Singapore Expats

Durian ..........

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 1:30 am

It's not so much the stink as it is how long it lingers.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 7:58 am

My favourite is the durian store in joo chiat called 'Durian Lingers'. Where?
I have always loved the smell and taste even though I did not even know of it until my 20s. I loved the smell immediately, never thought of it as being offensive - strong, yes, but not offensive. So I think that if you like the smell, you are more likely to like the taste. Having said that, yes, the texture takes some time to get used to. But if you try it first in desserts (custards etc) it gets you hooked.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 9:57 am

katbh wrote:My favourite is the durian store in joo chiat called 'Durian Lingers'. Where?
I have always loved the smell and taste even though I did not even know of it until my 20s. I loved the smell immediately, never thought of it as being offensive - strong, yes, but not offensive. So I think that if you like the smell, you are more likely to like the taste. Having said that, yes, the texture takes some time to get used to. But if you try it first in desserts (custards etc) it gets you hooked.
First impressions count. My experience is that if the first time you smell it, you associate it with smelly socks, then it's tough to shake that link, even years later.

I've tried, over a period of 10 years, the ice cream, the real deal and cookies. Each time, for the rest of the day, I was plagued by burping up what, to me, smells like second-hand durian, brrr.

Mangosteen, however, are fruit made in heaven, yummz.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:21 am

Max Headroom wrote:I've tried, over a period of 10 years, the ice cream, the real deal and cookies. Each time, for the rest of the day, I was plagued by burping up what, to me, smells like second-hand durian, brrr.
Ditto.

The flavor never bothered me but the aftertaste did. And the pure fruit can be overwhelming if you've had a certain amount.

I did notice though how people who like durian exclaim like you're kuh-razy if you don't like durian. I'm like, "oh you love durian; that's cool. This other guy doesn't like it. That's cool too."

No need to be fanboyish about it.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:59 am

What about Petai beans - or stinky beans. They are a classic. As bad as Jerusalem artichokes but smellier

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 1:24 pm

Locals think durians are like NS, a rite of passage or nationalism.
:roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 8:57 am

nakatago wrote:
Max Headroom wrote:I've tried, over a period of 10 years, the ice cream, the real deal and cookies. Each time, for the rest of the day, I was plagued by burping up what, to me, smells like second-hand durian, brrr.
Ditto.

The flavor never bothered me but the aftertaste did. And the pure fruit can be overwhelming if you've had a certain amount.

I did notice though how people who like durian exclaim like you're kuh-razy if you don't like durian. I'm like, "oh you love durian; that's cool. This other guy doesn't like it. That's cool too."

No need to be fanboyish about it.
I feel you. And it is even worse if you're Asian and you say that you don't love it!
Locals think durians are like NS, a rite of passage or nationalism.
Rolling Eyes

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 6:48 pm

katbh wrote:What about Petai beans - or stinky beans. They are a classic. As bad as Jerusalem artichokes but smellier
petai i can eat... but when i go for number 1 or number 2, wow... that is stinky!!!

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 2:18 pm

durain wrote:someone should make durian cheese or durian kaya. would go so well on toast!
While durian wine is on the way (according to ST), try to eat durian with rice. Add sambal if you like :P
"Budget Expat"

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 2:42 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
durain wrote:someone should make durian cheese or durian kaya. would go so well on toast!
While durian wine is on the way (according to ST), try to eat durian with rice. Add sambal if you like :P
Why don't you just eat deep-fried butter on a stick dipped in coconut cream for dessert while you're at it.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 2:46 pm

nakatago wrote: No need to be fanboyish about it.
I don't get too fanboyish about food unless we start talking about Martabak Manis....

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 3:03 pm

nakatago wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
Why don't you just eat deep-fried butter on a stick dipped in coconut cream for dessert while you're at it.
I've tried fried something-made-from-milk on a stick. All I can say is that I prefer stinky tofu.
"Budget Expat"

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 3:04 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
I don't get too fanboyish about food unless we start talking about Martabak Manis....
Jakarta? Or maybe Bandung?
"Budget Expat"

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 3:06 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Jakarta? Or maybe Bandung?
I've only had it from Jakarta and Batam. I don't remember the name of the place in Jakarta, but it was amazing. I'm told it's famous, as someone here had their brother deliver it to my hotel for me (and i brought him some back too)

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 24 Jul 2013 3:13 pm

durain wrote:
katbh wrote:What about Petai beans - or stinky beans. They are a classic. As bad as Jerusalem artichokes but smellier
petai i can eat... but when i go for number 1 or number 2, wow... that is stinky!!!
How about jengkol? It's not that bad if you eat it, but for 1 or 2, it's worse than petai :lol:
"Budget Expat"

Return to “General Discussions”