Singapore Expats

This is my Story :) Need help on few queries.

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 6:11 pm

ecureilx wrote: Rest don't even cook at home..
Home-cooked food is an oxymoron for lots of Singaporeans :lol:

I understand many Singaporeans dont know what the kitchen is meant for.

I have encountered several agents asking us "Do you cook at home?"
My answer "Yes, infact I come home for lunch" You should see the expression on their face :lol:

Another question many agents ask my wife if she works. When we say she quit her job to take care of our baby, again they look totally shocked. They think its impossible for a single person to support the whole family and a crime for women to be a stay at home mom :)

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 9:14 pm

You'd be better off just eating out. Plenty of choice and really cheap.

bat21

Post by bat21 » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 10:12 pm

WOW !!! Guys here are really helpful. Thanks everyone for replying.

Still searching for few answers...
zzm9980 wrote: 1) Your IPA will have an expiration on it. Most likely 6 months. Your kid doesn't automatically get a DP. You should cancel the wife's DP for now and re-apply when her and the kid are read to come over.

Is it OK to let IPA letter of my wife's DP expire and then I re-apply it by paying 60 SGD later on when the baby is ready for travel because the Immigration Agency has already filed for my wife's DP, Can I have any objection at that time from MOM ?

Wd40 wrote:
x9200 wrote:IT security who does not know where to find some basic information? In cases like this only WD40 can help.
I generally advice on salary related matters for people who seem to be worried about getting a bad deal. In this case the OP thinks he's got a good deal and is very confident about it, with the Razz emoticon. There isn't much for me to add :)
Wd40 what are your thoughts on Package I got ?

I found the website gothere.sg really good...it gives me a nice idea where to search for the accommodation...Thanks zzm9980

I got many SG Real Estate Websites thru Google but just want to know which one is the most trusted one. Any pointers for me ??

regards
bat21

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 12:21 pm

bat21 wrote:
Is it OK to let IPA letter of my wife's DP expire and then I re-apply it by paying 60 SGD later on when the baby is ready for travel because the Immigration Agency has already filed for my wife's DP, Can I have any objection at that time from MOM ?
It's probably better to notify MOM she will not be coming at this time. It will cause less problems when you re-apply later.
bat21 wrote: Wd40 what are your thoughts on Package I got ?
Wd40 doesn't work in InfoSec, and you didn't really answer the questions I asked, so there isn't enough info to give you an opinion. You're being paid above average for most IT workers from India. If you're worth more, I'd need to know what you do specifically and what experience you have. For reference, I run InfoSec in Asia (out of Singapore) for a "very famous" company.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 1:03 pm

zzm9980 wrote: It's probably better to notify MOM she will not be coming at this time. It will cause less problems when you re-apply later.
I have a indian colleague in the same boat .. will ask him on Monday what happened.. Our company applied DP for his wife too, though he didnt' get his wife here ..

I used to be in Infosec, and collected loads of Certificates .. well, my passion drifted off ..

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 1:20 pm

I agree with ZZM and yeah I dont work in Infosec and hence dont know how the niche the skill is.

Salary is relative. For some 90k may be unbelievably high. For me its not. Its just enough to make a decent living here in Singapore. 90K is like $7500 a month. Its definitely not low that you will struggle to survive. But its not high enough that will make you feel like a king either.

It also depend on how much you are earning in India. For example if you are earning like 18L INR or above in India, then on a relative basis you are better off in India.

There are many Indians who are willing to work here for as low as half of your salary for whatever reasons, but there are also lots of Indians who prefer going back to India as they are getting packages of 20-35L there and here there dont seem to find enough growth opportunities.

Also the industry you are going is important. Banks pay better for a like to like role compared to other industries. For eg a Sr developer in bank on permanent roles can get $9000 a month but to get that same amount in software consulting company you need to be a solution architect.

Here's the Kelly's salary guide which you can use as a benchmark
http://www2-1.kellyglobal.net/res/conte ... 012_13.pdf

As you can see the range is 5.5K - 9K. You seem to have got bang in the middle.

bat21

Post by bat21 » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 11:01 pm

zzm9980 wrote: Wd40 doesn't work in InfoSec, and you didn't really answer the questions I asked, so there isn't enough info to give you an opinion. You're being paid above average for most IT workers from India. If you're worth more, I'd need to know what you do specifically and what experience you have. For reference, I run InfoSec in Asia (out of Singapore) for a "very famous" company.
zzm9980 basically I have Network Security Background...this is my first offSec job , So I did not uttered a word when they offered me this role. I am pretty sure in my next jobs in SG , I will dictate my own Terms, my role in SG will be more towards offensive security not exactly Red Team but will work closely with them.

zzm9980 it seems I have to chase you for my future assignments in SG :P

Wd40 My current package is 11L INR (i know which is very less :D ), So a salary of 7500 SGD per month looked not so bad deal to me.

