Singapore Expats

EP Appeal / Appointment

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sathish_s2

EP Appeal / Appointment

Post by sathish_s2 » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 2:52 pm

Dear Members,

Thank you for all your valuable contributions. I have looked for a lot of information in this forum and benefited from the posts.

I have moved to Singapore with Entrepass and opened up a software services company. I’m trying to recruit my team and facing challenges in term of local resource availability with the specific skill set that we are looking for and resources that have those skills are very few and not interested in joining a start-up.

My application for EP for a foreign resource failed, with the reason stating that the company turnover doesn't meet the requirements to pay the consultants salary (6k/month). I’m planning to do an appeal for the same and need your expert advice.

It was stated in MOM website that the appeals can be made only through EPONLINE, Is this the only way? Can I meet the officer in charge in person to do the appeal and explain my situation in detail?

Meanwhile, we have already signed a partnership agreement with a software product company and rendered some services (delivered by me) for them and I see a long term service engagement coming up with them and I cannot do it alone and have to expand the team.

Would appreciate your valuable advice on how to do this appeal to maximize the probability of the pass approval.

Thanks in Advance

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 3:52 pm

I think your best bet would to find an SC or PR to fill your first position, difficult as that may be... that could well be another reason beyond just the revenue. In any case, for your entrepass to be renewed more easily next time, you should be hiring locals.

I know it may be difficult.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 3:54 pm

How about building an offshore team in India?

sathish_s2

Post by sathish_s2 » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks for your replies, yes we have an offshore team in India, but the projects that we work are of sensitive nature and cannot be done offshore and that's the reason we need to build a local team here in SG.

The plan / Road map for this year is to get minimum 2 Local resource on board, but then the challenge is that i could find the suitable resource and i understand that it will take time. The challenge that im facing is without resource i will not be able to secure projects and i cannot afford to loose projects till i find and on-board the local resource !

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calvink » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 4:33 pm

there has been tons of rejections for renewals recently due to tightening of foreign workers passes... I have to say bye bye to most of my colleagues here

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 5:12 pm

calvink, I've made mention of that as well a couple of time here already. Glad you are able to confirm. The latest twist on a successful renewal what the statement that it's only for one year and after that, bye-bye as he's no longer qualified under the new criteria. (And he's been here with us for 5 years). It's getting rather rough out there.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 6:35 pm

SMS/calvink - Are you seeing a lot of P2s and P1s being culled as well as of now?

sathish_s2

Post by sathish_s2 » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 7:42 pm

That's really unfortunate :( im stuck in a deadlock situation, as a start-up need to ramp up the business fast and cant get projs without resources on-board soon.
Is there any way that i can secure an appointment with the officer in charge from MOM, so that i can put forward my situation and the business plan and the challenges. The skill set we are looking for are very niche and it is very difficult to get a local resource. I have plans to recruit and train local resources as well, but its going to take time and my renewal for Entrepass will come in April...
Interesting & challenging times ! trying to find a way forward, fingers crossed.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 7:58 pm

While applying for EP for the expat didnt you explicitly mention that the skill sets are very niche and is rare in SG? Again the definition of "niche" skill sets is quite subjective. Terming a "seasoned C++ developer in a specific domain"
might not sound "niche" to MOM.
Just my thoughts.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 8:18 pm

I've P2s downgraded to Qs and Qs downgraded to Ss as well.

I'm afraid the OP is going to find himself in a bit of a fix as MOM is cracking down on foreign Entrepass holders opening companies and trying to staff them with only their countrymen (especially those from the subcontinent). While it's understandable they they want their countrymen to work for them, it's been abused so much that now they've ruined it for all and sundry. With the new entrepass requirements I reckon that you would need to have at least 3 locals working before you will be allowed to hire a foreigner, especially if the foreigner is from the same country as the Entrepass holder. You can try, but appeals must be made online. Unless you have something material that was left out of the original application, it's not going to fly.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 8:33 pm

sathish_s2 wrote:That's really unfortunate :( im stuck in a deadlock situation, as a start-up need to ramp up the business fast and cant get projs without resources on-board soon.
Is there any way that i can secure an appointment with the officer in charge from MOM, so that i can put forward my situation and the business plan and the challenges. The skill set we are looking for are very niche and it is very difficult to get a local resource. I have plans to recruit and train local resources as well, but its going to take time and my renewal for Entrepass will come in April...
Interesting & challenging times ! trying to find a way forward, fingers crossed.
There is a way, but I guess its going to cost you a bomb. There are body shopping companies out there that take people on their payroll and have them work on the client site. Robert Walters is one of them, I know there are tons of them out there. These companies can get EPs easily but the downside is you will need to pay them for example $10k a month and they pay the resource $6k a month.

May be there are well established body shoppers out there that can do with lower margins. Try approaching them.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 8:37 pm

May be there are well established body shoppers out there that can do with lower margins. Try approaching them

Optimum solutions is one among them. I have seen some really talented people who were let go by their employers and ended up working for them for a pay which is way below par.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 8:49 pm

Yeah, I know Optimum and Comtel as well. These 2 have become quite big in this space and many others seem to have lost out to them in vendor consolidation in major banks.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 8:50 pm

Wd, the only problem with that is that means the Entrepass holder isn't going to be able to meet the requirement for the Entrepass as they must show a minimum number of staff ON THEIR PAYROLL. Not subcontract services. Different ballgame entirely. Won't fly at all.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 8:54 pm

Oh, IC. OP is screwed in that case! He might as well go back to India and build his operations there.