Singapore Expats

MBBS Doctor jobs in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
bteh52

Medical degree from non-recognized European university

Post by bteh52 » Thu, 25 Apr 2013 6:49 pm

Hi all,
seek your humble input: a good friend of mine is graduating from a Dutch medical university in the winter. She's keen to try to find a doctor job here.

However her university is not in the SMC list of recognized institutions. What are her options? Can it be appealed with the SMC or is it a no-means-no situation?

She's found other options like Temporary Registration on the SMC website, but those seem all to require 3 years work experience?

Has anyone experience in getting the temp reg fresh from school?

appreciate any kind experience and advice!

much thanks!

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Medical degree from non-recognized European university

Post by taxico » Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:26 pm

bteh52 wrote:...a good friend of mine is graduating from a Dutch medical university in the winter. She's keen to try to find a doctor job here.

...Has anyone experience in getting the temp reg fresh from school?
if she can find a way to becoming a first year resident/PGY1 at an accredited hospital in singapore, she can probably stay... but it will be ridiculously ridiculously ridiculously difficult even if it were remotely possible.

why would she want to uproot before she's even completed her internship?

another way would be to figure out if she qualifies for any clinician scientist jobs in singapore.

edit: i forgot to mention: temp reg fresh from school is not possible. provisional only.

bteh52

Post by bteh52 » Sat, 27 Apr 2013 1:11 pm

Hi Taxico thanks for reply!
I've clarified with her that she's done her internship there.

It incl 6 months in Indonesian hospital exchange and then now back in Holland for another few more months to go. She wants to specialize in pediatrics and tropical diseases hence the interest in Singapore. She speaks basic malay.

Does that still make her case a hard one? Is there any chance with KK hospital here?

So it sounds like it really depends on a private clinic or a hospital here accepting her and then applying with SMC on her behalf?

thanks for any advice on this!

taxico wrote:
bteh52 wrote:...a good friend of mine is graduating from a Dutch medical university in the winter. She's keen to try to find a doctor job here.

...Has anyone experience in getting the temp reg fresh from school?
if she can find a way to becoming a first year resident/PGY1 at an accredited hospital in singapore, she can probably stay... but it will be ridiculously ridiculously ridiculously difficult even if it were remotely possible.

why would she want to uproot before she's even completed her internship?

another way would be to figure out if she qualifies for any clinician scientist jobs in singapore.

edit: i forgot to mention: temp reg fresh from school is not possible. provisional only.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 27 Apr 2013 3:15 pm

bteh52 wrote:I've clarified with her that she's done her internship there.

It incl 6 months in Indonesian hospital exchange and then now back in Holland for another few more months to go. She wants to specialize in pediatrics and tropical diseases hence the interest in Singapore. She speaks basic malay.

Does that still make her case a hard one? Is there any chance with KK hospital here?

So it sounds like it really depends on a private clinic or a hospital here accepting her and then applying with SMC on her behalf?
i'll be honest and say that it is probably not easy, if impossible, for her to land a job or position in the area she wants in singapore, being a junior doctor on an unrecognized degree (by SMC) with the barest of skills (-just- enough to be called Doctor).

http://www.healthprofessionals.gov.sg/c ... uates.html

if she is really still keen on trying, i recommend she visits http://www.mohh.com.sg/about_mohh.html

at the bottom of the page will be links to each cluster and on the website of each cluster will be a CAREERS tab. send off resumes to all positions she thinks she might qualify for - then cross your (and her) fingers!

KKH comes under singhealth.

in all seriousness, she should chalk up a few years of experience before heads out of holland. as an FMG in singapore, her conduct and skills will be intensely scrutinized by her peers, juniors and nurses of all sorts.

if she wants to proceed in applying for jobs at a later time, partially completing a post-grad qualification/residency would help too.

as for private practice... she may be hired as a C reg doctor in a private clinic/hospital but she would not be allowed to treat local patients... and it's unlikely a doctor with her experience and lack of connections would get hired...

sorry i can't add more to my reply. ecurelix might be able to shed more light.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 30 Apr 2013 4:01 pm

taxico wrote:....
KKH comes under singhealth.

in all seriousness, she should chalk up a few years of experience before heads out of holland. as an FMG in singapore, her conduct and skills will be intensely scrutinized by her peers, juniors and nurses of all sorts.

if she wants to proceed in applying for jobs at a later time, partially completing a post-grad qualification/residency would help too.

as for private practice... she may be hired as a C reg doctor in a private clinic/hospital but she would not be allowed to treat local patients... and it's unlikely a doctor with her experience and lack of connections would get hired...

sorry i can't add more to my reply. ecurelix might be able to shed more light.
referring to KK- you need 3 years + experience to come on board as a Clinical Associate .. from what I know .....

anupam_sb

MBBS (MAMC), DNB (Paeditrics)

Post by anupam_sb » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 2:53 pm

Hi,

I am a CA have have got a job in Singapore. My Wife is an M.B.B.S from MAMC (was on list of SNC sometime back but got dropped off due to some reasons ) and a DNB (Pediatrics) with around 3 year experience, I year after MBBS and 2 years after DNB (PG). I just wanted to know whether she can work in Singapore and at which level..?? Some high level salary she should expect in Singapore..??

