Singapore Expats

Malaysian couple ROM before or after applying PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
scamille

Malaysian couple ROM before or after applying PR?

Post by scamille » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 5:01 pm

Hi all,

Me and bf are both Malaysian. My bf graduated from NUS last year and is working with Temasek since Jan'13.

Just wondering is the chance for me to get PR higher/easier if we ROM before the PR application so that I can be include in the PR application as spouse?

From what I learnt from the ICA website is that we have to make another PR application if we only ROM after my bf got his PR in SG.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Re: Malaysian couple ROM before or after applying PR?

Post by rdueej » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 5:42 pm

scamille wrote:Hi all,

Me and bf are both Malaysian. My bf graduated from NUS last year and is working with Temasek since Jan'13.

Just wondering is the chance for me to get PR higher/easier if we ROM before the PR application so that I can be include in the PR application as spouse?

From what I learnt from the ICA website is that we have to make another PR application if we only ROM after my bf got his PR in SG.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Yes, you can be included in his PR application only if you were actually married.

Regarding chances of approval, I would suggest ROM first, wait for 1-2 years and then apply together. This would show your intention to remain together in Singapore. But hey, I am just providing my 2c and can in no way pretend to second-guess ICA.

If you have nothing to lose, you throw your hat in the ring and you take your chances.

romeo87

Post by romeo87 » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 3:54 pm

Hi TS,

Both my wife and I just got our application approved last month with just one try.

Here's our stats:
- ROM in Malaysia
- Been in SG for 3 and half years
- Combined income about $74k per annum
- Both EP Q1 passes

So it doesnt matter even if you host your ROM in Msia. But my advise is that both of you submit separate applications since you have not ROM yet as this may boost your chances in getting approved easier. Else either you or him will be a dependant applicant instead...means ICA will consider if both of you have sufficient $$$ to survive..dont forget you will be joining the world of CPF once approved..