Singapore Expats

LAST YEAR of studying REJECTED STUDENT PASS

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jajarules

LAST YEAR of studying REJECTED STUDENT PASS

Post by jajarules » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 8:33 pm

I did not see this coming.

I'm screwed. I don't know what to tell my dad.
My grades are fine. Just that sometimes I forget to sign attendance.
C'monnnnnnn.

How do I prove to them that I'm too lazy to work
soooo they shouldn't worry about me.

I'm 25 and I live with my dad.
BLAH last year and i can go back home.

HELP.
PLEASE.

THANKS.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:35 pm

Your post is not very clear. Did you school revoke your student pass for insufficient attendance or did ICA revoke your student pass for "some" reason?

jajarules

Clearer post

Post by jajarules » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:51 pm

Hey bloodhound123,

I think they denied it because of my attendance.
Sometimes I forget to sign.
Also, I don't work so somehow I thought they'd know that I don't work.
Even if I don't sign the roster.

I take full responsibility.

I just want to know what i can do to fix it.
If it gets denied, are there other options for me?
They didn't really explain.
They just asked me to write an appeal.

Do i keep appealing until I finish the year haha.
Reallyyyyy clueless.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Re: Clearer post

Post by bloodhound123 » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:30 pm

jajarules wrote:Hey bloodhound123,

I think they denied it because of my attendance.
Sometimes I forget to sign.
Also, I don't work so somehow I thought they'd know that I don't work.
Even if I don't sign the roster.

I take full responsibility.

I just want to know what i can do to fix it.
If it gets denied, are there other options for me?
They didn't really explain.
They just asked me to write an appeal.

Do i keep appealing until I finish the year haha.
Reallyyyyy clueless.
This is still not clear to me. I am assuming that you are currently enrolled in a private school. I called up my friend who is pursuing his doctoral studies in NUS and he has never heard of such as thing as ICA revoking the student passes. However he mentioned that ICA strictly monitors the attendance records of students in private schools and should they fall short of the requirements, the student pass is revoked. And once revoked the students don't have much luck in getting it reinstated/coming back to Singapore for those courses again.

This is done so as to prevent scams similar to the ones that happened in the US a few years ago. A few universities were operating without a valid license and just acting as a conduit to bring to foreigners "legally". In order to prevent such acts and ensuring that private schools are serious about their students and courses ICA embarks on such monitoring.

I dont know if you have any option but to appeal to ICA with good character references from your professors/university management.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: LAST YEAR of studying REJECTED STUDENT PASS

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:42 pm

Seriously, I cant believe anyone will want to take up a course in a peanuts paying country like Singapore, just to work illegally.

Considering the high cost of living here and low wages, thats a crazy proposition.

Singapore should stop pretending they are US, UK or even Australia :roll:

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 12:03 am

There are scores of XYZ private schools operating here in Singapore. I too was shocked to see that there are so many private schools here. And I do know of a few foreign students from developing countries who enrolled for courses in these schools in order to earn a "singaporean/foreign" degree.

It is ICA's responsibility to ensure that these schools don't do anything unlawful and maintain a standard. Though I do agree for that it is an unfeasible proposition for someone to come hear under the umbrella of a private school and work for peanuts.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 1:04 am

Wd40 wrote:Seriously, I cant believe anyone will want to take up a course in a peanuts paying country like Singapore .... :lol:, just to work illegally

So why-lah so many Indians want to come to Singapore to work? Even those coming from Aussie/NZ/US/GBR?
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 1:16 am

yogaloungeforever wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Seriously, I cant believe anyone will want to take up a course in a peanuts paying country like Singapore .... :lol:, just to work illegally

So why-lah so many Indians want to come to Singapore to work? Even those coming from Aussie/NZ/US/GBR?
They are working legally in skilled areas, without paying a bomb on college fees.

The case we are discussing is where people enroll in sham universities and work illegally. At best they do un-skilled work like petrol pump, departmental stores, restaurants etc. Those jobs pay well in true developed countries, so it makes sense for Indians to go there and enroll in sham courses, they earn back more than what they spend on the college fees.

In Singapore, wages for unskilled work are so low that you dont even see students working part time here like they do in true developed countries.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 8:52 am

jajarules wrote:I did not see this coming.

I'm screwed. I don't know what to tell my dad.
My grades are fine. Just that sometimes I forget to sign attendance.
C'monnnnnnn.

How do I prove to them that I'm too lazy to work
soooo they shouldn't worry about me.

I'm 25 and I live with my dad.
BLAH last year and i can go back home.

HELP.
PLEASE.

THANKS.
OP, please provide clearer details to your situation if you would like solid advice.

1. Rejected or revoked student pass?

2. You're implying that you did not do part-time work under illegal terms and you intend to prove that. Is that correct?

3. I guess the other posters were right about appealing with character reference from schools. Try that if that's what you're looking for?

4. You're 25. Whining like a 15-year-old in a post asking for help AND not providing information properly will make it hard for others to try to advise you.