Singapore Expats

Entry-level IT jobs for foreigners?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
f468567

Entry-level IT jobs for foreigners?

Post by f468567 » Sat, 27 Jul 2013 5:02 pm

I am an Asian American with a BS degree from a reputable US university. I have actually spent the past 7 months working as a web developer. Other than this job, I have pretty much no IT experience

I heard that it's pretty easy to find IT work in Singapore as a foreigner since there are many job opportunities available. I know that to find work in most countries abroad, I would need lots of work experience or a special skill the locals don't have. That doesn't apply in Singapore?

If so, how do most foreigners find their jobs in Singapore if they do not work for a US multinational? Just show up in Singapore and apply online? Is it really easy to find an IT job on a tourist visa with my lack of experience?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but I would appreciate any advice on this

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Jul 2013 5:25 pm

You have been given a big chunk of bad advice. Entry level IT personnel are a dime a dozen here and unless you have a highly specialized niche, you are not likely to even get an interview. And, if you do get an interview, the odds of the Ministry of Manpower actually giving you an employment pass is virtually nil. Don't spend your last dollar coming here unless you have already signed on the dotted line with an employer AND you have been sent the AIP (approval in principle) letter. Sorry for the bad news, but that's the way it stands here at the moment. The days someone told you about were prior to May 2011.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers