Singapore Expats

is it worth getting a bike for a year?

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
l1ncs

is it worth getting a bike for a year?

Post by l1ncs » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 4:11 am

Hi, I have just moved to singapore and I will be here for just under a year. I am toying with the idea of getting a cheap motorbike as a way of getting around as opposed to getting the mrt/bus everywhere, but I have a few questions.
I have a full UK bike and car license, do i need to convert to a singapore license (am I right in thinking i can convert to a sub 200 cc) or can I ride on my UK license for so long?
How much can you pick up a bike for (e.g. an oldish cg125, cud90 etc)?
What other permits/tax/insurance are needed? Do I have to worry about road pricing or is that just for cars?
What is parking like? Can you pull up outside most places or do you have to leave in designated parking areas and are they easy/hard to come by?
Is it straight forward to take your bike to malaysia, indonesia etc for longer day/weekend trips etc?

x9200

Re: is it worth getting a bike for a year?

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 8:23 am

l1ncs wrote:Hi, I have just moved to singapore and I will be here for just under a year. I am toying with the idea of getting a cheap motorbike as a way of getting around as opposed to getting the mrt/bus everywhere, but I have a few questions.
I have a full UK bike and car license, do i need to convert to a singapore license (am I right in thinking i can convert to a sub 200 cc) or can I ride on my UK license for so long?

You have 1y to convert so you can ride using your original one.

How much can you pick up a bike for (e.g. an oldish cg125, cud90 etc)?

Probably 1-2k. Check out over here: http://www.sgbikemart.com.sg/usedbikes

What other permits/tax/insurance are needed? Do I have to worry about road pricing or is that just for cars?

road tax, insurance and yes, ERP charges (less than for a car)

What is parking like? Can you pull up outside most places or do you have to leave in designated parking areas and are they easy/hard to come by?

Formally the first one. In other places you risk a $70 fine.

Is it straight forward to take your bike to malaysia, indonesia etc for longer day/weekend trips etc?

Malaysia - yes, Indonesia - if you find the way to transport it over there, then who knows.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 12:24 pm

You're not getting your bike to Indonesia unless you ride one of these....

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 6:51 pm

I've bought bikes before for stays as short as 4 months. Always worth it. Parking and cutting through traffic like a hot knife through butter and riding up stairs, jumping off kerbs and wheelstanding to make a Malay bus driver happy make it a lot of fun. Get a dual sport.