Singapore Expats

MyRepublic

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 1:35 pm

nutnut wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
nutnut wrote: I quite fancy the ViewQwest, I like the idea of the Viewqwest TV thing, anyone have experience?
MyRepublic's version of it works great. Everything on my AppleTV just works seamlessly.
So the Apple TV doesn't need any amendments to get hulu/netflix/bbc working?
Not with MyRepublic's Teleporter service, which seems to be the same exact thing as ViewQuest's service. You just need to make sure you're using your ISP's DNS servers, which is most of the time what you're doing anyway.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 2:04 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
nutnut wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: MyRepublic's version of it works great. Everything on my AppleTV just works seamlessly.
So the Apple TV doesn't need any amendments to get hulu/netflix/bbc working?
Not with MyRepublic's Teleporter service, which seems to be the same exact thing as ViewQuest's service. You just need to make sure you're using your ISP's DNS servers, which is most of the time what you're doing anyway.
What does Apple TV give you? I guess what I'm hoping for is the ability to use a remote control to play via Teleporter content from BBC / Hulu etc? I don't want to pay for films on itunes. I notice they are very cheap btw (S$148) but I've also noticed recently some android TV boxes that are cheap as well but I can't find any good reviews on them - I do notice though that BBC iplayer and Hulu have android player apps though which might be part of the answer.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 2:43 pm

PNGMK wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
nutnut wrote: So the Apple TV doesn't need any amendments to get hulu/netflix/bbc working?
What does Apple TV give you? I guess what I'm hoping for is the ability to use a remote control to play via Teleporter content from BBC / Hulu etc? I don't want to pay for films on itunes. I notice they are very cheap btw (S$148) but I've also noticed recently some android TV boxes that are cheap as well but I can't find any good reviews on them - I do notice though that BBC iplayer and Hulu have android player apps though which might be part of the answer.
No BBC from Apple TV. I use it for Hulu and NetFlix, but it also has HBO, ESPN, and a few others:
http://www.apple.com/appletv/whats-on/

Also, anything you either buy/rent through Apple, or download and host on a PC on the same network. Most non-HD movies and TV shows you download are already in a format AppleTV supports natively. HD files need to be converted, but it's a pretty painless process with an app called 'HandBrake'.

The AppleTV UI is also really nice. The remote works well, or if you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod you can install an app to control it. Especially nice because you can use a keyboard for typing instead of the on-screen ones.

I haven't found an Android or any other similar device that can beat it for the price.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 3:24 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Not with MyRepublic's Teleporter service, which seems to be the same exact thing as ViewQuest's service. You just need to make sure you're using your ISP's DNS servers, which is most of the time what you're doing anyway.
No BBC from Apple TV. I use it for Hulu and NetFlix, but it also has HBO, ESPN, and a few others:
http://www.apple.com/appletv/whats-on/

Also, anything you either buy/rent through Apple, or download and host on a PC on the same network. Most non-HD movies and TV shows you download are already in a format AppleTV supports natively. HD files need to be converted, but it's a pretty painless process with an app called 'HandBrake'.

The AppleTV UI is also really nice. The remote works well, or if you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod you can install an app to control it. Especially nice because you can use a keyboard for typing instead of the on-screen ones.

I haven't found an Android or any other similar device that can beat it for the price.
1. Can it download torrents?
2. Does it have a browser (safari) - if so I guess it can play BBC iplayer but would the remote control work?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 4:03 pm

No browser or direct torrent downloads.

But, it acts as a second display for any iPhone/iPad/Mac in the house. So if you want to browse, you just load iPlayer on your laptop and click a button to have the display mirrored to the TV. My wife does this for Vietnamese and Korean shows.

If you don't have a Mac, there is software for PCs which lets you do the same thing. The feature is called "AirPlay", so just look for software for Windows that lets you use Airplay for your display. Here is an example:

http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 10:48 am

OK don't bother buying an Andriod TV box. I did and it was a waste of money.

HOWEVER - the new Google Chromecast HDMI dongle looks like the perfect thing (if you have solid WIFI).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575952 ... rd-to-get/

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:19 am

Does anyone know where I can buy a longer fibre optic cable? The one MyRepublic supplies is only 3 m long and I want to move everything around in my condo now.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 8:14 pm

I used to use Kenable in the UK, they send out here I think... I am sure they have something here, Sim Lim?
nutnut

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:08 am

PNGMK wrote:OK don't bother buying an Andriod TV box. I did and it was a waste of money.

HOWEVER - the new Google Chromecast HDMI dongle looks like the perfect thing (if you have solid WIFI).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575952 ... rd-to-get/
It will only work out of Chrome though, right?
Give the Apple TV a shot if you don't want to wait for the Chromecast.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:46 am

http://allthingsd.com/20130725/googles- ... -sold-out/

ChromeCast sold out first day, so it might be a long wait.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 4:21 pm

zzm9980 wrote:http://allthingsd.com/20130725/googles- ... -sold-out/

I bought one on ebay last night for double the google price. We'll see if it's delivered.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 7:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:

I bought one on ebay last night for double the google price. We'll see if it's delivered.

Post a review as to how you like it. This seems mixed, but still worth it to me:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/07/ ... hromecast/

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 7:43 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Post a review as to how you like it. This seems mixed, but still worth it to me:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/07/ ... hromecast/
I'm thinking of getting one too. At that price point and knowing its limitations, hard to see what's wrong with it.

BTW, I read somewhere that they were able to make it play local media files by dropping an mkv into Chrome (or typing the file's location into the address bar) . I'm also wondering if someone tried a local home mediaserver to cast stuff or playing on-device files only on Play Music.

Heck, just making it able to cast a streaming video on a website onto your non-smart TV is worth it already.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:06 pm

It's cool, but I'm not sure what I'd use it for. For my main TV, I prefer the added functionality and refinement of AppleTV. Built-in NetFlix and many other clients, true second display functionality (as opposed to just mirroring Chrome), etc. Sure Apple TV is almost three times as expensive (US$35 vs US$99), but at the price points we're talking they're both peanuts.

If I had a second TV near my desk or at the office, or I was tied into the Android ecosystem completely, then maybe it would be more useful.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 27 Jul 2013 9:34 am

zzm9980 wrote:It's cool, but I'm not sure what I'd use it for. For my main TV, I prefer the added functionality and refinement of AppleTV. Built-in NetFlix and many other clients, true second display functionality (as opposed to just mirroring Chrome), etc. Sure Apple TV is almost three times as expensive (US$35 vs US$99), but at the price points we're talking they're both peanuts.

If I had a second TV near my desk or at the office, or I was tied into the Android ecosystem completely, then maybe it would be more useful.
From how I understood it, Chromecast's appeal is simplicity with a matching price point. It's capabilities are well within a subset of Apple TV/Roku/Xbox.

For example, I could get an Apple TV but I don't care for iTunes or don't want to bother with a remote. I also can't be bothered to make Netflix/Hulu work and I'm quite satisfied with the (web) options I already have. I don't see myself dishing 99 bucks for something most of which I don't want. Chromecast is much cheaper and simpler so I'd probably gravitate towards that, especially since it's only 35 bucks. You, as you've already said, will lean towards Apple TV more. That's cool since we both got options that suite our nitty-gritty preferences.

Here's a comparison chart: http://marketingland.com/compared-googl ... roku-53291

Choice is good; especially if they come with prices to match.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."