Singapore Expats

An interesting article about the oldest buildings in Sing.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

An interesting article about the oldest buildings in Sing.

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:45 pm

#3: Oldest mall
Founded in 1932, C.K. Tang is the oldest surviving retail business and development in Singapore, although the original establishment was demolished in 1975 to construct the Dynasty Hotel (now the Singapore Marriott Hotel) and shopping complex in its place. It’s hard to imagine this household name began with enterprising hawker Tang Choon Kheng from Swatow, China – popularly known as ‘Curio King’ – peddling his embroidered linen wares all over Singapore. Tang built his business on the humble principles of honesty and integrity.

Where: Tangs (310 & 320 Orchard Road)
This is incorrect. The original building was still open for business in 1982 when I got here. It was demolished shortly after my arrival in '82, but my initial purchases were made in the old store.

Quick search turned up this.....

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_534_2005-01-09.html
The green-tiled roof and facade was modelled after the Imperial Palace in the Forbidden City in Beijing. This building was demolished in 1982 to make way for the new Tang complex.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 31 Jul 2013 2:18 pm

I like the old Bank of China building. It's nicer than the old one in Hong Kong IMO.