Singapore Expats

Airconditioning Expert for Car

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Airconditioning Expert for Car

Post by katbh » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 1:46 pm

Hi
Any help I can get would be great. We are getting the run around from Renault about the not working aircon in our Kangoo Van. they tell me it is the onboard computer that is stuffed and that it will cost $6,000 to replace that. I would think that an air con should just be able to be turned on by a switch - that could possibly override the computer. We have checked all the pipes and pumps, compressors and wot not - there are no leaks etc. You can hear the aircon switch go on but then nothing happens and does not get cold.
Renault say that they are not allowed to do any modifications as they are the renault service centre but have suggested that I take it to someone else.
Does anyone have any leads on a good aircon technician. I am fine with the windows down and the breeze but the MIL is coming and she will give me REALLY witch looks if I do not have aircon for her!

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 2:10 pm

I can't help with an air con guy but just a couple of things.

Do you have air con or climate control? Air con does turn on with a switch but climate control is much more complex. You would need a good auto electrician to bypass the climate control and fit a switch if indeed it is possible to do at all.

You say you can hear the air con switch on. Do you mean you can hear the compressor engage? If it is not engaging you could (if suitably adept) run a wire from the battery to the compressor electrical terminal to make sure it will engage.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 2:14 pm

it is a Kangoo.... so I doubt it would be sophisticated climate control. From what I can see on line, it is possible to put in separate thermostat and wire to switch - but need someone to do it.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 9:29 pm

This is where you want to go.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=alexandr ... 7,,0,-2.95

1007 Bukit Merah Lane 3 - the shop in the left most bay - with the yellow sign.

Very knowledgeable people. Reasonable prices. I highly recommend.

I also recommend Hi Mec auto services in the same block, farther down... definitely not the neatest shop but reliable and reasonably priced.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 5:42 am

Thanks StongEagle...will drop over there before work today.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 6:47 am

katbh wrote:Thanks StongEagle...will drop over there before work today.
Please do let me know what they come up with. They have been spot on with 3 vehicles that I or friends brought to them.

I'm going to guess you have a bad relay somewhere.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 3:11 pm

Like all mechanics he was skeptical at first that I know what I was talking about and kept telling me that it was just because there was no gas.

But eventually I got him to agree that it was the electrics.

He referred me to a guy across the road who I will go to tomorrow and see what he comes up with.
Mind you he charged me $25 to top up gas that I did not need!
Ang Moh AND a woman - what else would I expect....

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks for the referral Strong Eagle

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 6:54 pm

A friend of mine had some time ago problems with the aircon (different nature) and what he learned was going around many places asking for the repair costs was that the variation was HUGE. It was likely for the reason some of them tried to fix the problem by replacing almost everything while other get to the root of it.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 7:21 pm

There is always the SMRT automotive service center. It's on Ang Mo Kio Street 64, right by Motorola, NCS, and a fruit company. It looks like a big bus service yard, but they also do cars.

They're not the cheapest, but I suspect they'll be less inclined to rip you off as they're not going to be owned and operated by the same uncle who is selling you freon you don't need. They've always given me itemizations on what they think is wrong, and costs, and the prices are generally on the reasonable side.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 7:23 pm

And to your problem...

I have a Honda Fit, night and day from a French Van, but had a very similar Aircon problem. In my case, a relay was burnt out. It was about $150 to replace.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 11:42 pm

all you need is a jumper wire from the electromagnetic clutch to the + terminal of your battery - if you're aircon suddenly starts working.... you have part of the solution.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 6:47 am

Thanks PNGMK, I tried to explain it yesterday and the mechanic thought I was nuts .... until he gassed it up and .... yes, as I said.... it did not work. I will pass on your comments to auto electrician and see how we go..
Thanks for all your help. Will let you know the outcome. Apparently it is a fault with 2004/2005 kangoos....
Anyone want to buy a van ... going cheap

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 7:01 am

PNGMK has the right idea... and for a cheap solution, you might consider the following, IF your blower motor is blowing cold air, that is, the fan works.

Wire a switch into your dash. It controls a relay that turns current on/off to magnetic clutch on compressor. You bypass all the climate control stuff.

The downside to doing this is that you have the potential to ice up your system, as the magnetic clutch is automatically disengaged when temperatures get too low.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 7:45 am

Strong Eagle wrote:PNGMK has the right idea... and for a cheap solution, you might consider the following, IF your blower motor is blowing cold air, that is, the fan works.

Wire a switch into your dash. It controls a relay that turns current on/off to magnetic clutch on compressor. You bypass all the climate control stuff.

The downside to doing this is that you have the potential to ice up your system, as the magnetic clutch is automatically disengaged when temperatures get too low.
You do need to keep the pressure switch/s in series as well so the compressor isn't running when there is no gas if you want to do this permanently.

What you have stumbled onto is the mentality of 'cannot modify lah'. This island is full of people who have had their races natural cunning, instincts, and ingenuity bred out or beaten out of them by the gahmen.