Singapore Expats

de facto relationship with foreigner to apply LTVP

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
SGBoy1121

de facto relationship with foreigner to apply LTVP

Post by SGBoy1121 » Sat, 20 Jul 2013 3:12 am

Hi Folks,

Im new to this forum and seeking your best advise. Im foreigner who got Singapore citizenship few years back. I had a fiancee back in my country where i was born and was thinking of applying for her an LTVP pass. We can't get married yet as we are waiting for her past marriage to be annulled.

Now my question is it possible for me to apply for her an LTVP pass considering that our status is what people consider as "de facto relationship"?

Many thanks for your advise.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Jul 2013 10:02 am

If you have been living here in Singapore and she in her country then you cannot have been in a de facto relationship. Therefore, I don't think there is any way you can sponsor her for an LTVP until you get married.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SGBoy1121

Post by SGBoy1121 » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 3:58 pm

hi sundaymorningstaple,

she did work for a year plus here in SG. also, she is currently pregnant and did a initial check up with the local clinic. Can it be considered de facto relationship?

also, any idea if there's anyone here who had actually successfully did applied for LTVP considering de facto relationship?

Thanks once again.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 4:30 pm

Well there's nothing to stop you trying, but as SMS says, the authorities may well question how come you've been living apart for a 'few years' and yet still claim to be in a de facto relationship equivalent to marriage. I guess this may also happen in the case of legally married couples from time to time; however 'proving' the de facto relationship when unmarried appears to be a higher hurdle at the best of times, so the multi-year separation probably won't help your prospects.

Your best bet is to use the search function above and read up on past similar questions, as this topic has been discussed fairly frequently over recent years. Here's one thread to get you started:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic77067.html
Last edited by Mi Amigo on Mon, 22 Jul 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 4:30 pm

Yes, if they are currently in a de facto relationship prior to arriving here then it's pretty easily done with just a statutory declaration.

You problem is a bit different though as she is in the US and you've been here a number of years already if you have citizenship here. Therefore ICA will see right through the ruse and you could foreseeable totally screw your chances here by trying to dupe them. They are occasionally dense, but they aren't stupid by any stretch. The first thing they will probably say is why didn't you marry her if you knocked her up. Valid point as well, no?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 4:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The first thing they will probably say is why didn't you marry her if you knocked her up. Valid point as well, no?
Fair point, but I think we have the answer to that already:
SGBoy1121 wrote:We can't get married yet as we are waiting for her past marriage to be annulled.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 5:11 pm

Kinda missed that one, but the rest is still valid. :oops:

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 5:18 pm

What may help to establish the 'de facto' relationship is a paternity test.

But the fact that she is still married may be viewed as an impediment by the authorities - just saying.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 5:34 pm

If she's in the US and he's been here long enough to become a citizen it's gonna be hard to justify 'de facto' living arrangements because that is what it means. Living "together" as man and wife with out a valid marriage certificate. It will be a heck of a stretch I think. Paternity tests can only prove who's sperm it was. Not if there was/is a valid relationship. Good luck to them though. But don't burn any bridges.....

SGBoy1121

Post by SGBoy1121 » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 6:35 pm

Hi All,

thanks alot with your inputs and comments. based on the feedbacks, i believe there's a low chance of getting there. So i think i shall patiently wait for the previous marriage to be annulled. then get married.

thanks all!

Godbless

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 8:19 pm

Remember, we are not oracles. We have a lot of anecdotal evidence and a lot of intuition from a lot of years here. What we say here is based solely on our data collections. There is always the occasional blip that shows up on the radar that gets through, but it's not usually enough to change the predominant percentages. Not like saying 50% get through but more like our feelings based on what we know and the data set we've been presented with. Whatever you do, we all here wish you luck.

sms

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: de facto relationship with foreigner to apply LTVP

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 9:37 am

SGBoy1121 wrote:Hi Folks,

Im new to this forum and seeking your best advise. Im foreigner who got Singapore citizenship few years back. I had a fiancee back in my country where i was born and was thinking of applying for her an LTVP pass. We can't get married yet as we are waiting for her past marriage to be annulled.

Now my question is it possible for me to apply for her an LTVP pass considering that our status is what people consider as "de facto relationship"?

Many thanks for your advise.
Just to throw a spanner in the works, what is your nationality and your fiance's ?? :)