Singapore Expats

Adult Dual Passport

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
mrsingabore2013

Adult Dual Passport

Post by mrsingabore2013 » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 10:42 am

I was granted citizenship last year to Singapore, and had to renounce my birth-country citizenship in order to take up Singapore citizenship. All well and good.

I am now considering "quietly" renewing my birth-country citizenship. My birth-country has no issue with dual passports/citizenship, and I'd like the flexibility of having my original passport/citizenship. I appreciate that this is frowned upon by the Singapore authorities, but it seems to me there would be no way for them to ever know about my second citizenship. I would not use this passport for travel, and simply have it in my "back-pocket" for future mobility.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Last edited by mrsingabore2013 on Thu, 08 Aug 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Re: Adult Dual Passport

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 10:58 am

mrsingabore2013 wrote:I was granted citizenship last year to Singapore, and had to renounce my birth-country citizenship in order to take up Singapore citizenship. All well and good.

I am now considering "quietly" renewing my birth-country citizenship. My birth-country has no issue with dual passports/citizenship, and I'd like the flexibility of having my original passport/citizenship. I appreciate that this is frowned upon by the Singapore authorities, but it seems to me there would be no way for them to ever know about my second citizenship. I would not use this passport for travel, and simply have it in my "back-pocket" for future mobility.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

quoted for posterity.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 11:27 am

Perfect. Let's not nuke him for a while.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 12:06 pm

Yup; it's wrong by principle and illegal in Singapore. On the other hand, some people claim to get away with murder.

EDIT: As expected, OP tried to remove his post just as x and I were mentioning it.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."