Singapore Expats

shelf without drilling

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

Re: thanks

Post by x9200 » Sat, 27 Jul 2013 3:02 pm

naanwar wrote:
nakatago wrote:
x9200 wrote:Why do you need to have the router on a shelf? Fix it with few zip-ties to the shelter vent cover.
Or you could use those hanging racks used in showers.[/quote

This simple solution may fly with the THE BOSS as long as the hanger is "Cute".
We have the vent's lid right in the middle of the wall in the LR (must be so locally beloved designer's job although there are no swarovski crystals or LV symbols on it) and initially we intended to cover it with large canvas painting or some sort of enlarged clock. If your router is reasonably flat and small this may give sufficient cuteness factor.

As for the home plugs it is true it depends on the power line condition and what is already hooked up there but the good thing about it is it is cheap ($S50-120 for a pair) so no harm trying.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 27 Jul 2013 11:20 pm

naanwar wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
naanwar wrote: Nope. Not a man cave. I wish! bomb shelter has been converted into a food pantry and luggage storage

Getting a poor signal from my wireless router which is next to the broadband fibre's terminal point in the back of the condo. 2 vents in the bomb shelter. one vent connects to the maids room. So relocating the router into the living room by snaking the Ethernet cable through the maids room and the vents.

The shelf is for the wireless router.

so nothing exciting...boring stuff.
Sounds like overkill and you'll still have less than top notch wireless speeds. Instead, acquire a pair of powerline ethernet adapters, available all over Funan, and then buy a second router. You set a static IP address on the router, kill DHCP and plug it into the powerline adapter. Voila.. great wifi at both ends of the condo.
Thanks. I researched your solution and in the HardwareZone forum there were lot of complaints. I guess it depends on the electrical wiring in the house. I will research this once I settle down and see how it goes.
I set up two powerline setups in semi-D's in Singapore... router downstairs, access point up. Worked flawlessly. I found and used a relatively inexpensive brand... TP Link. I now have the same thing back in Houston... and it also works very well, and same brand.

naanwar

powerline ethernet adapters

Post by naanwar » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:39 am

Sounds like overkill and you'll still have less than top notch wireless speeds. Instead, acquire a pair of powerline ethernet adapters, available all over Funan, and then buy a second router. You set a static IP address on the router, kill DHCP and plug it into the powerline adapter. Voila.. great wifi at both ends of the condo.
Will this work with an access point as well?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:25 am

You even have built-in AP or extenders with the power line adapters:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... TL-WPA4220

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: powerline ethernet adapters

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:05 pm

naanwar wrote:Will this work with an access point as well?
If you price access points and routers you will find that access points cost more money. Routers and access points are essentially identical and you turn the second router into an access point by doing four things.

a) You turn off DHCP in the second router - only the original router assigns IP addresses to connected devices.

b) You change the static IP address of the second router. For example, if the original router is 192.168.1.1 the second router will have a static IP address of 192.168.1.2

c) You change the channels on both routers so that they are at least 3 channels away from each other.

d) You set the SSID in each router to be exactly the same.

Then plug your ethernet cable into the hardwired ports in each router... not the WAN port that connects to a modem... and voila, good to go.

You spend less money than an access point, and when set up as above, roaming devices like your smartphone or laptop will automatically connect to the more powerful wi-fi signal.

stiwi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stiwi » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 5:36 pm

As for WiFi nothing will beat the cable. Concealed or surface wiring would cost $150 / point but it is worth it. You also may want to check if the wires in the walls are RJ45 by any chance (ended with telephone RJ11 sockets), this would only need a faceplate to be changed (appox. $50 / point).

As for the shelfs without drilling, check for 3M picture adhesive stirps. They look like this:
http://bit.ly/18cDwhW

You can find them at Self-fix shops, cost about $5-6 and they can hold up to 7.2kg of weight.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 9:02 pm

Just make sure you don't try to hang them using that crap on ceramic tiles. They will not hold long. I know.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

stiwi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stiwi » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 10:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Just make sure you don't try to hang them using that crap on ceramic tiles. They will not hold long. I know.
It works well on the walls.
For ceramic tiles I use 3M mounting tape:
http://bit.ly/17zGUBi

But it can hold only up to 900g which for hanging a router is enough anyway.

The problem with lasting long is more due to the heat and humidity, so the adhesive part gets loose over time.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 10:43 pm

You need an instant grab glue compound "No nails' is good. Use gun to apply and read Instructions carefully. Avoid skin contact.

cost about 10$