Singapore Expats

NS question

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 2:41 pm

kookaburrah wrote: It seems to me most generations quote the previous ones, and I sure you did too in your time - or did you quote your peers.

Maybe we're not quoting the bits you like, but that's hardly reason to post here.
Exactly. I doubt Katbh or anyone else here was quoting Plato or classic philosophers themselves.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 2:43 pm

JR8 wrote:
LupeSafarii wrote: To each his own beliefs and opinions.
"Herb is the healing of a nation" - Bob Marley
Bob Marley didn't live in Singapore though, nor was he subject to NS :)
He'd just be another grumpy Uncle at a coffee shop in this environment.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 4:48 pm

you mean he wont be as famous as the sticker lady?

LupeSafarii

Post by LupeSafarii » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 7:05 pm

katbh wrote:
LupeSafarii wrote:
IronMac wrote: Man, I hope that NS will cure you of that garbage.
To each his own beliefs and opinions.
"Herb is the healing of a nation" - Bob Marley
I just love how the teenagers quote the 60s and 70s without coming up with any defining culture of their own to quote. And then tell us who grew up in the 60s and 70s that we do not know what it is like to be a teenager!
"GBE b---h we hot b---h we smokin. I'm chokin, what I'm smoking potent. I'm leaning, rolling and I'm totin.' You know where it's O and the no end." - Chief Keef. Here is a quote defining the culture, time, and age I live in.
Does it really matter what time period a quote is from though? If it's something you can relate to or connect with, what's the problem?

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 7:20 pm

Thats more like it!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 7:50 pm

LupeSafarii wrote: "GBE b---h we hot b---h we smokin. I'm chokin, what I'm smoking potent. I'm leaning, rolling and I'm totin.' You know where it's O and the no end." - Chief Keef. Here is a quote defining the culture, time, and age I live in.
Does it really matter what time period a quote is from though? If it's something you can relate to or connect with, what's the problem?
Because if it's you quoting Bob Marley [you aren't the above is crappy rap] with which some of us are of an age to understand the cultural references; but you are not, then we wonder why you're 'preaching it' - to us.

That aside kid. You better snap out of your dope-cloud, because they are really going to kick your 'yah man, chill' attitude here, for six. You do know that Basic Training is physically and psychologically breaking people down - FULLY - before building them back up? As you are, you're really going to be made to suffer 'Big-time mahn!'

Have you watched 'Full Metal Jacket'? If not perhaps you should, you are the next Private Pile:
'In the making,
for a breaking,'...

[my little rap and tip to you yah...].

p.s. What do your parents say.... did they think you're a spoilt twit, or are they '''not cool about the whole scene man''' too?

LupeSafarii

Post by LupeSafarii » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 3:27 am

JR8 wrote:
Because if it's you quoting Bob Marley [you aren't the above is crappy rap] with which some of us are of an age to understand the cultural references; but you are not, then we wonder why you're 'preaching it' - to us.

That aside kid. You better snap out of your dope-cloud, because they are really going to kick your 'yah man, chill' attitude here, for six. You do know that Basic Training is physically and psychologically breaking people down - FULLY - before building them back up? As you are, you're really going to be made to suffer 'Big-time mahn!'

Have you watched 'Full Metal Jacket'? If not perhaps you should, you are the next Private Pile:
'In the making,
for a breaking,'...

[my little rap and tip to you yah...].

p.s. What do your parents say.... did they think you're a spoilt twit, or are they '''not cool about the whole scene man''' too?
I wasn't preaching anything. He stated his opinion on weed and so I stated mine. I'm not even complaining about anything, I simply wanted to know what the consequences would be if I didn't stop now. What's with the judging man 0o

And as far as my parents are concerned, I haven't done anything to displease them. I've managed to do well in school and I've looked after myself. Basketball and soccer is what I do allday everyday anyway. Not every cannabis smoker is the stereotypical lazy, do-nothing couch potato.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 7:56 pm

as a civilian, you can be charged under the misuse of drugs act. the law was changed this year to allow hair specimens also (previously only a urine test) to be collected under a wider variety of circumstances.

as others have said, up to 3 months, the drugs will be detectable in your hair...!

just make sure you stay clean before and during NS. as a serviceman, you can be charged with the MDA or singapore armed forces act... the latter is a urine test only.

you may be tested in-camp, and the penalties are not worth it (whether you're serving your time in "military jail" or regular prison your NS duration will be prolonged for the same number of days).

keep with a good crowd. take this time to strengthen your body and mind.

wakaka

Post by wakaka » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:40 pm

I am a local guy here who served NS for 2 years a few years back and I thought I could share some information about serving NS.

I am sure that there is no need to say how serious drug offences are in Singapore and it gets doubled in the military. You get thrown into the military equivalent of jail called the Detention Barracks(DB). To be honest, DB offences are pretty common, such as simple disobeying of orders or getting into fights or sleeping on the job like guard duties could get u a few days in DB. Time frame for drug offences are normally mentioned in years. Anything more than 7 days would leave you a record and could affect things like university enrolment.

I remember there was a declaration form on the first day of the enlistment to say that you have no drug related issue and if you do you can declare it and no action would be taken against you and they would help you. I didn't know of anyone who actually declared it though. And also there isn't a urine test in camp during my 2 year stint but I wouldn't try my luck if I were you.

Then again, it is not hard to stay out of trouble. Anyone can ask me if you have a question about the NS itself. Good luck.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 3:24 pm

wakaka wrote:I am sure that there is no need to say how serious drug offences are in Singapore and it gets doubled in the military.
Double death penalty? What a feat!

wakaka

Post by wakaka » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 7:58 pm

beppi wrote:
wakaka wrote:I am sure that there is no need to say how serious drug offences are in Singapore and it gets doubled in the military.
Double death penalty? What a feat!
Other than death penalty of course. :D

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 10:15 pm

wakaka wrote:...I remember there was a declaration form on the first day of the enlistment... I didn't know of anyone who actually declared it though.

And also there isn't a urine test in camp during my 2 year stint but I wouldn't try my luck if I were you...
well, we all know what making a false declaration on government forms can result in...

and even though you've not personally known or witnessed someone going for a drug test, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen with some regularity else where, wherein some soldiers are not behaving

wakaka

Post by wakaka » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:36 pm

taxico wrote: and even though you've not personally known or witnessed someone going for a drug test, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen with some regularity else where, wherein some soldiers are not behaving
What I meant was there isn't a regular or random drug test throughout the 2 years.

Of course I am sure that there are drug tests for people whom they suspect, but if you are not on their radar, no one is going to ask you for a random urine or hair analysis or something like that.

wakaka

Post by wakaka » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:39 pm

taxico wrote: and even though you've not personally known or witnessed someone going for a drug test, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen with some regularity else where, wherein some soldiers are not behaving
What I meant was there isn't a regular or random drug test throughout the 2 years.

Of course I am sure that there are drug tests for people whom they suspect, but if you are not on their radar, no one is going to ask you for a random urine or hair analysis or something like that.