 years, chances are higher .. that's from seeing the others getting longer passes or shorter passes ..

Income etc - no, they don't reveal and I can't measure, though a pay of about 4,000 is talked about, though some SC earning less to get LTVP..

Me not been through that, but previously, it was just walk over, and get it done. Now for renewals for some friends, documents are being asked. And an e-appointment need to be made to submit etc.

Then again, don't worry too much about renewal, Yet ..

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:41 am

If you are a French full passport holder I dont see why you would need a LTVP, you get a 30 day visa on arrival extendable up to 3 months on arrival by air.

Every time your LTVP expires you would need to head down to ICA by taking an appointment and apply to get your visa renewed, then after a week (can be done together if online LTVP renewal done) swapping your old card for a new one. Fingerprinting requirement exists every 5 years.

It is more of a hassle, I know an Indian passport holder who applied from France and got a two year multiple entry SVP - 30 day per visit. So even if you do not have a passport from a visa waiver country - Multiple entry SVP might be easier.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 11:30 am

An Indian who applies from India also gets a 2 year multiple entry visa, with 30 days per entry.

saief

Post by saief » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks a lot sundaymorningstaple and ecureilx for your detailed answers. This is very helpful.

FaeLLe and Wd40, I did not know about the 2-year multiple entry visa. This is very interesting indeed, no one at the embassy told me that a visa for longer than 1 year exists.

Although, the advantage ofhaving the LTVP / LTVP+ is to have easier conditions if one eventually thinks of getting a job in Singapore at some point. It is not really about the duration of the stay for me (30 days are more than enough)...