Singapore Expats

Singapore NS defaulter bonds

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:40 pm

I'm still in Singapore. I've been here over 30 years now. My son is 24 & daughter is 29. Both born in the old KK hospital.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:50 pm

Well I was born at the old KK hospital nothing wrong with that.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:53 pm

Is your son a US citizen? If not, perhaps you could work to having his green card revoked which would require him to return to Singapore.

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 11:01 pm

[His a Spore citizen. His green card is expiring in 3 years

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 18 Jul 2013 11:43 pm

Aomory wrote:[His a Singapore citizen. His green card is expiring in 3 years
Perhaps the threat of losing his US PR for not doing NS in Singapore might motivate him. The US might not look favorably upon an immigrant not doing their legally required service in their own country.

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 2:57 am

With regards to US might not look favorably upon an immigrant.. well i spoke to a lawyer here in the US, according to them he will not have a problem being a US citizen.
Strong Eagle wrote:
Perhaps the threat of losing his US PR for not doing NS in Singapore might motivate him. The US might not look favorably upon an immigrant not doing their legally required service in their own country.
:-|

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 3:22 am

Aomory wrote:With regards to US might not look favorably upon an immigrant.. well i spoke to a lawyer here in the US, according to them he will not have a problem being a US citizen.
Strong Eagle wrote:
I guess you could stay in the US and ignore the whole thing... except your sureties will suffer. I don't understand why you put up a bond - I guess Singapore threatended to cancel his passport?

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 4:25 am

PNGMK wrote:
Aomory wrote:With regards to US might not look favorably upon an immigrant.. well i spoke to a lawyer here in the US, according to them he will not have a problem being a US citizen.
Strong Eagle wrote: Perhaps the threat of losing his US PR for not doing NS in Singapore might motivate him. The US might not look favorably upon an immigrant not doing their legally required service in their own country.
I guess you could stay in the US and ignore the whole thing... except your sureties will suffer. I don't understand why you put up a bond - I guess Singapore threatended to cancel his passport?

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 4:27 am

[
Singapore passport expired 3 years ago. He got a temporary passport which is expiring next week. The bond was an honest mistake, I guess I was scared by the threat

quote="Aomory"]
PNGMK wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: Perhaps the threat of losing his US PR for not doing NS in Singapore might motivate him. The US might not look favorably upon an immigrant not doing their legally required service in their own country.
[/quote]

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 2:11 pm

Aomory wrote:[
Singapore passport expired 3 years ago. He got a temporary passport which is expiring next week. The bond was an honest mistake, I guess I was scared by the threat

quote="Aomory"]
PNGMK wrote:
[/quote]

Damn - what a mistake. You could have stayed in the US without a valid passport for him until he had US citizenship. Well now you need him to understand the consequences of not doing NS and get him on a plane in less that a week, is that correct?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 2:34 pm

PNGMK wrote:Damn - what a mistake. You could have stayed in the US without a valid passport for him until he had US citizenship. Well now you need him to understand the consequences of not doing NS and get him on a plane in less that a week, is that correct?
Mistake ? Threatened ? Well, let me say, from what I know from only 1 case ..

You don't get a choice - either bring the kid back or sign the bond ..

Casually talking with some friends, the reaction was different - one group said, the kid must come here .. than burn his father, and the other, let the kid do what he likes ..

Well, for the second, I remember one of the NS defaulter had to come back to attend to some funeral or something .. not a wise decision, if you ask me, to default let things go to hell..

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 3:29 pm

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Damn - what a mistake. You could have stayed in the US without a valid passport for him until he had US citizenship. Well now you need him to understand the consequences of not doing NS and get him on a plane in less that a week, is that correct?

Casually talking with some friends, the reaction was different - one group said, the kid must come here .. than burn his father, and the other, let the kid do what he likes ..

Well, for the second, I remember one of the NS defaulter had to come back to attend to some funeral or something .. not a wise decision, if you ask me, to default let things go to hell..
No there is a third choice. The Singapore govt can't really sue you if you're overseas. So yes - you can default.

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 9:03 pm

PNGMK wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

No there is a third choice. The Singapore govt can't really sue you if you're overseas. So yes - you can default.

Aomory

Post by Aomory » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 9:07 pm

PNGMK: Well I was told that I should have renounced his citizenship when he was 11 or as soon as I got US PR.

The choice I had was send the kid back or sign the bond. Is there any other alternative: NO

I spoke to a lawyer and they said, the Singapore Govt cant really sue me since I am overseas.

quote="Aomory"]
PNGMK wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

[/quote]

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 9:31 pm

See my 1st reply.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers