Singapore Expats

Laptop friendly cafes?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbym
Regular
Regular

Laptop friendly cafes?

Post by abbym » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:08 am

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some places to go to work on my laptop? I get bored sitting at home staring at the walls and having to stop work to go out and eat. I've seen a lot of students with laptops in starbucks, and wondered if there are any other places that people frequent with their work? Perhaps places a bit more interesting than starbucks :P

Abby

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:34 am

Get a data plan on your phone. Make sure it supports wifi hotspot. Surf anywhere you can pick up a 3G or better signal.

Or, go here http://home.singtel.com/hotspot/wirelesssg/login.asp

to learn how to connect to wireless@SG hotspots or here

http://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Files/Inf ... 0List1.pdf

to see where those hotspots alleged exist... although some of them truly suck, and a lot of them just plain suck... much better speeds via your phone.

abbym
Regular
Regular

Post by abbym » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks for the tip - I was wondering how to use the wireless SG spots!

I was more looking for recommendations on places to go that wont mind me sitting in with my laptop for so long though

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:45 pm

If you have a data plan, and depending on where you are, how about the Lagoon Hawker on East Coast Park. Get one of the covered seats with a fan. Coffee won't be up to much but when you get bored you can have a paddle.

It is closing for 3 months shortly though. :(

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:53 pm

I haven't tried it, but the libraries should provide them (for free) though. But they won't allow drinks and food :P
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:55 pm

abbym wrote:Thanks for the tip - I was wondering how to use the wireless SG spots!

I was more looking for recommendations on places to go that wont mind me sitting in with my laptop for so long though
Wireless@SG hotspots are practically useless with so many people trying to connect to them.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 4:15 pm

Serendipitous timing. A local foodie blog just posted a list this week and I bookmarked it:

http://www.ladyironchef.com/2013/08/caf ... singapore/

If you live in the east, Penny University (East Coast Rd and Telok Kurau Rd) is my favorite currently for both their muddy espresso and decent wifi. You can get the password from the cashier.

abbym
Regular
Regular

Post by abbym » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 5:21 pm

Thank you everyone! Loads of places for me to try out - I live east coast so plenty to choose from by the sounds of it!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 7:17 pm

abbym wrote:Thank you everyone! Loads of places for me to try out - I live east coast so plenty to choose from by the sounds of it!
Let me know which ones you find in the area that you like. My favorite Penny Uni is really good, but often crowded so wouldn't mind a backup.