I have read about the temporary membership on SMC but request If Someonce can guide or share as to how difficult or easy is it to get Job in Singapore and temporary registration..?? and what is the future prospect of India trained doctor..??

An immediate help would he highly appreciated as i will accept my employment offer on the basis of my wife's employment status...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: MBBS (MAMC), DNB (Paeditrics)

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 3:14 pm

anupam_sb wrote: I am a CA have have got a job in Singapore. My Wife is an M.B.B.S from MAMC (was on list of SNC sometime back but got dropped off due to some reasons ) and a DNB (Pediatrics) with around 3 year experience, I year after MBBS and 2 years after DNB (PG). I just wanted to know whether she can work in Singapore and at which level..?? Some high level salary she should expect in Singapore..??

I have read about the temporary membership on SMC but request If Someonce can guide or share as to how difficult or easy is it to get Job in Singapore and temporary registration..?? and what is the future prospect of India trained doctor..??

An immediate help would he highly appreciated as i will accept my employment offer on the basis of my wife's employment status...
You can only get any registration from SMC, with a job.

So, you need to secure a Job first, and the employer will do the application for T-Reg.

What kind of pay ? well, with PG, still with a 3 year experience, I am not sure, but maybe placed as a Clinical Associate = 3,200 S$ + ~ 1,200 S$ for night calls, and another S$ 800 .. or thereabouts.

And if you expect the wheel to turn fast, forget it .. it can take a few weeks to a few months, for the wheels to turn ..

Especially since her Uni is not in the list

If in the list, it can turn a bit faster+ a bit better pay to be expected

anupam_sb

Post by anupam_sb » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks ecureilx for the details...

So I understand that though her degree is not on the approved list she can get the job in Singapore but this may take some time.

Just one broad question, how is the general medical job market in Singapore..?? Is their a shortage or excess demand of doctors in Singapore..?? Kindly also suggest as to what is the best way to start the Job Hunt...??

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 3:59 pm

anupam_sb wrote:Thanks ecureilx for the details...

So I understand that though her degree is not on the approved list she can get the job in Singapore but this may take some time.

Just one broad question, how is the general medical job market in Singapore..?? Is their a shortage or excess demand of doctors in Singapore..?? Kindly also suggest as to what is the best way to start the Job Hunt...??
even if it is in the list, it takes time .. vice versa for any foreign doctor going to India .. :)

I guess you can do this :)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mbbs+jobs+in+singapore

For demand, excess or shortage .. somebody else may have to enlighten you on that

While there is a shortage, doesn't mean doors are wide open for foreign grads. ..

What is her PG on ?

anupam_sb

Post by anupam_sb » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks for your quick support.

She has done her PG in Pediatrics.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 02 Aug 2013 10:02 am

anupam_sb wrote:Thanks for your quick support.

She has done her PG in Pediatrics.
pediatrics has a better chance, from what I know ..

My 2 cents ? get your job, come here, and get your wife to take up some UK equivalent like RCPCH or so .. and then look for a job..

If getting your wife is a show stopper, I am sure you can get it done as well ..

rashisri

Post by rashisri » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 1:57 pm

I have done MBBS from India which is not recognized by SMC but I have 3 years experience in Obs & Gyn as a resident doctor here in India. Can I get a post of Clinical associate under temporary registration in Singapore. Please let me know any1.

waters

Post by waters » Fri, 07 Feb 2014 6:53 am

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out.

Im a UK medical graduate and have completed foundation training / 2 years post qualification.

I wanted some information regarding working conditions in Singapore. For example
1) average hours each week
2) frequency of on-calls & weekend working
3) duration of on calls
4) general fair view of work conditions.

Hope someone can help!

Many thanks

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 2:03 am

waters wrote:...Im a UK medical graduate and have completed foundation training / 2 years post qualification.

I wanted some information regarding working conditions in Singapore. For example
1) average hours each week
2) frequency of on-calls & weekend working
3) duration of on calls
4) general fair view of work conditions.
during my time... years ago...

-delete-

i don't think my experience applies anymore.

for me, it was more difficult to enjoy my job in singapore.

i felt worse than a slave. and if you're not a singapore MBBS grad, you'll always be treated with suspicion - as if your qualification was purchased off the internet. (okay, sure there are some poorly trained doctors, but they tend to come from certain countries/schools).

what are you seeking? just an OE or training or a new life? what is your PG qualification in?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

RayonRay

Indian National with MBBS from China

Post by RayonRay » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 2:01 pm

Hello Guys, I have done my MBBS from china, I haven't qualified the MCI exam here in India, but is it possible for me to work in Singapore with a Chinese MBBS degree.