Singapore Expats

Shoplifting arrest- Please advice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 1:42 pm

bloodhound123 wrote:
You seem like a tourist and not a resident so I guess, for you deportation shouldn't be such a hard thing. Just pray that you are not jailed or something.
If the ICA stamps that he was "deported from Singapore" in his passport he is going to have serious issues travelling anywhere outside India.
ICA won't stamp his passport like that. Pretty sure data will be shared with some other countries though.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 8:12 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
bloodhound123 wrote:
You seem like a tourist and not a resident so I guess, for you deportation shouldn't be such a hard thing. Just pray that you are not jailed or something.
If the ICA stamps that he was "deported from Singapore" in his passport he is going to have serious issues travelling anywhere outside India.
ICA won't stamp his passport like that. Pretty sure data will be shared with some other countries though.
How would a country be able to request for records/deportations if the person is not a working/permanent resident in that country? If a guy has travelled as a tourist to 10 different countries, would the country issuing a visa check each and every country that he has travelled using his passport number/fingerprints?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 8:51 pm

Actually, his passport will be stamped. There will be a letter or numerical or combinations code written on the exit chop. The next time he tries to enter Singapore he will be found out. Possibly other Immigration agents in other countries have access to these codes for various countries. Not to sure there, but we do know fact that exit stamps are coded for various reasons, some temporary bans while I would assume other would be stronger.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 9:20 pm

bloodhound123 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
bloodhound123 wrote: If the ICA stamps that he was "deported from Singapore" in his passport he is going to have serious issues travelling anywhere outside India.
How would a country be able to request for records/deportations if the person is not a working/permanent resident in that country?
Probably not, but if he decides in one point to settle down or look for a job in some other country this may surface.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 9:41 pm

x9200 wrote: Probably not, but if he decides in one point to settle down or look for a job in some other country this may surface.
recently Russel Brand was refused entry to Japan, upon arrival, due to his criminal record in US or UK .. or drug possession .. which he hadn't declared anyway ...

How did that happen ? :)

Yah, he is a well known person in the west, but in Japan ??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... edian.html

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 9:47 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote: Probably not, but if he decides in one point to settle down or look for a job in some other country this may surface.
recently Russel Brand was refused entry to Japan, upon arrival, due to his criminal record in US or UK .. or drug possession .. which he hadn't declared anyway ...

How did that happen ? :)

Yah, he is a well known person in the west, but in Japan ??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... edian.html
Russel Brand is a UK citizen and hence Japan immigration would have run a criminal record check with the UK database. I don't think Japan immigration would have been able to track down a criminal record of Russel Brand say in Cyprus.
From what I understand the allied countries share their criminal databases with one another.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 9:47 pm

Well, OP is no celebrity and being from a country with the size and kind of opportunities like India, he shouldn't have any need to look at going to a foreign country except for his own greed, so no sympathies there for him :-|
Last edited by Wd40 on Sun, 11 Aug 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 9:50 pm

Wd40 wrote:Well, OP is no celebrity and being from a country like India, he shouldn't have any need to look at going to a foreign country expect for his own greed, so no sympathies there for him :-|
sorry I am cruel, and it was the first time he got caught right ?? :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 10:04 pm

Singapore is not Cyprus.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 10:10 pm

x9200 wrote:Singapore is not Cyprus.
What if 'a' Russel Brand were to come to Singapore on a 2-day visit and get arrested +deported during his stay( assuming no stamp in his passport )? I dont think Japan/US would know about his Singapore visit/bother to run a check on his records in Singapore

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 10:13 pm

possibly what bloodhound123 is saying is, OP can go to countries, like Cyprus, and leave out countries who don't share criminal records of travellers .. well, the question is, does anybody know which country is connected and which is not ?

And I fear OP could even transit in one of those 'do avoid' countries ;)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 10:14 pm

bloodhound123 wrote:
What if 'a' Russel Brand were to come to Singapore on a 2-day visit and get arrested +deported during his stay( assuming no stamp in his passport )? I dont think Japan/US would know about his Singapore visit/bother to run a check on his records in Singapore
ah, that's what YOU think ;) ;) ;)

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 10:28 pm

ecureilx wrote:
bloodhound123 wrote:
ah, that's what YOU think ;) ;) ;)
Allright! I was looking at the worst case scenario :wink: :wink: If a person were to travel to 50 countries on a globe trotting program and were to commit an offense in one the criminal record sharing countries, the next country's immigration would have to run checks on each and every record sharing country in order to track down that offense.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:16 pm

I've been on this board a long, long time. I remember when I put out here the fact that Singapore was going to incorporate all of their databases and start and had been using optical recognition software for some time and other here laughed at it. Seems I was spot on with my contacts. The next thing on the radar is advanced passenger lists "before" the plane even takes off from the originating country. It going to happen. Just how soon. The technology is already there, and it just going to be the implementation. You buy a ticket from singapore to another country after you have a violation/record, it could be there at the arrival country's immigration counter as soon as you step off the plane. It's coming, if it not already here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've been on this board a long, long time. I remember when I put out here the fact that Singapore was going to incorporate all of their databases and start and had been using optical recognition software for some time and other here laughed at it. Seems I was spot on with my contacts. The next thing on the radar is advanced passenger lists "before" the plane even takes off from the originating country. It going to happen. Just how soon. The technology is already there, and it just going to be the implementation. You buy a ticket from singapore to another country after you have a violation/record, it could be there at the arrival country's immigration counter as soon as you step off the plane. It's coming, if it not already here.
I read in one of the UK forums that UK has this in place already. They forward the list of passengers with criminal records to US CBP while you are in flight. :)