Singapore Expats

Starting a company as EP holder for my wife

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Starting a company as EP holder for my wife

Post by Fortan » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:42 am

The situation:

- I am currently working in Singapore on a local contract and hold an EP.
- My wife and children are here on DP's.
- My wife is a certified yoga instructor.

My income is more than sufficient for both of us to live on. However my wife really wants to work again and in order for her to do so legally, I am thinking that the right way to get her going is for her and I to start up a local company and through that she would be granted permission to start working.

My idea is to register a company but I am not sure how that is done. Neither am I sure whether we should register the company in her name or my name - or both?

Can anyone help me out here, as I have absolutely NO prior experience with starting up a company. I don't know the rules and I could really do with some advice.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:09 am

Consider applying for PR. You as an EP holder cannot start a company. Your wife as a DP holder probably can, but its a very complicated process and I dont think you wanna go there. But there are threads regarding this in the forum

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:22 am

Wd40 wrote:Consider applying for PR. You as an EP holder cannot start a company. Your wife as a DP holder probably can, but its a very complicated process and I dont think you wanna go there. But there are threads regarding this in the forum
Very little of the information stated here is correct. PR can be a very long and drawn out process. If your child is male he is subject to national service. PR is for people who intend to stay, not for getting spousal units a job. Don't abuse the privilege.

EP's may certainly form a company but it would probably raise less eyebrows for the DP to do the formation. Please note that in Singapore there is a legal distinction between "company" and "business".

It's not that complicated but you must do your homework.

Certainly, you want to "go there" if your wife want to legitimately run a business.

Check these threads, then find useful keywords in them to search for more.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic60398.html

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic75000.html

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:39 am

One point to remember, it's actually a lot easier than you think you a DP holder to be granted a valid pass to legally work in Singapore via a Letter of Consent (LOC)

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 1:16 pm

Saint wrote:One point to remember, it's actually a lot easier than you think you a DP holder to be granted a valid pass to legally work in Singapore via a Letter of Consent (LOC)
Can you explain a little further? What is a letter of consent? How do you apply for it and what does it entitle the DP holder to do?

Can you work as e.g. freelance yoga instructor with a letter of consent?

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 1:27 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Consider applying for PR. You as an EP holder cannot start a company. Your wife as a DP holder probably can, but its a very complicated process and I dont think you wanna go there. But there are threads regarding this in the forum
Very little of the information stated here is correct. PR can be a very long and drawn out process. If your child is male he is subject to national service. PR is for people who intend to stay, not for getting spousal units a job. Don't abuse the privilege.

EP's may certainly form a company but it would probably raise less eyebrows for the DP to do the formation. Please note that in Singapore there is a legal distinction between "company" and "business".

It's not that complicated but you must do your homework.

Certainly, you want to "go there" if your wife want to legitimately run a business.

Check these threads, then find useful keywords in them to search for more.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic60398.html

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic75000.html
Just read through the first of threads. Makes some sense to me know. Thanks a lot for sharing this information.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 2:12 pm

Fortan wrote: Just read through the first of threads. Makes some sense to me know. Thanks a lot for sharing this information.
The information was already shared ;) next time just have a look on the search first :)
nutnut

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 4:26 pm

Fortan wrote:
Saint wrote:One point to remember, it's actually a lot easier than you think you a DP holder to be granted a valid pass to legally work in Singapore via a Letter of Consent (LOC)
Can you explain a little further? What is a letter of consent? How do you apply for it and what does it entitle the DP holder to do?

Can you work as e.g. freelance yoga instructor with a letter of consent?
http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

Unfortunately it doesn't allow freelancing as it's tied to a Company employing you

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 5:10 pm

nutnut wrote:
Fortan wrote: Just read through the first of threads. Makes some sense to me know. Thanks a lot for sharing this information.
The information was already shared ;) next time just have a look on the search first :)
I would have, if I had known what to search for :)