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: It's probably better to notify MOM she will not be coming at this time. It will cause less problems when you re-apply later.
I have a indian colleague in the same boat .. will ask him on Monday what happened.. Our company applied DP for his wife too, though he didnt' get his wife here ..

I used to be in Infosec, and collected loads of Certificates .. well, my passion drifted off ..
ecureilx I will be waiting for your reply. I have told the Immigration Guys and HR about my situation and waiting for their reply.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 11:34 pm

bat21 wrote:
Wd40 My current package is 11L INR (i know which is very less :D ), So a salary of 7500 SGD per month looked not so bad deal to me.
Yeah, 11L is pathetic.. You are certainly not considered niche with that kind of salary. Even generic .Net developers make 15L in services companies like Cognizant, in India. So yeah, $7500 should be like a jackpot. Take it and run :)

bat21

Post by bat21 » Sun, 11 Aug 2013 8:06 pm

Wd40 wrote:
bat21 wrote:
Yeah, 11L is pathetic.. You are certainly not considered niche with that kind of salary. Even generic .Net developers make 15L in services companies like Cognizant, in India. So yeah, $7500 should be like a jackpot. Take it and run :)
Yeah Wd40 I worked for 4 years for a same US MNC and my package got stuck...seems time is right now for me to change. Now I am praying just that SG MOM approves my EP applications....lets see what happens...Fingers Crossed.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 3:43 pm

bat21 wrote: ecureilx I will be waiting for your reply. I have told the Immigration Guys and HR about my situation and waiting for their reply.
I don't have nice news .. for the guy, when his employer applied EP for him and DP for his wife, it was approved.

When wife gave birth, child's DP was rejected. after 2 appeals, still same status quo ..

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:45 am

I have one advice - do not leave things to chance.

To make sure things do not go against you, make sure you book hotel for a duration of 2 weeks (There are many cheap ones) and bring your wife and kid along with you.

Get the EP and DP formalities completed as soon as possible, get their visa's issued and get the card with Multiple Entry Visa.

Once your dependents have their DP cards you can ask them to go back to their country till you are ready to bring them over.

Apply together and get their visa's together, if in future your dependents visa is rejected for some reason at least you will not mess up your family life then.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:04 pm

FaeLLe wrote: Once your dependents have their DP cards you can ask them to go back to their country till you are ready to bring them over.
Safe advice, based on my friend's struggle now ..
Last edited by ecureilx on Tue, 13 Aug 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:18 pm

Considering the OP's salary, it sounds like a nice MNC to me. If it indeed is, he should get a nice upper end P2 EP approved in like a days time. If that indeed happens, he doesnt really have to worry about issues about his dependents getting the DP.

You guys are really complicating things for him. All he should do is tell the company not to apply for the DP now and apply for it only when the wife and baby are ready to come.

I hope the OP's company is not a shady SME and if it is not, it really doesnt matter even if he gets the IPA and lets it expire.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:21 pm

Wd40 wrote:Considering the OP's salary, it sounds like a nice MNC to me. If it indeed is, he should get a nice upper end P2 EP approved in like a days time. If that indeed happens, he doesnt really have to worry about issues about his dependents getting the DP.

You guys are really complicating things for him. All he should do is tell the company not to apply for the DP now and apply for it only when the wife and baby are ready to come.

I hope the OP's company is not a shady SME and if it is not, it really doesnt matter even if he gets the IPA and lets it expire.
Agree with you that any decent MNC should not have issues getting DP's approved for their EP holders.

But at the end of the day it is just a matter of how much risk he is willing to accept.... Move together and make sure they remain together or Move and leave things to change (for something not in his control).

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:26 pm

Well, if you planning for the extreme, then consider this: His baby isn't born yet, so there is possibility that the baby wont get the DP, what do you do then?

Again, I can't believe an EP P2 holder with $7,500 per month will have problems sponsoring his child, as long as there are no issues related to documents.