Singapore Expats

Part-time/ freelance domestic helper

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
angry scientist

Part-time/ freelance domestic helper

Post by angry scientist » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:33 pm

Hi Folks,

We are looking for a helper to clean our apartment once in 2 weeks or so (during weekends)..I have had a lot of those people available- but of late, many of them started not to show up and would not respond to call/messages. I need someone reliable, please share and contacts that you may have !

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 1:34 pm

Once in two weeks is not a good deal for any p.t.m unless this would be like >8h session so don't expect reliable and reasonable ones queuing in front of your door.

From my, rather extensive experience to boost a bit (only) the desired qualities you need to pay them accordingly - roughly 2x the average market rate. It still will give you only acceptable performance but you may at least count on calling you when they want to re-arrange something or intend not to show up for whatever reason.

As for recommendation, ask your expat co-workers or other expat colleagues.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 2:36 pm

FDWs (full-time maids) can't legally freelance because they'd be violating their work permit. You might want to check Craigslist, although that's not a guarantee you'll get someone you like or someone legal.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Wed, 31 Jul 2013 1:23 am

Is there a minimum charge ? If the place only takes 2hrs to clean can they still insist on a minimum charge ? I've been quoted $50 as minimum which seems too high if place only takes 2hrs to clean!

Thanks!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 31 Jul 2013 8:57 am

macaroonie wrote:Is there a minimum charge ? If the place only takes 2hrs to clean can they still insist on a minimum charge ? I've been quoted $50 as minimum which seems too high if place only takes 2hrs to clean!

Thanks!
Is that from an agency or an individual?

We used a local 'aunty' cleaner and we pay her $50 for 4 hours.